Engine management light

Found 5th Jul 2015
Will my car fail its mot if eml is on ?
thanks.

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
I would say yes ,i'm no expert mine had the same issue and was told it needed fixing, turned out to be as simple as an EGR valve ....
no its nothing to do with mot but its a warning that some things not right with your engine so get it checked out
Eml does not fail mot... Its an advisory.
Thanks will get it checked out.
katchiib

Eml does not fail mot... Its an advisory.

Correct
unless its on because of the catalyst, lambda sensor, or misfire then it could fail on emissions.
hi Katie you can buy a fault code reader from eBay for £7 and you can pair it with your phone on a free app it will tell you the code
wkhaliq

hi Katie you can buy a fault code reader from eBay for £7 and you can … hi Katie you can buy a fault code reader from eBay for £7 and you can pair it with your phone on a free app it will tell you the code

Some cars like Ford have this feature built in.
vauxhall have it built in as well. Just certain order of pressing the pedals and turning on at a certain time
for some fords, you press the milometre reset and turn ignition on whiles keeping it presses, after approx 3 seconds, all the dials will go into test, then keep pressing the button to scroll through. works on mk1 focus unsure and i imagine others around that era.

some vauxhalls . . usually 2000-2006 era . press the brake and acclerator pedal, and turn ignition on whilst keeping pedals pressed. the engine management light will start flashing. simply count the flashes a slight pause takes you to the next number and so on, the longer pause will then take you to the next code or if only 1 code will start again. if no codes present, it will just constantly flash with no pauses.
exhample . . .
flash, flash, flash. . . . flash, flash . . . . flash flash flash flash flash . . . .flash flash. . .. . . .. . . . .. . . . .
would read code 3252 followed by the long pause for next code.
If I remember correctly, new rules came into force regards warning lights and MOTs around March 2013 time...meaning you can be failed on a warning light (which I'm guessing includes EML). Any mechanics/MOT testers confirm this?
I'm no MOT person, but I had my car MOT'd about 5 weeks ago, and I have the engine management light on. Short story is that it passed and I had an advisory note is all.
P_nnyPinch_r

If I remember correctly, new rules came into force regards warning lights … If I remember correctly, new rules came into force regards warning lights and MOTs around March 2013 time...meaning you can be failed on a warning light (which I'm guessing includes EML). Any mechanics/MOT testers confirm this?

Warning lights like , airbag , antilock brakes etc are a fail
Engine management is not , its stating you have a fault
Take your battery leads off for 30 minutes , if you have your radio code!
I am currently driving around France in my Vauxhall Zafira. My eml has been on for 2 years now. My brother in law (a professional mechanic), who services and MoTs the car says not to worry as its a common issue on many cars with diesel engines. If something was really wrong you would know pretty quickly. Certainly after 2 years of trouble free motoring and faultless MoT passes.
Put some tape over the light
Amazes me the amount of people that drive around with the eml light lit, You could potentially damage the engine driving around not knowing what the problem is, Certain issues won't really affect anything however other issues will and I'd strongly advise that you get it checked or check it yourself and correct the problem.

Also your mpg may be down as 9 times out of 10 it's an emission control fault, ie lambda sensor, Catalyst etc..

First read the code/s then reset, See if the codes come back and then look to resolve the issue. Easy to google the fault code and get an idea of which component is at fault.

It may indeed fail on emissions and the tester may be less lenient.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants