Enter the virtual London marathon for £20

Posted 26th Aug 2020
Looks like public entry to the virtual London marathon on October 4 has started. Just £20. You run it in a location of your choice and get a medal and t shirt for completing it.

virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/you…tml
Community Updates
14 Comments
On first reading I thought that they would be giving some of the money to charity but no it looks like the money goes the organisers. The t-shirt is being paid for by New Balance so basically they are taking £20 and in exchange you get an app and a cheap medal.
Amazing the cold votes. Often time’s people have to get thousands in sponsorship to enter London marathon. This is a stone cold bargain. And will be the only ever one that is run this way. And because it’s virtual you can do it as slow as you like. Run just over a mile an hour if you like.

lots of opportunity to help charity too.
dinglebert26/08/2020 07:40

On first reading I thought that they would be giving some of the money to …On first reading I thought that they would be giving some of the money to charity but no it looks like the money goes the organisers. The t-shirt is being paid for by New Balance so basically they are taking £20 and in exchange you get an app and a cheap medal.

To me £20 is a steal to be part of it. And most will run it for charity. The virtual event mainly exists for charity - so they don’t lose out on all the sponsorships.

eg I have £1k sponsorship already for running this event.
justingalore26/08/2020 07:41

To me £20 is a steal to be part of it. And most will run it for charity. …To me £20 is a steal to be part of it. And most will run it for charity. The virtual event mainly exists for charity - so they don’t lose out on all the sponsorships.eg I have £1k sponsorship already for running this event.

Part of what? If you want to run 26 miles for charity just do it and donate the £20 to the charity of your choice.
Edited by: "dinglebert" 26th Aug
justingalore26/08/2020 07:41

To me £20 is a steal to be part of it. And most will run it for charity. …To me £20 is a steal to be part of it. And most will run it for charity. The virtual event mainly exists for charity - so they don’t lose out on all the sponsorships.eg I have £1k sponsorship already for running this event.

But you're not part of anything other than running around your hometown on your own. No buzz from the crowd, the sights (unless you run it in London).
You must have worked hard to raise such a tidy sum for charity and to run in this years race, if you need to raise that again to run in the next event that sucks! Especially as many people probably won't sponsor you twice
There will be all sorts of things going on on the day and a shared community via the coverage and social media. There will be training stuff leading up to it from London marathon - and the medal and t shirt of course afterwards.

should be an excellent event and will raise millions for charity - even my £1,000 is the equivalent of 50 people paying £20 to charity directly and running around a park.
ayersie26/08/2020 07:48

But you're not part of anything other than running around your hometown on …But you're not part of anything other than running around your hometown on your own. No buzz from the crowd, the sights (unless you run it in London). You must have worked hard to raise such a tidy sum for charity and to run in this years race, if you need to raise that again to run in the next event that sucks! Especially as many people probably won't sponsor you twice

Like many people my work will sponsor me a good chunk - and they will do that next year too
This is great @justingalore

Thanks for sharing

Much more inclusive more people than ever will be able to enter
Great north run is free I think for both solo and the virtual one minus the medal ? I’m doing both
I’m gonna do it on my Wii Fit.
Really don't understand virtual races. It's not a race it's a run! By me they have a virtual Parkrun with virtual paces! The mind boggles.
666FU26/08/2020 11:27

Really don't understand virtual races. It's not a race it's a run! By me …Really don't understand virtual races. It's not a race it's a run! By me they have a virtual Parkrun with virtual paces! The mind boggles.

Thing is for most entrants a marathon is a run not a race. So it’s not that different.

The huge negative thing is no crowds. I get that this sucks. But I still think for those who want a challenge or to get some charity sponsorship - this represents a great chance. To get in to a normal London Marathon on the ballot is about a 20:1 chance these days.
justingalore26/08/2020 11:31

Thing is for most entrants a marathon is a run not a race. So it’s not t …Thing is for most entrants a marathon is a run not a race. So it’s not that different. The huge negative thing is no crowds. I get that this sucks. But I still think for those who want a challenge or to get some charity sponsorship - this represents a great chance. To get in to a normal London Marathon on the ballot is about a 20:1 chance these days.

Place are usually really limited that's why I think this is really good I'm surprised it's not been aloud in deals as it's a one off event. Unlikely to be repeated.
The best things always get put in discussions! Especially when I post them. Very inconsistent application of the rules.

I think normal ballot entry is £40. Or thousands in sponsorship for charity place.

Of course it’s a very different event. But I’m pretty sure that to some people £20 is a massive bargain.
Post a comment
@
    Text