Estate agents rant

Found 24th MayEdited by:"hearts22"
I write a detailed message explaining what we do for a living and if it's full time or part time employment, names, contact details, no children, no pets, we're not smokers. No garden or parking space required. Our budget and number of bedrooms required. Ready to move...

it's already the second time the estate agent emails asking if we work full time and when we're ready to move and basically stuff I already wrote in my enquiry.

I also politely ask to not call in the morning and just send an email as a response as we are likely to sleep as we work nights and what do they do? They call at 9.30 in the morning and of course it's a missed call. What makes me mad is that it's all to ask stuff they can very well ask by email as it's not a payment or anything urgent that can't be asked by email.

I honestly think some are braindead. No other explanation.

Another thing that infuriates me is how they market patently single bedrooms as double bedrooms. What they call double bedroom is big enough for a double bed. Once you put that in the room there is no space for a wardrobe or anything else. Where is someone expected to put clothes? Under the mattress?

I expect at least one of the bedrooms to be able to accommodate the basics for a double bedroom: a double bed, a wardrobe and two bedside tables. Is that too much to ask?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Scum of the earth estate agents
I automatically consider anyone with 'Agent' in their job title as being a parasite.
Recruitment agents are possibly the worst.
24 Comments
Sounds like you need one of those ultra expensive personal estate agents that provides a personalised service, mainstream agents have little if any training and just spend their day spamming clients with possibilities.

Agents don’t care that you have a life and particular needs they see it that if your interested you’ll make and effort and if your not then there’s about another hundred people that will!
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 24th May
cmdr_elito17 m ago

Sounds like you need one of those ultra expensive personal estate agents …Sounds like you need one of those ultra expensive personal estate agents that provides a personalised service, mainstream agents have little if any training and just spend their day spamming clients with possibilities.

It's just a matter of using their brain and doing what is in the email. If they write back an email they have read my email address contained in it so how is it possible they can't see all the rest of the info that's in it that they're asking me to repeat? It doesn't make any sense. It's not about training.

They're not contacting me to spam me with possible properties. They just reply to my enquiries by calling when I said to them to email as the call will go unanswered due to our work schedules or email back asking me stuff I already told them. I assume, trained or nor trained, that they can read and I am certainly not illiterate.

I don't think it's too much of a request to email rather than call. They can email when they want. Not like I'm requesting any special service. They take email enquiries so I assume they are ok with them!

I get that they're not too interested in my personal life but it's a waste of time for them in the first place to call for nothing... :/.. Also with some of these properties they have had to reduce the rent as there must not be much interest in them so they don't have that excuse either... there aren't hundreds of others interested lol.
Edited by: "hearts22" 24th May
I automatically consider anyone with 'Agent' in their job title as being a parasite.
Recruitment agents are possibly the worst.
Uranus24th May

I automatically consider anyone with 'Agent' in their job title as being a …I automatically consider anyone with 'Agent' in their job title as being a parasite.Recruitment agents are possibly the worst.

rhythmandsoul24th May

Judging an individual by their job isn't exactly the sort of thing a decent person does. I would say that your character is more in question based on this.
g8spur11 m ago

Judging an individual by their job isn't exactly the sort of thing a …Judging an individual by their job isn't exactly the sort of thing a decent person does. I would say that your character is more in question based on this.

Found the customer service agent
I would have more respect for Estate Agents if they were actually talented at lying.
g8spur1 h, 12 m ago

Judging an individual by their job isn't exactly the sort of thing a …Judging an individual by their job isn't exactly the sort of thing a decent person does. I would say that your character is more in question based on this.

Thanks - and your opinion means nothing to me. But thanks for sharing
Edited by: "rhythmandsoul" 24th May
g8spur1 h, 26 m ago

Judging a person negatively because they've chosen a career where lying is a major part of the job is perfectly reasonable.
spoo30 m ago

Judging a person negatively because they've chosen a career where lying is …Judging a person negatively because they've chosen a career where lying is a major part of the job is perfectly reasonable.

I have worked as an estate agent. Didn't lie once. I'm not sure I can even think of a scenario where I would have had to?
Estate agent training day one.
33852844-xnial.jpg

33852844-6JaKP.jpg
went with an estate agent to view a house, could tell he had no idea and hadn't even read the add for the house, didn't even know how many bedrooms the house had. Clearly the owner spotted this to and was very helpful. I took my sister as she knows all about houses, despite introducing her as my sister to the estate agent and then again to the home owner with agent present, then having a conversation with them both about the fact she was my sister, the agent still lead us round refering to us a lovely couple. Pointing out everything in the house on those terms, about the 4 or 5th time he was doing it the home owner snapped at him "they are brother and sister!".
catbeans29 m ago

went with an estate agent to view a house, could tell he had no idea and …went with an estate agent to view a house, could tell he had no idea and hadn't even read the add for the house, didn't even know how many bedrooms the house had. Clearly the owner spotted this to and was very helpful. I took my sister as she knows all about houses, despite introducing her as my sister to the estate agent and then again to the home owner with agent present, then having a conversation with them both about the fact she was my sister, the agent still lead us round refering to us a lovely couple. Pointing out everything in the house on those terms, about the 4 or 5th time he was doing it the home owner snapped at him "they are brother and sister!".

... agents do not care, a lovely couple nevertheless even when you are LGBT, double, triple, reversed, bi, tri, virtual gay, real schizo, wet fish or a loopy fruit cake...

you are a lovely couple for a 2.5% commission
g8spur24th May

Uranus24th May

Found the customer service agent

rhythmandsoul24th May

Thanks - and your opinion means nothing to me. But thanks for sharing

An example of Newton's third law
We had the same experience, moved seven times in three years for work and some of the conversations you was forced into with estate agents who couldn't think/remembe were farcical.

also we had a few estate agents who made out like the viewing would just be us and twice we turned up to an open house like event. Don't understand why they couldn't be upfront. One even moved our meeting time to enable this and wasn't upfront about it until we turned up. Not worth the fees in most respects for both renting or selling. Thankfully work calmed down so stayed in the same property for three years now and don't need to deal with them outside of inspections.
splender1 h, 45 m ago

... agents do not care, a lovely couple nevertheless even when you are …... agents do not care, a lovely couple nevertheless even when you are LGBT, double, triple, reversed, bi, tri, virtual gay, real schizo, wet fish or a loopy fruit cake... you are a lovely couple for a 2.5% commission

well a general rule for selling especially when commission is involved, at least know basic info about what you are selling, the customer and try not to make people feel uncomfortable.
splender2 h, 45 m ago

... agents do not care, a lovely couple nevertheless even when you are …... agents do not care, a lovely couple nevertheless even when you are LGBT, double, triple, reversed, bi, tri, virtual gay, real schizo, wet fish or a loopy fruit cake... you are a lovely couple for a 2.5% commission

Made me chuckle
Uranus24th May

I automatically consider anyone with 'Agent' in their job title as being a …I automatically consider anyone with 'Agent' in their job title as being a parasite.Recruitment agents are possibly the worst.

What about newsagents? Are they all parasites? Seems harsh...
It's the secret agents that get on my wick. Who knows what them buggers are up to ?
Also agree with OP.
i'm having a nightmare with the estate agent i'm buying my property through. hopeless, the lot of them. don't know anything and make stuff up to get me off their backs.
rhythmandsoul19 h, 18 m ago

Not even a match for the real scum: Solicitors!!!
Guzzle9 h, 7 m ago

What about newsagents? Are they all parasites? Seems harsh...

newsagent is not a job title
splender6 h, 30 m ago

newsagent is not a job title

Sure, but if one runs a newsagents shop or a chain of newsagents shops, would it be misleading to refer to one's self as a newsagent?

Likewise, more often than not people working at an estate agents don't actually have the job title 'Estate Agent '. They tend to be Sales Negotiators, Sales Progressors, Valuation Surveyors, Sales Managers, Property Consultants etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants