Expired

Ethernet Splitter to connect Skybox and Smart TV to a single Cat5e cable?

Found 5th Jul 2013
I've currently got a single CAT5e running down the outside of my house from my router (in the bedroom upstairs) to my skybox downstairs (in the living room). I want to upgrade my TV to a smart one (Internet) the one i've seen needs a seperate wifi adapter, but it's got a built in ethernet port. So instead of buying the wifi adapter could i just buy one of these? :-

ebay.co.uk/itm…%26

and then make up a couple of 0.5m Cat5's and connect both the Tv and skybox to my single Cat5 cable? Also where the Cat5 connects to my router would i have to split it again and use 2 ports on my router or could both the TV and the skybox use the same port on my router?

Thanks for any help :-)
Community Updates
AskSky
11 Comments
I'd just get a switch, then you can use both at the same time - Amazon usually have them for £5 or £6...here you go: amazon.co.uk/TP-…tch
IndianaBlues

I'd just get a switch, then you can use both at the same time - Amazon … I'd just get a switch, then you can use both at the same time - Amazon usually have them for £5 or £6...here you go: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SF1005D-100Mbps-Unmanaged-Desktop/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372993604&sr=8-1&keywords=ethernet+switch

Ok thanks, so where would this go? The same place where i said about the Splitter and then just a single connection to my router?
Yes, single connection to your router, just sit it behind your tv/sky box, plug the router connection into one of the ports and the sky and tv into two of the others. The switch will automatically share traffic to your router.
IndianaBlues

Yes, single connection to your router, just sit it behind your tv/sky … Yes, single connection to your router, just sit it behind your tv/sky box, plug the router connection into one of the ports and the sky and tv into two of the others. The switch will automatically share traffic to your router.

Cheers pal......... Much appreciated
i tried doing this with my sky box and xbox and the xbox would never connect online as long as both were plugged in, i just unplug the sky box now everytime i go online. Xbox must be greedy lol.
So your 360 wouldn't work with the network switch? Or with the Ethernet splitter? I use the WiFi on my 360 (slim not phat)
I believe Ethernet splitter can only deal with one Internet connection at a time (hence it was Xbox or sky)
Ethernet switch can handle as many devices as it has ports!
Ok I see note what you mean. I've ordered a Ethernet switch now, so should be good to go in the next few days :-)
dav465

I believe Ethernet splitter can only deal with one Internet connection at … I believe Ethernet splitter can only deal with one Internet connection at a time

Yes it can. RJ45 cable was designed for flood wiring office buildings. Each cable has 4 pairs of wires, but only 2 pairs and needed for a 10/100 mbps ethernet connection. The other 2 pairs are reserved for telephone and fax connections.

What an ethernet splitter does is re-arrange the pairs of wires so that you have two 10/100 ethernet connections. At the router end you need two patch cables connecting two of the routers network ports to the two sockets of one of the splitters. You then use RJ45 cable to connect it to the other splitter and this gives you two sockets each of which will take a patch cable carrying a 10/100 ethernet connection.
Thanks for that, very useful info ..... you learn something new everyday :-)
Thank you guys for all this info it helped me sort my box's out
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants