Posted 22nd Feb 2021
Hi all,
Just wondering this is the same for everyone or just for me...

I switched energy providers to Outfox the Market in Feb 2020, and the tarrif ends next week.

We were quoted £66 per month which was amazingly cheap at the time! Halfway through they were threatening to increase our direct debit which we protested and they never did, since we were always in credit every time they took a payment.

I was shopping around for hours last night, and the cheapest I could fit was with EDF energy for £83 per month!!

Is this just me or has energy prices risen dramatically

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
33 Comments
  1. Avatar
    You'll get a surprise when you get your final bill!

And yes, energy prices have risen.
  2. Avatar
    Same here, With Avro fixed until 24/03/21.
    Unless I get a smart meter I cant get a tariff that saves me money.
    Im thinking of going with Octopus for cashback £50 / £80, then bulb for more cashback £50 / £75 in the short term.
    Then hope for a better fixed price to turn up.
  3. Avatar
    Author
    Benjimoron22/02/2021 09:23

You'll get a surprise when you get your final bill!And yes, energy prices …You'll get a surprise when you get your final bill!And yes, energy prices have risen.

4. Avatar
    Author
    bigwheels22/02/2021 09:24

Same here, With Avro fixed until 24/03/21.Unless I get a smart meter I …Same here, With Avro fixed until 24/03/21.Unless I get a smart meter I cant get a tariff that saves me money.Im thinking of going with Octopus for cashback £50 / £80, then bulb for more cashback £50 / £75 in the short term.Then hope for a better fixed price to turn up.

I’ve gone for no exit fees so I can easily switch if I find anything
  5. Avatar
    harribotangfastics22/02/2021 09:41

I’ve gone for no exit fees so I can easily switch if I find anything

Thats why im going to Octopus, then bulb. No exit fees.
  6. Avatar
    I've just changed to octopus and same here, I couldn't get anywhere near last years price. A lot more working from home in the last year means we've used more electricity but not that much - gone from £102/month to about £135/month. Gas & electricity. Octopus were not the cheapest but not far off but the 5p/kwh overnight for 4 hours swung it.
  7. Avatar
    I managed to get £79 by swapping to Eon last month and that was the cheapest available ( should get £44 from TCB too). Previously we were paying £65/month. Did notice that Eon had put the price up twice in the 2 weeks or so I was waiting for the swap to complete, I still got agreed price though.
  8. Avatar
    Prices have gone up but its the wrong time of the year as well, look for a one with no exit fees and consider octopus we cant refer on here but check out MSE they allow them.
  9. Avatar
    I have recently switched from Outfox to EDF. Got the credit with Outfox back within 6-7 weeks of the switch. I switched from December and prices have indeed jumped.
  10. Avatar
    What site is that cash back on please
  11. Avatar
    Author
    rwf382022/02/2021 10:52

What site is that cash back on please

Depends on the tarrif, topcashback only has deals on for the more expensive, if you ask on mse they have a £50 cash back referral or via honey I got £20
  12. Avatar
    Igloo quite good even pay interest on surplus money you have in account and not a bad customer service
  13. Avatar
    Author
    rwf382022/02/2021 11:12

Igloo quite good even pay interest on surplus money you have in account …Igloo quite good even pay interest on surplus money you have in account and not a bad customer service

It’s variable though, but not what we’re looking for. Thanks for the suggestion though
    Edited by: "harribotangfastics" 22nd Feb 2021
  14. Avatar
    please please please submit regular meter readings to your supplier. I see the same story all the time where people think they're paying enough each month, and then get a nasty surprise when they finally submit a reading after 6 months. That's not the supplier being expensive, or trying to rip you off, that's you not giving them the right information to produce accurate bills.

You can save yourself a lot of time and effort by keeping your account sup to date, rather than switching around all the time.
  15. Avatar
    Author
    Cerebella22/02/2021 11:22

please please please submit regular meter readings to your supplier. I see …please please please submit regular meter readings to your supplier. I see the same story all the time where people think they're paying enough each month, and then get a nasty surprise when they finally submit a reading after 6 months. That's not the supplier being expensive, or trying to rip you off, that's you not giving them the right information to produce accurate bills.You can save yourself a lot of time and effort by keeping your account sup to date, rather than switching around all the time.

We do, outfox aren’t very good at sending emails to remind you like they say they would when you sign up, we just learnt that it it’s it done by the 4th we get charged. Hopefully EDF supports the smart meter I got from sse
  16. Avatar
    Cerebella22/02/2021 11:22

please please please submit regular meter readings to your supplier. I see …please please please submit regular meter readings to your supplier. I see the same story all the time where people think they're paying enough each month, and then get a nasty surprise when they finally submit a reading after 6 months. That's not the supplier being expensive, or trying to rip you off, that's you not giving them the right information to produce accurate bills.You can save yourself a lot of time and effort by keeping your account sup to date, rather than switching around all the time.

Avro are good at reminders for readings, Just got one by email this morning.
    5 more will come in the next 10 days for the rest of my family.
    Email,
    Please submit your reading in the next 3 days for an accurate bill.
  17. Avatar
    I was paying £83 a month now I'm going to be paying £97 a month.

The fallout from the pandemic I guess.
  18. Avatar
    harribotangfastics22/02/2021 11:00

Depends on the tarrif, topcashback only has deals on for the more …Depends on the tarrif, topcashback only has deals on for the more expensive, if you ask on mse they have a £50 cash back referral or via honey I got £20

That isn't true , I checked on several comparison sites, including MSE Energy Club and found Top Cash Back Compare were the cheapest taking the cash back into account. Remember prices vary by location too with the energy companies.
  19. Avatar
    Im with outfox and send them meter readings every month. That way i know what im doing no surprises. Ive got a good deal for 12 months and so far no price increases
  20. Avatar
    Author
    yorkie1222/02/2021 11:32

That isn't true , I checked on several comparison sites, including MSE …That isn't true , I checked on several comparison sites, including MSE Energy Club and found Top Cash Back Compare were the cheapest taking the cash back into account. Remember prices vary by location too with the energy companies.

That’s what I experienced it isn’t going to be the same
  21. Avatar
    energy prices have gone up i am afraid, like everything else. it is a sign of things to come.
  22. Avatar
    harribotangfastics22/02/2021 11:24

We do, outfox aren’t very good at sending emails to remind you like they s …We do, outfox aren’t very good at sending emails to remind you like they say they would when you sign up, we just learnt that it it’s it done by the 4th we get charged. Hopefully EDF supports the smart meter I got from sse

I am surprised - Outfox sent me a reminder email every month without a single miss. Eon is worse - no reminder emails and a meter reading required only every 3 months. I am still submitting one monthly. A recurring reminder on the phone works.
  23. Avatar
    I was recently on the British gas march 2021v2 tariff. When I did the compare the markets etc there was no cheaper tariffs at all. I looked into it and saw that energy prices had indeed gone up for everyone. I started the process to move to avro and cancelled after a day. British gas then got in contact by text/call to see if they could keep me. They still had it as I was moving. In the end I got a fixed April 2021 tariff with 15% discount. This brought it to nearly what I had last year. So in all I'm happy.
  24. Avatar
    "Halfway through they were threatening to increase our direct debit which we protested and they never did"

My energy provider does this every year, round about this time, and every time I get in touch & tell them not to. It's because they base my coming year's use on what I've used over the last 4 months. Also, as hard as it is to believe, the calculation doesn't take into account my account balance if I'm in credit!
  25. Avatar
    Quidco have a £20 energy switch 'boost' this week
  26. Avatar
    mutley122/02/2021 11:41

energy prices have gone up i am afraid, like everything else. it is a …energy prices have gone up i am afraid, like everything else. it is a sign of things to come.

Mutley. In December you said the £ would fall against the Euro when in fact it has gone up over 5 cents.

Time to polish the crystal ball.
  27. Avatar
    How much do you owe your current supplier?

I doubt you are in credit. Once you establish your real position then we might be able to help.
  28. Avatar
    _stan22/02/2021 10:08

but the 5p/kwh overnight for 4 hours swung it.

Can you please explain. I am with Octopus fixed now.
  29. Avatar
    maabus22/02/2021 19:06

Can you please explain. I am with Octopus fixed now.

They have a tariff called "Octopus Go" which gives you electricity between 00:30-04:30 at 5p/kwh. It's more for electric vehicles really - I'll be using 29kwh to charge my car at this time so it's a decent saving. You can probably run some other appliances at this time too, I don't think it knows if you're charging a car or not.

I'm on the process of switching but it looks like you need to switch to Octopus first and then change to Octopus Go once you're up and running with them. I think this is because they need to install a smart meter before you can change.

I suspect you'll be able to change if you're an existing customer too, you'll just need them to install a smart meter.
  30. Avatar
    Makes sense . Thanks Stan.
    Edited by: "maabus" 22nd Feb 2021
  31. Avatar
    For me avro slightly cheaper than outfox...I think avro dropped there standing charges below ofm..... competition between the 2 but don't like the fact avro and ofm may fold and you will loose all your credit.....like Ebico.. British Gas washing there hands don't want to know.
  32. Avatar
    Gohan12322/02/2021 20:20

For me avro slightly cheaper than outfox...I think avro dropped there …For me avro slightly cheaper than outfox...I think avro dropped there standing charges below ofm..... competition between the 2 but don't like the fact avro and ofm may fold and you will loose all your credit.....like Ebico.. British Gas washing there hands don't want to know.

Had that issue with Ebico, took months to sort out.
    Would never go to BG again even if my life depended on it.
    Just waiting for £180 refund from Avro.
    About a month to get it. 1 week for email reply, 1 week to action and 2 weeks for it to arrive.
    A bit of a joke.
    Going to Octopus with £80 cash back for a month or two, then back to Bulb with £75 - £80 cash back.
    That will help with this years price rises
Post a comment
Top Merchants