Energy contract coming to an end

Posted 17th Dec 2019
So I’m currently with Octopus Energy via an Affect Energy contract they merged. Should I switch or would you recommend a better supplier?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

28 Comments
I signed up to SwitchCraft in 2018, they check (from a list of suppliers) what the best deal is for me at the end of each contract and give me the option to switch or stay with current supplier.

Worth checking out as saves the hassle each year of looking for best deal (do lose out on potential topcashback savings by searching yourself tho
As do many others , go compare , money supermarket etc etc
Edited by: "mikeportsmouth" 17th Dec 2019
Join Money Saving Expert Energy Club. They let you know the best tariff for you and offer cash back on some. They also email you if a better offer comes along durring your current contract.
I've been looking as well for a new suplie as well, the one I'm drawn to is outfoxthemarket as by far the cheapest but I need to look in to it a bit more, the numbers they are showing me as a direct debit compared to the unit and standing charge don't match up.

I've been looking on comparison websites as well as direct, don't forget cashback sites as well to see what you can get when you do sign up as a new customer.
yorkie1217/12/2019 07:00

Join Money Saving Expert Energy Club. They let you know the best tariff …Join Money Saving Expert Energy Club. They let you know the best tariff for you and offer cash back on some. They also email you if a better offer comes along durring your current contract.

MSE Energy Club..

In Oct: 'Leave BG - they're a rip off - move elsewhere'!

So you leave BG....

In Nov: 'Join BG to save £300 on your energy bills'

I ignore their notifications now ...
I would also recommend MSE, really great service and you get notifications based on any potential new savings based on a threshold you can set.

Personally I am with Tonik Energy, they have been great the last 2 years and service is great, I know I could get it a bit cheaper but with 100% renewable electricity and the service, regular billing and updates etc I think it's worth it.
I go through look after my bills, and my bills have halved since being with British gas. I'm signed with mse & the cheapest tariff they recommend is always the one look after my bills switch me too. X
Gollywood17/12/2019 07:28

MSE Energy Club..In Oct: 'Leave BG - they're a rip off - move …MSE Energy Club..In Oct: 'Leave BG - they're a rip off - move elsewhere'!So you leave BG....In Nov: 'Join BG to save £300 on your energy bills'I ignore their notifications now ...

MSE or any comparison site can only work on current information. They can't predict the future. Would be nice if you could get comments like ' wait another 2 weeks and you'll save a little more' on comparisons but that isn't how it works.
Bulb is deff worth considering
deleted2244433
The general wisdom on this is that it rarely pays to remain loyal to any supplier. If you do like your supplier, shop around and find the best deal then call your current supplier and give them a match or I go ultimatum.
MSE were recommending igloo energy (good reviews)the other week if you know someone who’s with them get them to send you a link you both get £50 when it’s up and running.Also when account is in credit they pay 3% interest
Edited by: "rwf3820" 17th Dec 2019
I'm with Octopus energy and will have been with them 2 years in Feb. Easiest switch ever, quickest too. Their website is easy to use and understand, i've earnt so much credit for my account sharing my referral code ( I've requested back £600, and two lots of £400 too as account was in so much credit earnt from referrals and over payments during the summer. Later this week my account will be back to £400 in credit. You can earn £50 credit by joining via referral code and you get your own to share with in 1/2 hr of signing up to switch !
snow-white17/12/2019 08:36

I'm with Octopus energy and will have been with them 2 years in Feb. …I'm with Octopus energy and will have been with them 2 years in Feb. Easiest switch ever, quickest too. Their website is easy to use and understand, i've earnt so much credit for my account sharing my referral code ( I've requested back £600, and two lots of £400 too as account was in so much credit earnt from referrals and over payments during the summer. Later this week my account will be back to £400 in credit. You can earn £50 credit by joining via referral code and you get your own to share with in 1/2 hr of signing up to switch !

They must be recouping all this 'Reward' money from somewhere , ultimately customers have to pay or the company would go bust.
They are WHICH’s supplier again this year too .
+1 for Bulb.
I’d recommend bulb. Good service, easy to change direct debit about and update usage and see their predictions for your future usage. If you go with them let me know
Don't solely rely on MSE energy comparison. They do not search the whole market.
Sc4mp017/12/2019 07:10

I've been looking as well for a new suplie as well, the one I'm drawn to …I've been looking as well for a new suplie as well, the one I'm drawn to is outfoxthemarket as by far the cheapest but I need to look in to it a bit more, the numbers they are showing me as a direct debit compared to the unit and standing charge don't match up. I've been looking on comparison websites as well as direct, don't forget cashback sites as well to see what you can get when you do sign up as a new customer.

They may be cheap but BOY their customer service is horrific.
Had an issue with them just before I left, where they wanted to up my DD by 2.5x to "cover winter usage". They pulled this stunt on a lot of customers, rattled a lot of peoples' cages. Only takes a quick Google to find this out.

Wouldn't put it past them to pull a similar stunt again.

I have just signed up to green.energy who out of the bad bunch seem fair on prices.
I use MSE and having been a British Gas customer for years I finally decided to take notice of Martin Lewis's advice and actually switch. I did this through MSE Cheap Energy Club, switching to Bulb Energy which I can honestly stay have been great, my Energy bill has had two price cuts since joining in February this year, so a reduced Direct Debit, I am in good credit so no worries through these next couple of cold months. Customer service is very good and have even had a £10 credit applied because I had phoned them with a concern which was sorted immediately but it was an apology payment. I have had a £50 credits for recommending others which gets added to your account really quickly. I have just had my Warm Home Discount added too so I am very happy with them and would recommend Bulb, they also have No exit fees so if for any reason your not happy you can leave whenever with no penalty.
I also got cashback from MSE for switching through them.

I can't complain at all.
crazycatlady1417/12/2019 10:36

They may be cheap but BOY their customer service is horrific. Had an issue …They may be cheap but BOY their customer service is horrific. Had an issue with them just before I left, where they wanted to up my DD by 2.5x to "cover winter usage". They pulled this stunt on a lot of customers, rattled a lot of peoples' cages. Only takes a quick Google to find this out.Wouldn't put it past them to pull a similar stunt again.I have just signed up to green.energy who out of the bad bunch seem fair on prices.

Thank you very much for this information, I was going to look in to. It more due to the numbers but yeah looks like it's a case of too good to be true.
Bulb rates are variable so bills can change.

I am with Octopus their rates are fixed and very cheap on comparison site.
They have a reffereal schedeme where you can also get £50 credit on your first bill.
Message me if you want more infi.
Bulb are cheap, Octopus are cheap. Yeah right.

39419549-AEXI8.jpgMy usage is low, so at double the usage Eon is £950, Octopus is £1080 and Bulb is £1142. You can get £40 from Quidco compare so the referral rebate is hardly worth anything unless you get it as well as the cash back. If you refer people subsequently all you are doing is conning friends and family e.g. you get £50, they get £50, but they pay at least £100 more on their bill.
I was with Utility Point until last month and recently switched to Outfox The Market. No complaints about UP but we were looking for a lower standing charge which OTM had. OTM does have a higher DD in winter but it all evens out.
Edited by: "bozo007" 17th Dec 2019
bogglebrain17/12/2019 18:43

Bulb are cheap, Octopus are cheap. Yeah right.[Image] My usage is low, so …Bulb are cheap, Octopus are cheap. Yeah right.[Image] My usage is low, so at double the usage Eon is £950, Octopus is £1080 and Bulb is £1142. You can get £40 from Quidco compare so the referral rebate is hardly worth anything unless you get it as well as the cash back. If you refer people subsequently all you are doing is conning friends and family e.g. you get £50, they get £50, but they pay at least £100 more on their bill.

Maybe the wholesale price of energy has changed since Octopus customers signed up back then
Sc4mp017/12/2019 07:10

I've been looking as well for a new suplie as well, the one I'm drawn to …I've been looking as well for a new suplie as well, the one I'm drawn to is outfoxthemarket as by far the cheapest but I need to look in to it a bit more, the numbers they are showing me as a direct debit compared to the unit and standing charge don't match up. I've been looking on comparison websites as well as direct, don't forget cashback sites as well to see what you can get when you do sign up as a new customer.

Just make sure you do a separate search for both gas and electric and also click show all tarrifs not just the ones that they can switch you through majority of time 2 sperate suppliers are cheaper than going duel fuel I wished they did the comparison automatically but they don't and I think alot of people don't change all the filters too get the best prices.
deleted224443317/12/2019 08:26

The general wisdom on this is that it rarely pays to remain loyal to any …The general wisdom on this is that it rarely pays to remain loyal to any supplier. If you do like your supplier, shop around and find the best deal then call your current supplier and give them a match or I go ultimatum.

They never offered a tarrif that they haven't got already advertised I don't think they can give you a discount like say a phone company does or have you had any success .
snow-white17/12/2019 08:36

I'm with Octopus energy and will have been with them 2 years in Feb. …I'm with Octopus energy and will have been with them 2 years in Feb. Easiest switch ever, quickest too. Their website is easy to use and understand, i've earnt so much credit for my account sharing my referral code ( I've requested back £600, and two lots of £400 too as account was in so much credit earnt from referrals and over payments during the summer. Later this week my account will be back to £400 in credit. You can earn £50 credit by joining via referral code and you get your own to share with in 1/2 hr of signing up to switch !

It's probably working out for you but I find the likes of bulb etc and others who give joining fees aren't the cheapest out there so unless you do the dirty work for them and beg friends and family too switch I think it's not worth it I don't think it's ethical too get friends and family too switch just so you can get a few Bob.
MynameisM18/12/2019 22:39

Just make sure you do a separate search for both gas and electric and also …Just make sure you do a separate search for both gas and electric and also click show all tarrifs not just the ones that they can switch you through majority of time 2 sperate suppliers are cheaper than going duel fuel I wished they did the comparison automatically but they don't and I think alot of people don't change all the filters too get the best prices.

I always click on the option for all tarrifs, not just what they can help with, and also go on to companies directly on their sites to check.

I didn't know about checking about single tarrifs though so I'll do that as well, thank you for the advice.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants