England Trip

Found 2nd Jul
I don’t know if anyone can help me but I’ve taken the whole of the summer holidays off to spend time with my daughter (she’s 5) and I would like to do as many things as we can in England during this time!
Suggestions of where we could go would be good! If anyone knows of an easy way to plan a route (as I’ll be driving)? Just any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
AskTravelEngland
23 Comments
Eureka in Halifax is fabulous for kids
Royal Armouries in Leeds is quite good as well, and free water taxi from the station is quite good for kids. Basically with the suggestion above and mine just go to Yorkshire and don't bother with anywhere else.
And as we are staying in Yorkshire don't forget the Yorkshire wildlife park, magna, North york moors railway, the maize maze, the jorvik centre, mother shipton's cave, the mining museum, flamingo land, Leeds cat cafe and diggerland. Just a few ideas
You don't mention whereabouts you are, but two of the places I look back on fondly from childhood were Jorvik in York and Bekonscot in Buckinghamshire (other model villages are available).

Assume that the National Trust venues are more interesting than they used to be. I remember being dragged round them all as a kid and being bored senseless.
Edited by: "Guzzle" 3rd Jul
What about getting a National Trust card?
Monkey World in Dorset.
majestic20121 h, 36 m ago

Monkey World in Dorset.

Second that, we went there last month and right opposite Monkey World is the Bovington Tank museum . Bournemouth ,Poole ,Weymouth beaches, Portland Bill and Durdle Door all within 20 miles . How you intending to overnight ? Camping , Caravan , Hotels, Budget ?

Get all the info beforehand so you can talk about the next days destination on the way there (might cut down on the "are we there yet Mum?" calls )
Edited by: "rogparki" 3rd Jul
Wow - where to start? Places I would like to go - Lake District, Hadrian's Wall, Alnwick (Harry Potter castle!), Lindisfarne, York (Vikings & railway museum), Sheffield (Magna), Nottingham, Birmingham (Cadbury World), Warwick, Woburn Safari Park, London (loads of things to do), Dover, New Forest, Stonehenge, Swanage (incl Corfe Castle & Monkey World), Cornish coast, Eden Project, Glastonbury Tor, Longleat Safari Park, Bristol docks, watch the Severn Bore.
Just a few ideas. As above, I would suggest a National Trust card for yourself (5 yo is free at NT) and maybe English Heritage.
A great place for a 5yr old would be tropical world near round hay park in Leeds!

I have 3 girls 10/5 & 3 and all really love it.

Link

EDIT: just realised you mean England as a whole? Read the forst few comments with places in glorious Yorkshire so I presumed you was close lol.
Edited by: "Snakeyes646" 3rd Jul
Where's your starting point and what's your budget?
You could spend a week just doing the free sites and attraction in London.
As it's been mentioned look at nationwide memberships; National Trust, English Heritage, Merlin Pass and even RHS.

Just bare in mind that during the school holidays most child friendly attractions will be ram packed.
Devon and Cornwall fabulous old buildings, steam railways, sandy beaches, cheap places to stay and of course Dartmoor and Bodmin moor!
There's a butterfly house ,with loads of amazing animals near worksop that she might love, maybe chatsworth house too ?
National space centre in Leicester
how long are we talking about?

And where are you living?

I don't think a 5 years old want to sit in car for long.

Also, those 5 years old i knew seems to be happy spend whole after in play area at local parks....
How about this for an idea.....put them all on a map and let her pick one a day and you the next.....would be great road trip
psychobitchfromhell19 h, 51 m ago

Eureka in Halifax is fabulous for kids

Thank you, we have been there and it was fantastic
korinarose43662 m ago

Thank you, we have been there and it was fantastic

I'll try and think of a few more. What sort of stuff does she like?
The Science Museum in London, fantastic place and still free to visit..
Imax and national media museum in Bradford. Loved that place when I was a kid. Its amazing seeing imax for first time too. There was nothing like it in the 80's when it first opened.
Edited by: "MonkeysUncle" 3rd Jul
Does anyone know if you can get a map of England with all the attractions labelled on there? Bit of a long shot I know!
psychobitchfromhell3rd Jul

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/school-holiday-deals/There might …https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/school-holiday-deals/There might be some ideas here. Also Chester zoo is wonderful

Thank you so much for all your help! We have been a fair few places so far, the holidays seem to be going very quickly!!
psychobitchfromhell2nd Jul

And as we are staying in Yorkshire don't forget the Yorkshire wildlife …And as we are staying in Yorkshire don't forget the Yorkshire wildlife park, magna, North york moors railway, the maize maze, the jorvik centre, mother shipton's cave, the mining museum, flamingo land, Leeds cat cafe and diggerland. Just a few ideas

Now you're just showing off
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants