Expired

Engagement ring advice

Found 14th Jan 2008
Hi

I'm planning on proposing to my girlfriend in a few months time. I was thinking of taking her to New York to propose.

Which leaves me with a few months to sort out an engagement ring.

My general Q is are engagement rings much better value in the States (given the strong performance of the pound / the dollar).

Does anybody know how much a decent (ie three-quarter carat) diamond (platinum ring) would cost at Tiffanys in New York? (i can't seem to find any price details / product list on their website)

Plus, is it just a case of walking in, picking one and walking out? if they have to resize to fit the finger, is this something they can do in a few hours? (as we'll only be in NY for a few days)

thanks for any advice you can provide

Rob

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

Save your pennies and treat yourself to a new car....:thumbsup:

wesbite works fine for views and "rough" pricing

it will be cheaper in the US

if you use this as an exmaple and click "pricing poaramters" u get a price pop up

You can also do online chat from the below link to speak to an "expert"

tiffany.com/Eng…001

Tiffany is overrated though, u tried going up London to the diamond shops there?

Original Poster

hmm, maybe its just the browser settings then - when i click on 'browse rings'

tiffany.com/Eng…203

i just get a blank screen

I'm planning on having a look at the Hatton Garden diamond shops, to get an idea of the different sizes.

If I go to NY, I'm willing to pay somewhere between $2,000-2,500.

Any idea what they will get me at Tiffanys in NY? (looking for platinum ring, solitaire design, round diamond, H or less clarity, good quality and as big as possible!! :-)

You will get more bang for your buck in New York, i went there last february and am still paying for all the stuff i bought!!!

cant help with rings though. i got mine with quidco from h-samuels, the other half knew what she wanted so i got it!!

dont forget about impor tax though. i had quite a few t-shirts i needed to de-tag before bringing them home!!!

[QUOTE=gdub2001;1454234......

dont forget about impor tax though. i had quite a few t-shirts i needed to de-tag before bringing them home!!![/QUOTE]

Hopefully she will be wearing the ring!

new york is much better tiffanys is not over rated yes its expensive but id love to be able to say my engagement ring was tiffany just remember the ny store gets very busy

i know everyone all ways goes on about the discount stores in new york but i was out there last week and went in daffys daffys.com/ and i saw some amazing rings nothing like i have seen in the uk and you would get so much for your dollars in a shop like this they all came with certs

Trump Tower
Category: Shopping
Phone: +1 212 832 2000
725 Fifth Avenue
New York City, NY 10022-2519
United States
This hangout for rich shoppers features sumptuous decor everywhere, including lots of bronze, marble, crystal and flowing water. It is a great place to come if you are looking for a knockout diamond solitaire engagement ring, as there is no shortage of prestigious gem stores; Cartier & Asprey is one example (just be sure to bring your platinum card). Other shops here are Salvatore Feragamo, Dooney & Bourke, and the Boehme, Dyansen and Arras Galleries.

Original Poster

thanks for the advice provided so far - however i'm none the wiser really.

the Tiffany website does not have a selecction of rings and associated prices.

I don't want to say to the girlfriend (hopefully fiancee by that time) "lets go to Tifffanys and find you a ring" - only to find that there's nothing there within budget and leave her disappointed.

On the assumption that I'd be looking for a decent ring in terms of cut, clarity and colour (ie, not the poorest levels, not the best, but somewhere in between) - I basically need to know how much a round diamond, set in a solitaire platinum ring setting would cost, for

a) 0.5 carat
b) 0.75 carat
c) 1.00 carat

My budget is around £1,250 / $2,500

If that's nowhere near enough to find a Tiffanys ring as specified above, at least then I'll know to get something else arranged beforehand (or when in the states).

thanks
Rob

I give up, the site does have a selection of rings and baseline prices - it also has an interactive chat so you can ask specific questions to them regarding your criteria but you have the complete lack of courtesy to say the website doesnt have this and doesnt have that because you cant get your browser set up properly!:x:roll:

Original Poster

sunil1234;1457872

I give up, the site does have a selection of rings and baseline prices - … I give up, the site does have a selection of rings and baseline prices - it also has an interactive chat so you can ask specific questions to them regarding your criteria but you have the complete lack of courtesy to say the website doesnt have this and doesnt have that because you cant get your browser set up properly!:x:roll:

'lack of courtesy'??? what are you on about???

You go on to any other jewellers website and you'll find a product and a price next to it. Take bluenile.com or ernestjones.com as examples.

Tiffanys website does not provide this facility. It merely states that rings start at $XXXX - hence me seeking advice from anyone with any knowledge of how much a e.g, 1 carat diamond solitaire rings costs at Tiffanys US.

I will try emailing Tiffanys US for some advice - but I was looking for advice from anyone with this knowledge. - ie, someone who has been to the store in the States, seen the rings i'm talking about and can say "that type of ring costs XXX at Tiffanys'

You my friend can keep your bad-tempered rants to yourself. Please do not feel the need to post any more on this thread.

i think each of there rings are personal depending on what you want there is a basic price but you can add extras plus there is a uk and a us site
Post a comment
@
    Text