eon Smart meters,pros n cons please....

thinking of changing over to eon smart meters, currently on the card n key pre pay type,has anyone already got these that can help a dither ing me please n thank you?

11 Comments

ONLINE TOP UP, ETC
MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER
Edited by: "xdaminis" 10th Jan

If you are on pre pay meter you are more likely to be paying more.

Got smart meters from SSE.. nearly year ago...
Never helped me to save money)
+you can check your remaining allowances or usage on smartphone
-you still have to pay bills

Just a easier way for them to show you how much you owe. Instead of letters in the post.

I think I read on another thread that the meters can't currently be used by other companies. so for instance if you find a better deal with British gas they can't use the eon smart meter so you'd have to wait for another meter install. at least that's how I understood it.

adhkarzf

I think I read on another thread that the meters can't currently be used … I think I read on another thread that the meters can't currently be used by other companies. so for instance if you find a better deal with British gas they can't use the eon smart meter so you'd have to wait for another meter install. at least that's how I understood it.

​Sort of right, we have an Eon smart meter and changed supplier and we had to give the new supplier meter readings every month. So the Eon smart meter is not as smart as it could be

get off pre payment if u can then u can move to cheaper suppliers smart meters don't really make u save money they just show u ur usage and costs and are supposed to send over the readings automatically hardly much difference there

I have an Eon smart meter with device << see image below)
When the device is working you can see how much electric you are using Now or how much you've used today, this week etc
It also has Pricing and dual fuel if you have that (but my home is all electric) and pay quarterly

I said "when it's working"
For reasons I've not bothered to resolve (although I have reviewed the product online @Eon) the information stops reporting. i.e. One minute you'd be able to see Now (current usage ## units with a circular graph showing how much) then when you'd next look at it you'd get Now _ _ _ _
And it won't reset itself unless you reboot the device

If you have concerns about how much electric is being used and when then it's a free tool but the only other real benefit is Eon doesn't have to send out someone to read your meter.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fdKqYnzVDXI/hq720.jpg

pros , accurate meter readings, cons , every home in britian has to get one by 2020, so youll get one no matter what

Have to agree with post #8. I have the same meter from the same company and it's forever packing up. You have to unplug it, take it to the meter and then reboot it so it can reconnect. It doesn't really help with budgeting and I've become obsessed with looking at it to see how much we're using. I really wish I hadn't bothered having it fitted now. It's only benefit is that it saves having a meter reader call every now and again.

just found this thread as my sis in law just text asking if £360 a mth for electrical and gas is a lot, this since she had a eon smart meter fitted. I was surprised she still has to top it up having a smart meter but not clued up on top up meters. it's costing £202 pm for gas and elec £165. I'm only paying £59 a mth for both with no smart meter and a grade e boiler
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. American Road Trip11
    2. Iptv810
    3. Parcel2go - missing parcel to italy33
    4. Random messages from a Mod called CUZZY33

See more discussions