Environment Friendly or Low Carbon Life-style

Posted 18th Jun
Do you want to live an environment friendly life but feel a lack of support or information available? Do you understand carbon footprint or emissions we generate from using energy and fuels? I just wonder how many of us understand the environmental and climate change risks we are living with and how can we contribute to reduce carbon footprint.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
We emit approximately 0.27kg of carbon-dioxide equivalent (CO2e) for every kilowatt hour of electricity we use (0.27kg/kWh). This means if an electric heater of 3kW runnning for 4 hours would consume 12kWh of electricity and generate approx 3.24kgCO2e. Imagine how much CO2e we emit everyday from using energy in our homes, driving our vehicles, eating food and using public services.
Vania_Kanwal18/06/2020 17:57

Imagine how much CO2e we emit everyday from using energy in our homes, …Imagine how much CO2e we emit everyday from using energy in our homes, driving our vehicles, eating food and using public services.

So what? Go back to the 19th century and beyond? Ditch cars for horses and carts, turn off the heating, stop public services and stop eating food!
Definitely not!
We need to switch to energy efficient utilities, use less energy and water. Invest in solar energy and use less cars but rather cycle or walk. Switch to electric vehicles when affordable and possible.
Vania_Kanwal18/06/2020 18:50

Definitely not!We need to switch to energy efficient utilities, use less …Definitely not!We need to switch to energy efficient utilities, use less energy and water. Invest in solar energy and use less cars but rather cycle or walk. Switch to electric vehicles when affordable and possible.

Why didn't you just say that then. Thought you were some eco-peasant. What about public services?
The reason for discussion is to know what others think, not how I feel or I know.
Vania_Kanwal18/06/2020 19:02

The reason for discussion is to know what others think, not how I feel or …The reason for discussion is to know what others think, not how I feel or I know.

Others might want to know what you think, as you started the thread. What are your opinions?
Vania_Kanwal18/06/2020 18:50

Definitely not!We need to switch to energy efficient utilities, use less …Definitely not!We need to switch to energy efficient utilities, use less energy and water. Invest in solar energy and use less cars but rather cycle or walk. Switch to electric vehicles when affordable and possible.

I agree we could all consume less of almost everything, but unless we limit population growth as well then its all a waste of time, because the future increased population will wipe out the savings that we've achieved, and telling parents that they can only have one or maybe two kids is a very thorny subject and one which few governments, apart from the Chinese, are willing to tackle.
I've thought that simple government policy changes could make a read difference, improving building standards for insulation, glazing and solar energy on new builds would drastically reduce heating costs, a small step easily implemented homeowners would reap savings over longer term
@tregs
I have been doing research and came across a few blogs which have opened my eyes. The government and industry are doing their part and this is not easy. However, we have to play our part as emissions from household sector are as high as 40% of total UK emissions.

@sidhoooooo Yes, policy changes will make a difference and government agencies are working hard on it, but again such changes are useless if there is no behaviour change on our side.

The very first step is calculate your carbon footprint (co2 emissions) and then pledge to reduce them year on year. It simply makes a huge difference. I can share the link of carbon footprint calculator if you guys are interested.
Here is the simple blog I am following these days. allaboute3.com

It teaches about global warming in very simple words.

Good Luck!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants