Groups

Energy Credit

How is this usually worked out?

You pay your usual direct debit, and however much of it you haven't actually used goes towards your credit?

Just had a massive chunk taken out of mine from my old supplier (still in process of making electric inactive) and don't quite understand why.

Any help would be appreciated.

10 Comments

don't really understand ur question but I assume u are asking ur electric account was in credit by a large amount and u are in process of changing suppliers and they have taken a large amount off the credit. This maybe due to a recent meter reading given to them or estimated by them check the meter readings and see how much u have paid and u can work out how much u should get back off the old supplier when u change over or u may need pay them if u used more than u have paid.

Credit is how much more money you have paid, than the cost of your bill.
    Debit is how much more your bill is, than you have paid.

If you pay by monthly direct debit, you build up credit as they only creat a bill every 3 months.

For example, you pay £80 per month, and use £85 per month, so it goes :-

1st month = £80 Credit
    2nd Month = £160 Credit
    3rd Month = £240 - £155 = £15 Debit
    4th Month = £65 Credit
    5th Month = £145 Credit

This all assumes they have an accurate meter reading every 3 months - but they dont, they take one perhaps every year and estimate the rest (unless there is a system to send your own reading to them).

So, they may had estimated you were only going to use £65 on average per month, and you actually used £85 per month, so now they have an accurate meter reading, they are taking the difference.

The system does make mistakes, I was being over-estimated for 18 months and actually used far less than expected - due to being overseas for 6 months, but the system decided I had used far more - gone around the clock - and tried to up my monthly payments to nearly £3,000!!

I don't fully understand your question due to lack of details but by closing your account with your previous supplier in the winter there is a good chance you owed a fair bit of money.

The direct debit setup works by estimating how much electricity you might use over a year and divides the cost into 12 equal monthly payments. During the winter months it is likely that your direct debit payments come to less than you actually owe. If you had cancelled during the summer the chances are the supplier would have owed you money.

It also depends on when you started your account as to how much credit/debit you might be in when you terminate. For example I have just set up a new direct debit for £45 per month from the 1st December. There is no way that this amount will cover what I use over the winter but it will right itself over next summer.

Original Poster

Sorry, I was in a rush so left out details.

This is more about gas than electric.

I have been with SSE since moving into my new flat in April this year. I live on my own and have never used much in the way of gas. Probably use an average amount of electric.

I paid £23 for electric and £15 for gas, both monthly DD. As it is now winter, my gas DD has been put up to £64 a month. I use less than 3 units a day (don't know what that works out as money wise) but I always thought I wasn't using much.

They have always seemed to mess about with my credit as it would sometimes drastically change to a lower amount after bills and meter readings, despite what I thought was low usage.

They even tried to tell me I was in debit because I was using £34 of gas a month, in summer... I know that wasn't right.

My most recent gas bill for £64, also took off £65 from my credit.

Still a bit light on details but have you checked SSE have the correct meter for your property? Check the bill for the units they think you are using against what it says on the meter. i.e. Are they charging you for gas on an imperial meter ft3 vs M3. There are still meters out there.
    Are you giving them the correct numbers? (Not the red digit)

Edited by: "getmeone" 12th Dec 2016

Original Poster

getmeone

Still a bit light on details but have you checked SSE have the correct … Still a bit light on details but have you checked SSE have the correct meter for your property? Check the bill for the units they think you are using against what it says on the meter. i.e. Are they charging you for gas on an imperial meter ft3 vs M3. There are still meters out there.Are you giving them the correct numbers? (Not the red digit)

​When I moved in it was an old meter, but it has to be too be replaced. It took them a while, but SSE finally got the correct meter details updated to my account.

I do paperless bills, so I would need to check my account online. Think I would need to download a PDF maybe.

I'm definitely giving the correct numbers.

CaptCShadow

Sorry, I was in a rush so left out details.This is more about gas than … Sorry, I was in a rush so left out details.This is more about gas than electric.I have been with SSE since moving into my new flat in April this year. I live on my own and have never used much in the way of gas. Probably use an average amount of electric.I paid £23 for electric and £15 for gas, both monthly DD. As it is now winter, my gas DD has been put up to £64 a month. I use less than 3 units a day (don't know what that works out as money wise) but I always thought I wasn't using much.They have always seemed to mess about with my credit as it would sometimes drastically change to a lower amount after bills and meter readings, despite what I thought was low usage.They even tried to tell me I was in debit because I was using £34 of gas a month, in summer... I know that wasn't right.My most recent gas bill for £64, also took off £65 from my credit.

This seems to have no correlation with what you originally wrote in the op.

chocci

This seems to have no correlation with what you originally wrote in the … This seems to have no correlation with what you originally wrote in the op.

​Yes lol the mystery is deepning. u say it's 2 units a day that's either around 32kw or or 66kwh or some other amount that's roughly how much my meter is and a different one.for my parents has the latter. u really need to work out how many kwhs u have used and what that costs. with sse the price could be anything from 2.5p kwh hour to 6p per kwh plus standing charge mostly likely u will be on one of the most expensive tarriffs as u haven't changed for a long time so even with less usage u will probably be paying a lot for that gas and standing charge.

and how do u know 34 pounds isn't right have u got no gas boiler and no other gas appliances. don't forget standing charge maybe most of that aswell. u may be best off on a no standing charge tariff like ebico does but there unit costs redicilous like 5p per kwh or something.

Why not use the Gas and electricity price CALCULATOR, it can be used with lots of energy firms to check gas & electric cost of energy used

ukpower.co.uk/sma…kup
    Edited by: "rialto" 12th Dec 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Does anyone have a Xbox gold trial code33
      2. Furniture Sliders22
      3. Argos 3 for 2 reserving early11
      4. SCS add ons... are they worth it??22

See more discussions