Groups

Entry level Gaming PC advice

Hi

I am looking to get my son an entry level gaming PC and have about £400 to spend. Would like to buy prebuilt. Please could anybody recommend any?

12 Comments

Depends if you want a new or used build, if you want prebuilt then new would be something like this: awd-it.co.uk/int…tml
    Edited by: "Off_White" 4th Feb

Consider building your own you will get a lot more bang for your buck and you and your son can share the experience of building it. Do you need monitor and peripherals?

also consider second hand for that price range. what does he want to play?

Before you decide to jump in, what games are you wanting to play? If it's the likes of bf1 and alike then an entry level gaming pc just ain't going to cut it! So this is highly important as you may end up better off with a ps4 and games,

rx460
    g4600
    4gb ddr ram (any speed)
    1tb hdd (wd blue probably for budget)
    500w psu
    probably any b250 mb
    any case

but that's not exactly great, and that's without keyboard, mouse, monitor, headset, games

I'd agree with westy and go with a console, 500gb xb1 for £180 with 2 games (saw the deal on here yesterday) is a great buy .. sure the graphics may not be as good as a pc (but they will be probably as good as the pc in your budget anyway)

--
    also if you're in north west england I'd be happy to put your pc together (no charge) if you're not far from me and you did go with the PC option

maybe check ebay too for some second hand builds, I wouldn't buy anything 2nd hand and old though

£400 is too little for a new machine, complete entry level machines with a G4560 processor and RX 460 graphics card start at around £500 and below that the performance drops off so much it's not worth considering. Saving £50 will cause the performance to halve.

You can occasionally find Pentium systems for decent enough power supplies to take a graphics card (250W+) for sub-£300 which can get you a decent new machine for £400 if you put the two purchases together.

Unfortunately Intel have just added a very worthwhile feature to the latest Pentium-branded chips and those models (G4560, G4600 & G4620) haven't appeared in new prebuilt machines in any great numbers yet.

So basically up your budget or look to refurbished/second hand machines. You want a Radeon 7790/260/360/460 at a minimum (the second digits/third are higher for more performance).

I'd avoid nVidia's cards on a budget due to the lack of variable refresh rate support unless this will be plugged into a TV.

The above is assuming you only need the computer itself. If you also need a monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse on that budget then it gets easier in a way. You either settle for integrated graphics and less demanding games or you'll need to look second hand.

Original Poster

Thank you for the link as we would like prebuilt but this sadly is out of our price range

Original Poster

murtgurge

rx460g46004gb ddr ram (any speed)1tb hdd (wd blue probably for … rx460g46004gb ddr ram (any speed)1tb hdd (wd blue probably for budget)500w psu probably any b250 mbany casebut that's not exactly great, and that's without keyboard, mouse, monitor, headset, gamesI'd agree with westy and go with a console, 500gb xb1 for £180 with 2 games (saw the deal on here yesterday) is a great buy .. sure the graphics may not be as good as a pc (but they will be probably as good as the pc in your budget anyway)--also if you're in north west england I'd be happy to put your pc together (no charge) if you're not far from me and you did go with the PC optionmaybe check ebay too for some second hand builds, I wouldn't buy anything 2nd hand and old though

Thank you for your advice. Will look in to this spec a little further. He already has an Xbox but would like a pic for general use and gaming as a bonus.

mzsbo

Any thoughts on these entry level ones? Really is max budget … Any thoughts on these entry level ones? Really is max budget https://www.consolekiller.co.uk/pc-systems/vr-gaming-pc/up-to-500/console-killer-amd-a8-quad-core-4-2ghz-16gb-ram-1tb-hdd-gaming-pc-amd-radeon-r7-window-10.htmlhttps://www.consolekiller.co.uk/pc-systems/vr-gaming-pc/up-to-500/console-killer-pc-intel-core-i3-3220-8gb-ddr3-ram-120gbssd-500gb-hdd-gtx-1050-stormx-2gb-window-10.html

on a budget I'd probably go with this
    ebay.co.uk/itm…816

but it depends on your thoughts with regards to buying refurbished, that was just a quick one I found on ebay there is definitely loads more on there that are as good if not better

The budget is difficult if you don't want to build your own, as it is just below the sweet spot for a decent gaming rig. If it is mainly for doing homework or surfing the web etc, I would consider one of the AMD APU PCs. APU are both graphics card and CPU together (the biggest costs of a PC) and are quite cheap. The top of the line a10 can be found on eBay for 250 - 300 depending on peripherals. They will be far more than adequate for everyday use and will be reasonable for gaming. Indeed Xbox and PlayStation all use amd apus so you know they can run the latest games, just not always st top settings.

Original Poster

Our budget is now £500 all in inc monitor, keyboard mouse etc... if could advise on a couple of possibles that would be a great help.

Thanks
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do you use a case on your iPhone?1313
      2. PC Headset Advice11
      3. Outdoor security camera.11
      4. 4K tv with HDR good deal?22

See more discussions