Ethernet Splitter

Posted 10th Jan
I've got a Ethernet cable direct from my router to my Sky Q box. What would be the best splitter to get if I also wanted to hard wire my smart TV or Amazon fire stick. I don't really want to use a gigabyte switch as TV is on wall and ideally not powered. Is there anything that would be suitable? thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
There are splitters, but you need one each end, giving you cables everywhere, I'd suggest the simplest option, use a second cable, there are flat cables that you could glue together or hide them behind trunking
A couple of switch models by Dlink can be USB powered so no need for mains power consideration assuming TV / other local devices have USB power available.
esar10/01/2020 19:48

There are splitters, but you need one each end, giving you cables …There are splitters, but you need one each end, giving you cables everywhere, I'd suggest the simplest option, use a second cable, there are flat cables that you could glue together or hide them behind trunking

Trouble is the other cable is run in the ceiling so no way of running another. Thanks though.
Search for mechanical Ethernet switch. They can allow you to use one device at a time only though
Edited by: "ra786" 10th Jan
Search for unmanaged switch.
Can the cable from the ceiling be removed from the back of the tv?
Assuming there's a spare mains socket, use a powerline adapter to address the problem of not being able to run an extra cable through the ceiling?
You just need a small 5 port switch ethernet cable you have will go in to one of the ports then ethernet cable into your skyq another one from switch to your TV.

All switches are powered but if you got a bit space to hide it shouldn't be an issue.

Has your TV not got WiFi? Firestick is WiFi only unless you get a USB adapter
AndyRoyd10/01/2020 20:12

A couple of switch models by Dlink can be USB powered so no need for mains …A couple of switch models by Dlink can be USB powered so no need for mains power consideration assuming TV / other local devices have USB power available.

Various brands do them, I know there's at least one Edimax one too.

I believe you can also get PoE powered switches so you can power it from the other end.
EndlessWaves10/01/2020 21:36

Various brands do them, I know there's at least one Edimax one too.I …Various brands do them, I know there's at least one Edimax one too.I believe you can also get PoE powered switches so you can power it from the other end.

Only mentioned Dlink for USB powered switch as those tend to be cheapest of the recognised brands; 5port gigabit under £13 Prime, extra 50p for 8port.
Can shove power down ethernet for almost any device by use of a simple pair of sub-£1 adapters, or £1.88 if you want them faster than the slow boat ebay.co.uk/itm…095
You can run two 100mbps Ethernet connections over a single cat5e cable, since 100mbps only requires 4 wires (2 pairs). Gigabit ethernet requires all 8 wires. Would need a passive splitter to separate the connections at both ends.

Used to be able to find a suitable pair of y-splitters for around £1, but a quick look on ebay only found ones that shared all 8 connections, which would be unsuitable.

I made a pair myself once using a couple of keystone jacks and two ethernet cables that I cut in half.
Edited by: "melted" 11th Jan
What features on your smart tv are there you require that aren't available on the sky q box?
chocci11/01/2020 05:43

What features on your smart tv are there you require that aren't available …What features on your smart tv are there you require that aren't available on the sky q box?

And does it have WiFi if you did need something?
chocci11/01/2020 05:43

What features on your smart tv are there you require that aren't available …What features on your smart tv are there you require that aren't available on the sky q box?

I need Sky Q hardwired, I use Smart TV for Apple and Google TV & Movie app. I use Amazon Stick for IPTV.

The cable is plugged directly Into my router and runs through the floor/ceiling to the TV on the wall in the lounge straight into Sky Q box (so has Ethernet plug on the end).

I know I could maybe use a gigabyte switch but needs a plug socket and u need to fix it behind the TV on the wall.

Was just wondering if there was a decent option of something like this which gets poor reviews (as do similar items)
amazon.co.uk/dp/…CNB
fleetingmind11/01/2020 10:58

I need Sky Q hardwired, I use Smart TV for Apple and Google TV & Movie …I need Sky Q hardwired, I use Smart TV for Apple and Google TV & Movie app. I use Amazon Stick for IPTV.The cable is plugged directly Into my router and runs through the floor/ceiling to the TV on the wall in the lounge straight into Sky Q box (so has Ethernet plug on the end).I know I could maybe use a gigabyte switch but needs a plug socket and u need to fix it behind the TV on the wall. Was just wondering if there was a decent option of something like this which gets poor reviews (as do similar items)https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072J38JFK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_PIAgEb2WEACNB

A splitter is no good unless you will be ok with only one device accessing the internet at a time. So you have a sky Q box connected to your router and the hdmi out is going through the ceiling to your tv? Even wiuth a splitter, you're going to need an ethernet connection to your TV so dont see how a switch isnt the obvious solution
Edited by: "chocci" 11th Jan
chocci11/01/2020 11:41

A splitter is no good unless you will be ok with only one device accessing …A splitter is no good unless you will be ok with only one device accessing the internet at a time. So you have a sky Q box connected to your router and the hdmi out is going through the ceiling to your tv? Even wiuth a splitter, you're going to need an ethernet connection to your TV so dont see how a switch isnt the obvious solution

Didn't think that while you'd only watch one source at a time I'd still need to record stuff on the Sky Q box. Looks like a gigabyte switch is the only decent option and have to plug it in. Cheers
fleetingmind11/01/2020 11:47

Didn't think that while you'd only watch one source at a time I'd still …Didn't think that while you'd only watch one source at a time I'd still need to record stuff on the Sky Q box. Looks like a gigabyte switch is the only decent option and have to plug it in. Cheers

doesnt your tv have wifi?
chocci11/01/2020 11:54

doesnt your tv have wifi?

It does but when watching 4k films it does buffer on occasion. Just prefer stuff hard wired.
fleetingmind11/01/2020 12:08

It does but when watching 4k films it does buffer on occasion. Just prefer …It does but when watching 4k films it does buffer on occasion. Just prefer stuff hard wired.

me too. I guess you've done the obvious and checked wifi channel interference

play.google.com/sto…_US

or maybe a repeater closer to the tv
fleetingmind11/01/2020 11:47

Didn't think that while you'd only watch one source at a time I'd still …Didn't think that while you'd only watch one source at a time I'd still need to record stuff on the Sky Q box. Looks like a gigabyte switch is the only decent option and have to plug it in. Cheers

Earlier comment linked to USB-powered sub-£13 gigabit switch that may not need to be "plugged in" to mains, but connected to any readily available permanent USB hotukdeals.com/com…443 where a suitable USB power cable may be about £2.
fleetingmind11/01/2020 10:58

I need Sky Q hardwired, I use Smart TV for Apple and Google TV & Movie …I need Sky Q hardwired, I use Smart TV for Apple and Google TV & Movie app. I use Amazon Stick for IPTV.The cable is plugged directly Into my router and runs through the floor/ceiling to the TV on the wall in the lounge straight into Sky Q box (so has Ethernet plug on the end).I know I could maybe use a gigabyte switch but needs a plug socket and u need to fix it behind the TV on the wall. Was just wondering if there was a decent option of something like this which gets poor reviews (as do similar items)https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072J38JFK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_PIAgEb2WEACNB

I suspect the bad reviews are from people that didn't understand that you need 2 of these, one each end of the cable.
Aka feed 2 cables from router into connector at router end
This guy explaines it better
melted11/01/2020 00:03

You can run two 100mbps Ethernet connections over a single cat5e cable, …You can run two 100mbps Ethernet connections over a single cat5e cable, since 100mbps only requires 4 wires (2 pairs). Gigabit ethernet requires all 8 wires. Would need a passive splitter to separate the connections at both ends.Used to be able to find a suitable pair of y-splitters for around £1, but a quick look on ebay only found ones that shared all 8 connections, which would be unsuitable. I made a pair myself once using a couple of keystone jacks and two ethernet cables that I cut in half.

Found a pair here (I searched for economiser or doubler instead of splitter) :-

EDIT: posted wrong link, this is a pair

ebay.co.uk/itm…482 (note this sort will allow you to use both ethernet connections at once)

You'd also need a pair of couplers, since it has plugs rather than sockets:- ebay.co.uk/itm…675

Alternatively, if you need gigabit speeds,or more than 2 ports, you can get reasonably cheap gigabit POE adaptors that can send 12v over the cat5e cable to power a cheap gigabit switch, or else buy a POE powered gigabit switch and poe injector.
Edited by: "melted" 12th Jan
esar11/01/2020 15:29

I suspect the bad reviews are from people that didn't understand that you …I suspect the bad reviews are from people that didn't understand that you need 2 of these, one each end of the cable.Aka feed 2 cables from router into connector at router endThis guy explaines it better [Video]

The splitter the OP linked to appears to be wired to provide all 8 connections identically wired at all ports, and not the correct sort shown in the video you posted, so won't work if both devices sharing the connection are powered up at the same time.
39654718-6inkL.jpg
CERRXIAN RJ45 Splitter Adapter - £11.96

Cheap is something else (for this sort of 'plug adapters'), but it is 'neat' and will work simultaneously for 2 Ethernet enabled devices. As previously mentioned speeds will be reduced to that of Fast Ethernet (100Mbit). Your Firestick will continue to have to use the home WiFi.

Edited by: "SUMMONER" 12th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions