Energy switch but with a smart meter

Posted 12th MayEdited by:"rimalpatel007"
My fixed price with current provider ends mid-june. MSE comparison tells me Eon is the next provider to save £££ but have to be on a Smart Meter.

Currenytly I submit readings on a monthly basis which I am happy with.
Gas meter in kitchen unit and Electricity meter in halway cupboard

What's everyone's view on smart meters and would you honeslty recommend one?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
Look at Avro energy they are 4TH in price for me.
But I need to claim Warm home discount for a disabled person which they do, Also no smart meters need fitting.
Otfox the market are the cheapest but customer service is bad.

People offer referrals for Bulb and octopus energy of £75.00

Ive done 5 switches to Avro in the last month.
All for my friends and family.
No issues with switching at all.
1. I submit meter reading every month. I can't see how smart meter benefit me. And I can't be bother to take a day off waiting for engineer.

2. MSE comparison do not show the whole market. Use one of those accredited by ofgem.
ofgem.gov.uk/con…tes

3. Check price with gas only & electricity only supplier. Mine work out cheaper than going for dual fuel with single supplier.
I have a smart meter. Only benefit is that it saves me having to go outside once a month to read the meters (which is OK in Summer but not very nice in Winter).
cis_groupie12/05/2020 15:35

I have a smart meter. Only benefit is that it saves me having to go …I have a smart meter. Only benefit is that it saves me having to go outside once a month to read the meters (which is OK in Summer but not very nice in Winter).

Stick a cheap WiFi camera in there!
Eon are a complete rip off! Why on earth would anyone even think of switching to them. Please. Use a switching website and enable the option to switch to providers who they cannot switch you to (and collect £30). I checked my prices the other day and looked at Eon to see what the difference was. It was +50%. Not +5%. Not a small increase. Literally £500pa over and above Symbio (electric) & Gulf (gas).

Smart meters benefit the industry only. Suppliers have to take readings every 2 years by a man in a van visiting your home. They will save Billions but you wont see any cost reduction in your bill.

The data doesn't even improve the national data set.
ccnp12/05/2020 15:42

Eon are a complete rip off! Why on earth would anyone even think of …Eon are a complete rip off! Why on earth would anyone even think of switching to them. Please. Use a switching website and enable the option to switch to providers who they cannot switch you to (and collect £30). I checked my prices the other day and looked at Eon to see what the difference was. It was +50%. Not +5%. Not a small increase. Literally £500pa over and above Symbio (electric) & Gulf (gas).Smart meters benefit the industry only. Suppliers have to take readings every 2 years by a man in a van visiting your home. They will save Billions but you wont see any cost reduction in your bill.The data doesn't even improve the national data set.

A lot also depends on where you stay. Eon may be a better option for many people.
a month or so ago my edf fix was due for renewal, shopped around using all sorts of comparison tools and most of the cheapest were conditional on supplying a smart meter. Long story, short, I ended up with current supplier, on a 2 yr fix on an overall slightly cheaper tariff. Yeah, had to agree to a smart metre but I read somewhere that it may prove simply too difficult for them to do and the waiting list is really long. I reckon it will be much longer by now and in the meantime I'm getting cheaper energy.
Don’t bother with them just send in your readings every month it’s not a hassle
Was on a prepayment meter when I moved to my rented place so with most doing smart meters now it was kind of a no choice for better deals for me. But the process was quick and easy, and I have found myself looking at the screen most days and it's handy to see what makes it jump up when I'm using heating or cooking etc. Wouldn't be bothered if I had normal monthly though.
Shell Energy fitted me Smets 2 smart meters and the in home display unit was usless. Switched to Yorkshire Energy in January but they are not set up for using Smart Meters so have to send monthly readings. The in home unit now comes in handy as one of the few things that work on it are the meter readings.
There’s no reason not to have a smart meter though. If you have a spare half day once this is all over and done with, it’s probably worth booking in.

It will also help the energy companies know usage and they’ll hopefully be able to produce/buy in no more energy than is required.
It’s surprising what energy companies are cheap at the moment. Don’t just go on what other people tell you. Have a look at the comparison sites (Martin Lewis energy club/uSwitch), then look into more detail at the unit rates and standing charges.
esar12/05/2020 15:38

Not all heroes wear capes.

Cant believe I didnt do this before. Genius.
Edited by: "Deal.hunter123" 12th May
Deal.hunter12312/05/2020 17:21

Not all heroes wear capes.Cant believe I didnt do this before. Genius.

esar12/05/2020 15:38

Will a cheap camera be able to read the meter readings?

Had a mate that went to his meter cupboard with a pen and paper until I told him to use his phone to take a picture lol
rimalpatel00712/05/2020 17:43

Will a cheap camera be able to read the meter readings?

Don't see why not, just as long as you can focus it, here's the one I bought
ebay.co.uk/itm…974
40725872-xpRbL.jpgCamera about a foot away {25cm}
Why not try Yorkshire energy.
There decent.
Look at unit prices rather then the monthly price

Lol, might need a little robot finger to press the button to wake the display and show the meter reading on ours
dave.williams6wQ12/05/2020 19:02

Lol, might need a little robot finger to press the button to wake the …Lol, might need a little robot finger to press the button to wake the display and show the meter reading on ours

Bummer
shef007212/05/2020 18:54

Why not try Yorkshire energy.There decent.Look at unit prices rather then …Why not try Yorkshire energy.There decent.Look at unit prices rather then the monthly price

Thanks just did a quote based on last year's consumption and they are looking to be No.1 choice.

Why did they not appear on the comparison, I did use a few on the search engine.
rimalpatel00712/05/2020 19:36

Thanks just did a quote based on last year's consumption and they are …Thanks just did a quote based on last year's consumption and they are looking to be No.1 choice. Why did they not appear on the comparison, I did use a few on the search engine.

There not a big company that can handle a lot of switches, they do show up but you may have filter whereby the comparison site will only favour commission paying switches whereas if you change filter to show the whole market they should show up.
Another is outfox the market however there prices are seasonal winter pay more summer pay less however there unit price increased recently hence switched to YE, so far it’s been ok
I am getting a pretty good deal on Eon as well via Uswitch plus cashback via Quidco.. so try that option as well
shef007212/05/2020 19:53

There not a big company that can handle a lot of switches, they do show up …There not a big company that can handle a lot of switches, they do show up but you may have filter whereby the comparison site will only favour commission paying switches whereas if you change filter to show the whole market they should show up.Another is outfox the market however there prices are seasonal winter pay more summer pay less however there unit price increased recently hence switched to YE, so far it’s been ok

Recently switched to YE aswell.
Compare the unit rates and if you are eligible for warm home discount make sure you choose those companies who accept it
esar12/05/2020 19:28

But nothing is …But nothing is impossiblehttps://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitchBot-Smart-Switch-Button-Pusher/dp/B07B7NXV4R

OMG
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions