Essential Workplace/Workers?

Posted 24th Mar
It seems Employers of large companies are not adhering to government advice or is it us that have misinterpreted the advice?

A family member who is employed as a warehouse operative at Very group is self isolating as of yesterday for 7 days due to underlying health conditions, now received a text message from work saying employees are expected to come to work as normal.

is this appropriate for employers to force people back to work what seems to be classed as "non essential"?

not sure what to do.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Non essential clothes/toys online deliveries have still got the green light to go ahead...only non essential shops which public would use have been shut..was reading the backlash all morning to confusion on who does what on lockdown...hope this info helps!
Surely they would be self-isolating if they think they have been in contact with the virus? What are their plans AFTER 7 days? They would look to return to work, yes? If they are TRULY S.I. because of a fear of being currently infected then they CANNOT go to work and the employer would recognise this. The Email is probably a general "round robin" Email to ALL employees - or was this specifically to them?

If the "underlying health conditions" are the only reason they are S.I. then the question remains - what happens AFTER this period? Do their U.H.C. go away? Are they included in the list of vulnerable people - i.e. their condition is serious enough that they need to S.I. for much longer?

To be clear - NO EMPLOYER can "force" anyone to work. They can of course enforce company policy which - if you are in breach of - lead to dismissal. Everyone has the conscious choice whether to risk their health and safety by going to work or not but that's an individual's right. Do they have a union rep they can ask? Have they even discussed the issue with their employer to request special dispensation in the case they are vulnerable?

Too many questions that no-one can effectively answer other than your relative's employer I'm afraid. They need to contact them for clarification.

all the best to you both, Phsy.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 24th Mar
it really is very bad from the government to issue statements that is open to interpretation. it was a bland statement of "essential work" so you are left to your own interpretation of what is essential. it has a been a very dramatic sudden move as no one was expecting the whole country to go into lockdown. people were expecting london to be lockdown as that is where the virus is escalating but not the rest of the uk.

so this entire lockdown has taken everyone by surprise and a lot of people are left confused. i can't see how the government is going to be able to afford to pay 80% of everyone's pay if pretty much all industry close down in the uk, and how online busineses can continue to operate and deliver goods if people can not go to work in the factories to produce the goods. you don't computer generate a cooker or a fridge!
The confusion from Boris will cost lives. It should be essential workers only. That does not include online retailers ot anything that is not food. Building sites need to close unless they are building hospitals or other kinds of essential infrastructure

What is it about this virus killing peoplel that others don't get?
We are chasing our tails already. With incubation periods and how long it takes to show serious symptoms the death rates are not an accurate representation of today.
Please please stay home.
Sacrificing the lives of anyone is not worth it. In two weeks time we are going to be in serious trouble and we need to slow the spread.
Edited by: "RoseBiscuit" 24th Mar
I'm not sure self isolating for 7 days due to underlying health issues is a thing.

If you are in one of the vunerable groups, then self isolation is 12 weeks, I believe.
If you have symptoms it's 7 days and if you live with someone with symptoms it's 14 days.
Pandamansays24/03/2020 10:56

If you are in one of the vunerable groups, then self isolation is 12 …If you are in one of the vunerable groups, then self isolation is 12 weeks, I believe.

Correct, one of my friends received this message yesterday and has been told to isolate for 12 weeks, also advised to stay indoors (not even in the garden) and stay 2 metres from all other occupants of the household

The advice from government is very strange...... 4 reasons why you are allowed outside your home, I can't see a single one of them stating you can go to your bank or post office, but both are still allowed to be open. Why be open if you're not allowed to go there? Pet shops etc. still allowed to open, but you should only be going out for essential food shopping.... ok pet food may be deemed essential for your pets I guess but it is sold in supermarkets so why not get it while getting your essential groceries?

Construction as mentioned above, still going on, still allowed, yet they want people not to travel unless essential, stay off of the trains and public transport (with reduced operating capacity) etc. but then say it's ok to go to work on a building site, hardly essential is it!
Edited by: "a666andy" 24th Mar
RoseBiscuit24/03/2020 10:55

The confusion from Boris will cost lives. It should be essential workers …The confusion from Boris will cost lives. It should be essential workers only. That does not include online retailers ot anything that is not food. Building sites need to close unless they are building hospitals or other kinds of essential infrastructure What is it about this virus killing peoplel that others don't get? We are chasing our tails already. With incubation periods and how long it takes to show serious symptoms the death rates are not an accurate representation of today. Please please stay home. Sacrificing the lives of anyone is not worth it. In two weeks time we are going to be in serious trouble and we need to slow the spread.

Boris the Butcher wants more death. Just not too much that it burdens the NHS. Got some sociopathic doctors advising him to let people die as long as we're ahead of the curve.
a666andy24/03/2020 11:16

ok pet food may be deemed essential for your pets I guess but it is sold …ok pet food may be deemed essential for your pets I guess but it is sold in supermarkets so why not get it while getting your essential groceries?

My snakes eat frozen rats (defrosted & warmed) AFAIK supermarkets don't sell frozen rats.

Other people might want live locusts of differing sizes etc Supermarkets don't sell them either.

TBH I was a little concerned that Pet Shops would be deemed as non essential for the very reason you suggest.

Personally I am please that my snakes can still eat as I didn't plan ahead and stockpile.
Edited by: "TheBiker" 24th Mar
mutley124/03/2020 10:42

it really is very bad from the government to issue statements that is open …it really is very bad from the government to issue statements that is open to interpretation. it was a bland statement of "essential work" so you are left to your own interpretation of what is essential. it has a been a very dramatic sudden move as no one was expecting the whole country to go into lockdown. people were expecting london to be lockdown as that is where the virus is escalating but not the rest of the uk.so this entire lockdown has taken everyone by surprise and a lot of people are left confused. i can't see how the government is going to be able to afford to pay 80% of everyone's pay if pretty much all industry close down in the uk, and how online busineses can continue to operate and deliver goods if people can not go to work in the factories to produce the goods. you don't computer generate a cooker or a fridge!

No, Lockdown has been on the agenda for at least a week and most of us expected it at some point. Boris even suggested it several times but I guess folk just don't listen etc.
Sherbat24/03/2020 11:19

Boris the Butcher wants more death. Just not too much that it burdens the …Boris the Butcher wants more death. Just not too much that it burdens the NHS. Got some sociopathic doctors advising him to let people die as long as we're ahead of the curve.

The end results are the same in regards to deaths and hospitalisation. The idea to slow it down is sensible. A large proportion of people will get this virus at some point.
Why are the admin staff in courts who just deal with non payment of fines being asked to come in as if nothing’s happened that’s non essential work people can’t afford to pay right now and we’re being asked to go in as normal when travel services are on Sunday service the justice system is mad surely this can wait fines should be on hold just like the council have done we are not front line staff the govt should stop acting like we are
TheBiker24/03/2020 11:36

My snakes eat frozen rats (defrosted & warmed) AFAIK supermarkets don't …My snakes eat frozen rats (defrosted & warmed) AFAIK supermarkets don't sell frozen rats.Other people might want live locusts of differing sizes etc Supermarkets don't sell them either. TBH I was a little concerned that Pet Shops would be deemed as non essential for the very reason you suggest.Personally I am please that my snakes can still eat as I didn't plan ahead and stockpile.

Yeah to be fair I know there are exceptions, but hey, you could be doing society a favour, let the snakes out to eat the free range vermin and keep some people off the streets, you can take the big snakes for a 'walk' and meal out at the same time

And I bet most of the supermarkets have them (rats) available fresh under the counter too
Edited by: "a666andy" 24th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants