Groups

Energy usage for the high tech era

My parents are moaning at my this month saying that im using a lot of electricity with my xbox 360 and tv but i say im not (yes im using it more as i dotn have a job atm )

I use my xbox 360 around 4-5 hours a day ( so say 35 hours a week)( not everyday but work it out for me guys 7 days a week ) and obviously have to run my Samsung LE37R88BDso say 7 hours a day for my hdtv

I also have freeview recorder running all day but its on standby unless its recording (Digihome DTR16)

But i said to them the xbox 360 wouldnt cost more than £30 to run a year on my usage and the tv around £50 a year

but they got a monthly bill of like £145 and are blaming me

Is it my high tech stuff that is costing them money or is it their appliances like tumbledrier and dishwasher

Daniel

p.s rep for anyone who works out my usage power per year on that basis above

17 Comments

Well if you have the older 360 that's 0.23kWh, TV is probably about 0.17kWh max. The washing machine might use about 1.02kWh and the oven is probably 7.5kWh. It's the length of time they are on for that decides it, your equipment uses less but is on for more. Probably 50/50 to be honest

Original Poster

Robotochan;2646101

Well if you have the older 360 that's 0.23kWh, TV is probably about … Well if you have the older 360 that's 0.23kWh, TV is probably about 0.17kWh max. The washing machine might use about 1.02kWh and the oven is probably 7.5kWh. It's the length of time they are on for that decides it, your equipment uses less but is on for more. Probably 50/50 to be honest

Got an arcade xbox 360

Well then it should be 0.175kWh

So 4 hours of Xbox should be the same as 1 hour of washing machine action

Check all your wires to your stuff make sure theres not a split in them leaking

You should buy one of these;

gaj-it.com/ind…0m/

Also you would be surprised how much electricity something on standby uses

As for tumble driers they eat electricity, you should tell your parents that as the weather is so nice they should hang the washing outside, as not only does it save electricity from not using it but it also really heats your house up meaning in the summertime you have to use fans or air con units for longer just to counteract it!

Original Poster

Robotochan;2646132

Well then it should be 0.175kWh :)So 4 hours of Xbox should be the same … Well then it should be 0.175kWh :)So 4 hours of Xbox should be the same as 1 hour of washing machine action

well
    got dishwasher - tumbledrier - washing machine - oven -microwave - tv in lounge - computer and screen

So am i right in saying that it would cost around £100 to run my equipment in my room per year

whereas all that other stuff would cost around £300-500

kungfu;2646141

Check all your wires to your stuff make sure theres not a split in them … Check all your wires to your stuff make sure theres not a split in them leaking

lolooolol!

Very good.

Stop growing the skunk in the loft!:-D

dandoc2;2646216

well So am i right in saying that it would cost around £100 to run my … well So am i right in saying that it would cost around £100 to run my equipment in my room per yearwhereas all that other stuff would cost around £300-500

Maybe £100, but that'd be after the current rises and the January rises :whistling:

Original Poster

Robotochan;2646288

Maybe £100, but that'd be after the current rises and the January rises … Maybe £100, but that'd be after the current rises and the January rises :whistling:

ahhhhh

Why is it getting so expensive - just hope they dont make me sell my stuff

I mean say its £140 for a year after rises thats only £12 a month - £2.50 a day - about 9pence an hour

So if i give my dad 10p every hour i use my equipment that would cover to about £180 a year - if i use it 5 hours a day

Im sure i can find some change on the floor on the streets :thumbsup:

I will have to find the site I discovered that tells you the annual running cost of electronic equipment.

Edit: Here is the site sust-it.net

Your parents may well find it interesting...

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Your x box costs about 2 and a half pence an hour to run, your telly about 2 pence, your freeview box less than 5p a day!, Your weekly cost is therefore about £1.95, £8 a month or about £94 a year. A washing machine costs about 14p a load, dishwasher 17p and a tumbledrier 50p. So I think it's your parents' stuff that's to blame![/COLOR]

Tell your parents to look at the meter just as the tumble dryer is switched on. It will go from a gentle pace to warp factor 9!

Original Poster

MBeeching;2646376

I will have to find the site I discovered that tells you the annual … I will have to find the site I discovered that tells you the annual running cost of electronic equipment.Edit: Here is the site http://www.sust-it.netYour parents may well find it interesting...

Thats great repped for that site - gunna compile it all for them

I bought a wattmeter today at tchibo for £8 so to monitor the cost of my room

chrysha;2646897

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Your x box costs about 2 and a half pence an hour to … [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Your x box costs about 2 and a half pence an hour to run, your telly about 2 pence, your freeview box less than 5p a day!, Your weekly cost is therefore about £1.95, £8 a month or about £94 a year. A washing machine costs about 14p a load, dishwasher 17p and a tumbledrier 50p. So I think it's your parents' stuff that's to blame![/COLOR]

I left my job start of may and my mum got a tumbledrier at the same time so my dads blaming me right for being eumployed all day is the high cost but i jsut searched the cost of running their tumbledrier per year and you wont beleive it

Indesit IS70C
    Condenser Tumble Dryer
    Per year - £102.29

dandoc2;2650156

I left my job start of may and my mum got a tumbledrier at the same time … I left my job start of may and my mum got a tumbledrier at the same time so my dads blaming me right for being eumployed all day is the high cost but i jsut searched the cost of running their tumbledrier per year and you wont beleive it Indesit IS70CCondenser Tumble DryerPer year - £102.29

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]That's quite a conservative estimate - only using it 4 times a week![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

So that'll be NONE of your stuff in the washing machine, dishwasher, microwave & tumble dryer then Danny boy??!?

Original Poster

CHARLIETHIRTYTWO;2665456

So that'll be NONE of your stuff in the washing machine, dishwasher, … So that'll be NONE of your stuff in the washing machine, dishwasher, microwave & tumble dryer then Danny boy??!?

nope
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk88
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card44
      3. WIN AN UNFORGETTABLE TRIP TO SAN FRANCISCO11
      4. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22

See more discussions