Estate agent not being helpful with HIP report

I put in an offer for a flat recently and then asked to be provided with the HIP report. The agent sent me an email with a link to a pdf on the hip-vault website. It didn't work so I told the estate agent and he mentioned something about the IT team looking into it. A few days later he got back to me and said that my offer was rejected and he thinks that if I raise the offer by 5k, the seller will agree to it. I told him that I would still like to see the HIP report before I consider a higher offer. But this was last week and I have still to receive the report.

I'm just trying to think of a reason why the agent would be hesitating to give me the report. I thought that there was some rule/law that says if someone puts an offer then they have a right to ask for a hip report? And does it cost the agent anything to give me the report?

14 Comments

Make the offer. Contracts are not binding until you exchange contracts unless your in scotland. If you find something very bad in the hips report later in the week, make a revised offer or pull out. Or say your offer is subject to a satisfactory hips.

The property cannot be marketed without a HIPS pack.
What information in the HIP pack are you interested in?
Most solicitors do not charge abortive fees, so if you put in offer. Then your solicitor provides you their copy of the HIP. If you are unhappy you can pull out with no costs.
HIP packs are often provided bby a third party - if website link not working - try talking to them direct.

i just had a hip done on our house and to be honest its a load of rubbish lol not worth the money they charge, i dont think there would be anything on it to say the house is bad. on mine its got questions which ive answered about the property and to say leasehold freehold etc who you pay ground rent to things like that. then one part is to do with energy. my dad just sold his house and he never looked at the one for his new house and the buyer never looked at his lol

Original Poster

I want to know what all the charges are that I would have to pay if I own the property. Also I want to know if there is gas going to the property. I asked the agent about all of this and he said he didnt know. Not only that but he didn't seem to want to find out for me. A friend told me that I can find out all of this info and more from the HIP report.

Clues to the Gas might be a Gas Cooker, Cas Central Heating and oh yes a gas meter box. Have you even looked at the property? Ask the neighbours if they have gas in their property!

Banned

I wish the hip was banned.

Total waste of money and paper :x

Banned

whatsThePoint;8341862

look on bright side, thx to ocean messing up i got mine free when i sold … look on bright side, thx to ocean messing up i got mine free when i sold my house:p

Lucky you

Original Poster

alexandercooper;8341726

Clues to the Gas might be a Gas Cooker, Cas Central Heating and oh yes a … Clues to the Gas might be a Gas Cooker, Cas Central Heating and oh yes a gas meter box. Have you even looked at the property? Ask the neighbours if they have gas in their property!

Yes, I've been for a viewing. The cooker and heaters were electric. And there was a communal meter section where they all looked like electric meters. So my guess is that there is no gas going there but I can't say for sure.

Just up your offer by 5 grand.

Gas connection will be the same for all flats/appartments. So asking the seller direct or neighbours.

Regarding other expenditures at the property. The HIPS pack will not neccesarily contain the service charge budget. This could be a query raised by your solicitor later. Although service charge budgets do not vary significantly between flats. So again, ask the buyer or a seller direct

Don't up the offer until you see the HIP, it's a buyers market. Just tell him, no HIP, no offer.

He sounds like a dodgy agent, check if he's on the ]ROEA . I think this is voluntary but it is a good sign if he is part of it.

Original Poster

tallpete33;8342770

Don't up the offer until you see the HIP, it's a buyers market. Just tell … Don't up the offer until you see the HIP, it's a buyers market. Just tell him, no HIP, no offer.He sounds like a dodgy agent, check if he's on the ]ROEA . I think this is voluntary but it is a good sign if he is part of it.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, he is not on there. It does seem a little dodgey, but it is a well known estate agency, Douglas Allen.

Banned

All the information above was with our house when we bought before the HIPs came in so what's the point of them?

Supermod

If you up the offer by £5,000 you can pull out at any time. Everything you do is "subject to contract" and you are not legally bound to purchase until contracts have been exchanged.

Up your offer by £5,000 and then book an appointment with a solicitor/conveyancer and tell them that you will only instruct them if you carry on with the matter after reviewing the HIP. The solicitor will understand and they will not charge you until you have signed their Terms of Business.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sad news about Barcelona1972
    2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846124
    3. How much would you pay for this chair?1113
    4. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2540

See more discussions