ethernet splitter - will this work?

Found 1st Feb 2012
Hi,

I have homeplugs to allow connection in a room with bad wireless signal.

Would I need two separate home plugs for xbox and computer or could I use a splitter?

So home plug, ethernet cable, splitter, two ethernet cables (one to pc, one to xbox)

would that work? Or would I need two homeplugs, one for each device?

in before, google is your friend etc. (I've tried that, mixed responses)

Thanks
Community Updates
Misc
9 Comments
^^^ that
You need an Ethernet switch
Thanks

Can they be used at the same time?

'switch' suggests you have to change between use?
You could take a look at the Devolo products. The wireless product has three ethernet ports as well as a wireless repeater.

See: amazon.co.uk/Dev…8-2
and: amazon.co.uk/Dev…8-1
Edited by: "john52" 1st Feb 2012
yes you can use them at the same time. Its just called a switch.
networks require a "smart" splitter which is called a switch allowing different IP addresses to be assigned
GentleTouch

ThanksCan they be used at the same time?'switch' suggests you have to … ThanksCan they be used at the same time?'switch' suggests you have to change between use?

They can be used at the same time, all of the ports can. Switches are pretty cheap
Thanks a lot!

So what I would have to do is power that switch, plug in ethernet from homeplug into that, and then an ethernet cable from the switch into the pc, and another one from the switch into the xbox?

Thanks again
GentleTouch

Thanks a lot!So what I would have to do is power that switch, plug in … Thanks a lot!So what I would have to do is power that switch, plug in ethernet from homeplug into that, and then an ethernet cable from the switch into the pc, and another one from the switch into the xbox?Thanks again

Yes, that's right.
GentleTouch

Can they be used at the same time?

Yes.

GentleTouch

'switch' suggests you have to change between use?

No. It's a more-or-less random name because the phrase 'ethernet hub' was already in common use and refered to something slower and inferior.

You'll also need to by a cross-over cable to connect the homeplug to the switch such as:
amazon.co.uk/CAT…J5C
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants