Engagement ring diamond fell out

21 replies
Found 12th Feb
My wife caught her engagement ring (she usually wears engagement ring and wedding band together) and she knocked the diamond out. She found the diamond. It's about 14 years old. The ring itself is white gold and probably needs re-plating at the same time.

What is the best course of action?

Any ideas how much it would cost to have it re-seated?

My other option is that she keeps dropping hints about having an eternity ring. Could the diamond be used to create a new eternity ring? Can anyone recommend somewhere that would be able to do this? I'm guessing the majority of the cost of the original ring was the diamond.

21 Comments

Give an area so others can advise

I can't believe it's on this site but here you go. mumsnet.com/Tal…ade

Sometimes contents insurance covers jewellery, so you could check your policy and see if it's covered.

In the past I've taken items for repair or alteration into my local jewellers and they have sent them to The Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham jewelleryquarter.net. However, I found that by taking them to a shop in the Jewellery Quarter myself, I live about 40 miles away from Birmingham, I was charged a fraction of what my local Jewellers had been charging me. Do you have something like this near you?

Original Poster

Sorry - In Staffordshire, Birmingham is only 30 miles away.

Head straight to Vyse Street, Hockley = jewellery quarter, they make rings there, you should be able to find someone to remake it.

Banned

diamonds should be free replacement if you lose it.

My mum always wore her engagement ring, the stone fell out numerous times. In the end the choice was a fake diamond or keep it for special occasions. Stones, washing up, cleaning etc, don't mix well.

I had the claws remade on my ring a few years ago as they had worn down and a diamond fell out. It cost £20 per claw for 18ct gold. That was done by a local jeweller. Not had a problem since

Original Poster

sofiasar

why?

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell

I had the claws remade on my ring a few years ago as they had worn down … I had the claws remade on my ring a few years ago as they had worn down and a diamond fell out. It cost £20 per claw for 18ct gold. That was done by a local jeweller. Not had a problem since

They all look the same so I'd be looking at perhaps £80 to get it remade plus a bit more to have it replated.

So hopefully around £100?

I did pop back to Beaverbrooks where it was from but they have to send it off to get a quote so obviously don't do the work themselves.

I think I paid £200 for the entire ring but it is a three stone one. Remember, the higher the carat of gold, the softer it is and the more it will wear. My jeweller told me it would've cost £800 just to replace that one stone so it was money well spent. Dunno how much it costs to get a ring replanted , I don't think it is that expensive. I'm not a fan of white gold because it does wear off. I would certainly go to an independent jeweller rather than send it to beaverbrooks. In my experience you get a much better deal
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 12th Feb

sofiasar

The most expensive part of the ring? I don't think you've thought this through.

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell

I think I paid £200 for the entire ring but it is a three stone one. … I think I paid £200 for the entire ring but it is a three stone one. Remember, the higher the carat of gold, the softer it is and the more it will wear. My jeweller told me it would've cost £800 just to replace that one stone so it was money well spent. Dunno how much it costs to get a ring replanted , I don't think it is that expensive. I'm not a fan of white gold because it does wear off. I would certainly go to an independent jeweller rather than send it to beaverbrooks. In my experience you get a much better deal

Thanks, the white gold has lasted well really. We've had it 14 years and it is only just dulling. No sign of yellowing yet. The difference in price to platinum is difficult to justify over re-plating every 10 years or so.

The equivalent replacement ring would cost over £2k now from Beaverbrooks, so £100-£200 to repair and re-plate doesn't sound too bad.

That still leaves the job of getting an eternity ring in the future though!

I'll try a few independent jewellers and see what they say.

nbuuifx

Thanks, the white gold has lasted well really. We've had it 14 years and … Thanks, the white gold has lasted well really. We've had it 14 years and it is only just dulling. No sign of yellowing yet. The difference in price to platinum is difficult to justify over re-plating every 10 years or so.The equivalent replacement ring would cost over £2k now from Beaverbrooks, so £100-£200 to repair and re-plate doesn't sound too bad.That still leaves the job of getting an eternity ring in the future though!I'll try a few independent jewellers and see what they say.

I know my sister had her ring replated recently and it wasn't expensive.
As for eternity ring, just think about the money you will have saved by having engagement ring repaired not replaced. You are quids in already !

If it's a £2000 ring, I would be going down the insurance route. Even better if it's covered for loss.

This happened to my wife a few weeks ago, and I finally took the ring to a local jeweler that does repair. He took the ring away and called me with a quote, £99.50 as he needs to replace some of the prongs. It seemed a lot so I called Ernest Jones, and H Samuel, and was quoted in the region of £200 by Ernest Jones (this was just over the phone), H Samuel wanted to send the ring away to their workshop.

I have a name and no of a guy in Edgware (north west london) he has a work shop in his house.

find a good repairing jewellers most towns have then, happened to my wifes and they didn't charge that much.

Banned

BarmyBulldog

The most expensive part of the ring? I don't think you've thought this … The most expensive part of the ring? I don't think you've thought this through.

​well iv lost about 3 from 2 rings, not a wedding ring though and it was a free replacement from the shop I bought it from. if she's lost any gold surrounding the diamond area then she will have to pay for it.

Ummmm not being funny but if my diamond fell out and hubby used it to make my eternity band I would be very **** with him

Get it repaired for now. A decent jewler should be able to set it and recoat the band. Also be careful who you use, my sister in law diamond was swapped out but they didn't find out till a few years after so it was to late to do anything as the shop had closed down.

sofiasar

​well iv lost about 3 from 2 rings, not a wedding ring though and it was a … ​well iv lost about 3 from 2 rings, not a wedding ring though and it was a free replacement from the shop I bought it from. if she's lost any gold surrounding the diamond area then she will have to pay for it.

They must be quality diamonds if they replace them for free,
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247667
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769606
    3. Add one, leave one game54415467
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522885

See more discussions