.eu and the brexit implications

Posted 14th Feb
I have a domain with a .eu tld.

I just got this message from my host/registrar which was recommended by @Andyroid Thanks they are still superb.

"In light of the UK's impending exit from the EU, we are no longer able to support, register or renew .eu domains. Please understand that this decision is being caused by the UK leaving the EU and not something we as a registrar can change.

The registrar EURid recently published a notice on their website detailing what will happen if/when the UK leaves the EU. We suggest that you read their notice to fully understand the situation and eligibility criteria.

If you do not meet the required ownership eligibility, there is a risk that your domain may be revoked.

For owners of a .eu.com domain, whilst this domain is not a EURid domain name, we will also be unable to support this domain extension moving forward as such it's crucial your domain is transferred to a registrar who is able to support this.

Kind Regards"

Anybody know a way to get around this to avoid the loss of multiple email accounts and website?
I have friends in France and Spain, can I just use their address'.
To be honest I think this is just a scare story as at the moment my .eu is registered to my NZ address without problems for the last 6 years. (no VAT).

As I'm not registered as GB or GI will I slip through the net being registered as NZ.

Any recommendations for a registrar/host for .eu domains?
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
mogsog14/02/2020 20:39

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/28/dot_eu_brexit/Here you go. The …https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/28/dot_eu_brexit/Here you go. The comments might help.

Thanks, I think I will just find an .eu registrar that they suggested in the comments and put my Primary School Headteachers address in France as residency. They are hardly going to knock on her door or send anything through the post.
My literal understanding which I am happy to have corrected:
"...You may register and optionally renew a .eu domain name if you fulfil the following criteria:
You represent an organisation established in: one of the European Union Member States; or Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway.
You are an individual: residing in one of the European Union Member States; or residing in Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway; or a citizen of one of the European Union Member States"

If not, expect the Brexit situation to prompt a purge of all non-qualifying reg's, regardless of any non-EU country owner location.
Should be OK if you represent an organisation "established" in EU, where "established" implies bricks&mortar presence, and you can credibly show your representation status (probably registered CEO, etc).
Otherwise consider your suggested EU-buddy route assuming trustworthy, whilst optionally registering sound/lookalike domain names maybe ending -eu.com or similar.
Any existing website will be fine in relation to the physical hosting regardless of loss of domain, but obvsly if purged the global domain name ref would need to be adjusted to the replacement domain name or no visitor would ever reach it, and a purge would also mean loss of original email mailbox recipient addresses although the raw mail hosting would still be accessible (but reasonably useless without copying existing content to alternative functional mailboxes).
That's probably less clear than EU mud.
AndyRoyd14/02/2020 21:20

My literal understanding which I am happy to have corrected:"...You may …My literal understanding which I am happy to have corrected:"...You may register and optionally renew a .eu domain name if you fulfil the following criteria: You represent an organisation established in: one of the European Union Member States; or Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway. You are an individual: residing in one of the European Union Member States; or residing in Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway; or a citizen of one of the European Union Member States"If not, expect the Brexit situation to prompt a purge of all non-qualifying reg's, regardless of any non-EU country owner location.Should be OK if you represent an organisation "established" in EU, where "established" implies bricks&mortar presence, and you can credibly show your representation status (probably registered CEO, etc).Otherwise consider your suggested EU-buddy route assuming trustworthy, whilst optionally registering sound/lookalike domain names maybe ending -eu.com or similar.Any existing website will be fine in relation to the physical hosting regardless of loss of domain, but obvsly if purged the global domain name ref would need to be adjusted to the replacement domain name or no visitor would ever reach it, and a purge would also mean loss of original email mailbox recipient addresses although the raw mail hosting would still be accessible (but reasonably useless without copying existing content to alternative functional mailboxes).That's probably less clear than EU mud.

Whoops spelt andyroid [sic] wrong again. I think I will leave it as registered in NZ and try to transfer it to namescheap as they support .eu tlds
If they refuse then I will change the address to a eu country or go the Estonia route
Edited by: "ǝlddɐuǝllɐɟ" 14th Feb
Seems that having Brexit in the "Ask" sends all the comments into moderation!
ǝlddɐuǝllɐɟ14/02/2020 21:27

Whoops spelt andyroid [sic] wrong again. I think I will leave it as …Whoops spelt andyroid [sic] wrong again. I think I will leave it as registered in NZ and try to transfer it to namescheap as they support .eu tlds

Namecheap's ability to register & renew is exclusively for EU citizens or EU org reps. An NZ owner would still not meet EURid qual criteria, unless EU org rep.
although the estonia route is 120 euro
ǝlddɐuǝllɐɟ14/02/2020 21:42

although the estonia route is 120 euro

Does that involve employing an EU-qualifying organisation to ghost register for you?
My hosting provider offered any customer the option to maintain an .eu domain by migrating it to Germany.

"There is currently no further guidance from the EURid or UK Gov on how Brexit will affect .eu domain names for registants based in the UK. Our advice is to modify your registrant details (via your client area) to a .eu entity (person or organisation) where possible.

If you don't have the option to do this then we advise waiting for further information from the EURid organisation, who are currently stating that any plan regarding .eu domains is on hold until further information is made available from the EU Commission. Updates can be found on their website when available: eurid.eu/en/…ce/"
I managed to change my address to France but Krystal are no longer supporting .eu. trying namescheap now
Strange that google domains doesn't support .eu tlds
guru40414/02/2020 22:14

My hosting provider offered any customer the option to maintain an .eu …My hosting provider offered any customer the option to maintain an .eu domain by migrating it to Germany."There is currently no further guidance from the EURid or UK Gov on how Brexit will affect .eu domain names for registants based in the UK. Our advice is to modify your registrant details (via your client area) to a .eu entity (person or organisation) where possible. If you don't have the option to do this then we advise waiting for further information from the EURid organisation, who are currently stating that any plan regarding .eu domains is on hold until further information is made available from the EU Commission. Updates can be found on their website when available: https://eurid.eu/en/register-a-eu-domain/brexit-notice/"

Who is your hosting provider?
AndyRoyd14/02/2020 21:56

Does that involve employing an EU-qualifying organisation to ghost …Does that involve employing an EU-qualifying organisation to ghost register for you?

yes, too much for me..
I'm going to leave it with bestwebhosting for now and see what happens in the next 8 months
ǝlddɐuǝllɐɟ14/02/2020 22:33

Who is your hosting provider?

Hostpresto. I get a feeling though that this all needs to have been done pre 31st Jan.
Bestwebhosting refunded my renewal and told me to find someone else to registery domain. Hostpresto have acceptedy transfer. Thanks @guru
guru40415/02/2020 13:03

Hostpresto. I get a feeling though that this all needs to have been done …Hostpresto. I get a feeling though that this all needs to have been done pre 31st Jan.

Transferred to Hostpresto after changing the owners info to a French Address. Oddly my previous registrar gave me the wrong EPP code. I got the correct code from Euros and the second attempt went fine.
AndyRoyd14/02/2020 21:56

Does that involve employing an EU-qualifying organisation to ghost …Does that involve employing an EU-qualifying organisation to ghost register for you?

Sorted thanks, fingers crossed.
ǝlddɐuǝllɐɟ17/02/2020 20:16

Transferred to Hostpresto after changing the owners info to a French …Transferred to Hostpresto after changing the owners info to a French Address. Oddly my previous registrar gave me the wrong EPP code. I got the correct code from Euros and the second attempt went fine.

Their customer service is flawless.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants