Energy Company Iresa goes bust

Found 27th JulEdited by:"eslick"
thisismoney.co.uk/mon…tml

I know quite a few hotdealers are with these guys so thought I would share, not really a surprise they have not been able to get new customers since earlier in the year as their customer service was shocking. Their prices were amazing but ultimately I suspect to many customers overwhelmed them.

No need to panic if you are with them, your credit it safe and you will be passed onto another company you dont lose any money or supply, though thats not to say it will be on the same price but fingers crossed for everyone.
Community Updates
MiscEnergy
15 Comments
Ho Ho Ho. left them with a £60 compensation award from the Ombudsman 3 months ago

Their problems were really very simple. They were set up by an IT geek. Sadly, like most IT geeks, he didn't see the need for good, documented Processes. Geeks start coding, do a few tests (but without a defined process to test, the tests are worse than useless) and then keep on coding until they have long ribbons of intertwined spaghetti.

I felt very sorry for the call centre staff who were, by and large, decent, hard working folk who could see the problem and the solution. They even sent me the draft of a letter the geek was supposed to sign but he went on a never ending 'business trip'.
I left them a few months ago after my 12 months deal matured, went back to SSE, Iresa withheld the credit balance in my account and after raising several tickets with their customer service, this week they’ve refunded me £41.96. A lot of faffing about but looks like I got my money back just in time.
ccnp43 m ago

Ho Ho Ho. left them with a £60 compensation award from the Ombudsman 3 …Ho Ho Ho. left them with a £60 compensation award from the Ombudsman 3 months agoTheir problems were really very simple. They were set up by an IT geek. Sadly, like most IT geeks, he didn't see the need for good, documented Processes. Geeks start coding, do a few tests (but without a defined process to test, the tests are worse than useless) and then keep on coding until they have long ribbons of intertwined spaghetti. I felt very sorry for the call centre staff who were, by and large, decent, hard working folk who could see the problem and the solution. They even sent me the draft of a letter the geek was supposed to sign but he went on a never ending 'business trip'.

Do you know if these IT geeks did or did not employ/use a business director, operations director, a services director and a technical manager? It is of course, even with the best business people, a IT systemic failure can cause a company to collapse when out of cash.

As to the IT geek who never signs, that's not an IT problem, nor is it a process issue.
Edited by: "splender" 27th Jul
ffs I'm £90+ in credit, looks like thats down the swanny

edit, hopefully be ok, just seen this mentioned:
  • In-credit balances on accounts will be protected by Ofgem's safety net
Edited by: "darkovo" 27th Jul
My mum was with GB Energy when they went bust ; they were taken over by Co-op and there were no problems at all or money lost.
Haha! You literally couldn't make this up.

We were with Iresa last year, then changed suppliers, then moved house, then changed suppliers again rather than pay standard charges to the current supplier.

Iresa have for the last 6 months or so been chasing me for £200 odd, which I knew was wrong as the meter readings didn't match mine. 6 months of emails back and forth basically getting nowhere, but of course I wasn't having to pay in that time either so I was happy. Finally bit the bullet yesterday and phoned them explaining that the emails weren't being sorted. The very helpful lady at Iresa worked out that they actually owed me about £270! And now they go bust!!!

Just checked online banking, the refund has arrived!!!! Sorry guys, looks like I may have tipped them over the edge!
terriclarkfan18 m ago

My mum was with GB Energy when they went bust ; they were taken over by …My mum was with GB Energy when they went bust ; they were taken over by Co-op and there were no problems at all or money lost.

Co-op is one of the best, they are a mutual with heart for the British members.
darkovo41 m ago

ffs I'm £90+ in credit, looks like thats down the swanny edit, …ffs I'm £90+ in credit, looks like thats down the swanny edit, hopefully be ok, just seen this mentioned:In-credit balances on accounts will be protected by Ofgem's safety net

sorry should have added that to the op originally, changed it now
splender5 m ago

Co-op is one of the best, they are a mutual with heart for the British …Co-op is one of the best, they are a mutual with heart for the British members.

yep agree but they have now become expensive for us it was over £200 a year
Well my fixed deal was due to end anyway. Sad to see a local business go bust (I live less than 4 miles away).
I think the cheap cost was unsustainable. When they were essentially forced to take on more staff in March the tiny margins were eaten up in staffing costs.
Personally never had any issues in the last 3 years I have used them. But I never needed to contact customer services as bills and payments were always timely (apart from one doubled up month) and correct.
Have to wait and see who we get allocated as a new supplier. Also how does this all affect GDPR? Or are OFGEM excluded?
darkovo6 h, 9 m ago

ffs I'm £90+ in credit, looks like thats down the swanny edit, …ffs I'm £90+ in credit, looks like thats down the swanny edit, hopefully be ok, just seen this mentioned:In-credit balances on accounts will be protected by Ofgem's safety net

Credit balances are supposed to be ring-fenced, so we should get our money back. The first energy supplier to go bust while I was a customer (this is my third!), failed before Ofgem changed the rules to protect balances, but the new supplier that took over my account honoured them anyway, I think Ofgem made it conditional on acquiring their customers.

The bad news is you'll likely be put on an expensive standard tariff with an expensive major provider, so start looking for a new supplier now and be ready to switch.

The other bad news for me is I checked a few months ago, and the next cheapest supplier is drastically more expensive than the deal I had on Iresa, but that was about to end anyway.
Edited by: "melted" 27th Jul
The iresa portal is back up if anyone wants to download their bills.

According to MSE, customers will be switched to Octopus variable tariff at midnight.
Edited by: "melted" 31st Jul
melted21 m ago

The iresa portal is back up if anyone wants to download their …The iresa portal is back up if anyone wants to download their bills.According to MSE, customers will be switched to Octopus variable tariff at midnight.

I am guessing many will be paying a lot more from tomorrow.

moneysavingexpert.com/new…now
Edited by: "eslick" 31st Jul
eslick1 h, 10 m ago

I am guessing many will be paying a lot more from …I am guessing many will be paying a lot more from tomorrow.https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2018/07/octopus-energy-to-take-on-iresas-customers---heres-what-you-need-to-know

No kidding, I was paying 10.812p/kwh day, 7.738p/kwh night, 17.74p/day standing charge!

Flexible Octopus June 2018 v1 for my area:-
Current tariff

ElectricityUnit rate:14.64 p/kWhStanding charge:19.38 p/dayGasUnit rate:3.03 p/kWhStanding charge:16.80 p/day

Eco 7 electricityNight unit rate:8.31 p/kWhDay unit rate:16.25 p/kWhStanding charge:20.43 p/day

Edited by: "melted" 31st Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants