EU drivers in uk insurance help

13 replies
Found 16th May
anyone out there with an EU licence who has not been in the UK 5 years? I am trying to get my partner as an additional driver on my policy. I am on as main driver & my mom is also on. So my partner would be the 3rd drier. they have had their EU licence for 12 years but have "only" been resident in the uk for 4 years. My insurer (RAC) refused to add them claiming it's due to EU licence.
seems ridiculous. my partner currently has their own car but its about to fail its mot so we figured i'll just add to mines & we will car share.How is it possible that they are able to get their own insurance (not RAC) as a main & only driver on the policy yet my insurer refuses to add them?
i think their insurance was about £750. My insurance is £450. RAC told me to would have to change underwriter and my premium would go from £450 to £950 to add my partner.
again this seems ridiculous that it would be more expensive to have 3 drivers on a policy than for them to have their own as the main driver.
Just FYI my partner is 30 years old almost 31 so not exactly a young driver either.

1. Ask
  2. Insurance
13 Comments

So your partner can swap eu license to U.K. straight away. There is £50 fee

This is why there are hundreds of insurance companies, some will accept the EU licence for a lot cheaper than your quote.
Why can't she swap her existing insurance to your car .... so she's the main driver on your car?

The underwriter, that RAC are currently using for your policy simply does not allow what you are requesting.

Nothing much you can do there.

Also, not sure if you've just wrote it wrong, but £950 for all three drivers with a new underwriter, is a lot cheaper than the two separate policies you have stated?

Can the car not be repaired, save all the hassle?

Original Poster

japes

This is why there are hundreds of insurance companies, some will accept … This is why there are hundreds of insurance companies, some will accept the EU licence for a lot cheaper than your quote.Why can't she swap her existing insurance to your car .... so she's the main driver on your car?

wouldnt i need to transfer ownership of the car to her though if shes the main? Plus then id need to cancel my policy & get insured through her insurer as a second driver & i'd have to pay cancellation fee.

Original Poster

simonturner69

The underwriter, that RAC are currently using for your policy simply does … The underwriter, that RAC are currently using for your policy simply does not allow what you are requesting.Nothing much you can do there.Also, not sure if you've just wrote it wrong, but £950 for all three drivers with a new underwriter, is a lot cheaper than the two separate policies you have stated?Can the car not be repaired, save all the hassle?

huh what? my insurance policy has me as the main driver & my mom as additional driver. it is with RAC & I am the owner of my vechicle.
my partner has their own vehicle which they are insured on as a main & only driver with another insurer.
paying out that amount just to add her & "hassle" of car sharing much benefit over gtting another car

little_green

wouldnt i need to transfer ownership of the car to her though if shes … wouldnt i need to transfer ownership of the car to her though if shes the main? Plus then id need to cancel my policy & get insured through her insurer as a second driver & i'd have to pay cancellation fee.

​No, perfectly normal to be insured as the main driver on your spouse's car ... me and the wife swapped cars so it's exactly​ what we do.
She may have an easier time adding you as an additional driver but I believe (someone may correct me) you can both have separate insurance on the same car

japes

No, perfectly normal to be insured as the main driver on your spouse's … No, perfectly normal to be insured as the main driver on your spouse's car ... me and the wife swapped cars so it's exactly what we do.She may have an easier time adding you as an additional driver but I believe (someone may correct me) you can both have separate insurance on the same car

Yes you can have 2 insurances on the 1 car as long as the drivers are completely different on both policies.

This however will work out a lot more expensive for certain. The best way to do this is to just go online and do a comparison quote for all 3 drivers on the car as a new policy. As mentioned above there are many insurers out there to beat other prices.

If your mum doesn't need to be on the policy then you're better off insuring just you and your partner as it's cheaper. If your mum needs to be on there then all 3.

Original Poster

JohnnyRoller

Yes you can have 2 insurances on the 1 car as long as the drivers are … Yes you can have 2 insurances on the 1 car as long as the drivers are completely different on both policies.This however will work out a lot more expensive for certain. The best way to do this is to just go online and do a comparison quote for all 3 drivers on the car as a new policy. As mentioned above there are many insurers out there to beat other prices.If your mum doesn't need to be on the policy then you're better off insuring just you and your partner as it's cheaper. If your mum needs to be on there then all 3.

i could try that, albeit i'll loose and have to pay a cancellation fee.

the plot thickens. my underwriter with RAC is aviva . wasnt sure who the o/h was insured by she just got home from work & asked her & she said she is insured with aviva. WTF!???

little_green

i could try that, albeit i'll loose and have to pay a cancellation … i could try that, albeit i'll loose and have to pay a cancellation fee.the plot thickens. my underwriter with RAC is aviva . wasnt sure who the o/h was insured by she just got home from work & asked her & she said she is insured with aviva. WTF!???

This may be the case but you don't really have a choice. They don't cover her so they can't insure her. If your mum doesn't need to be on the policy then it's likely the overall premium will be less on a new policy with just you and the mrs. So will cancel out the cancellation fee.

For future reference this a dedicated section on HUKD for questions:

hotukdeals.com/all…new

You'd get a better response there, than misc.

Original Poster

BarmyBulldog

For future reference this a dedicated section on HUKD for … For future reference this a dedicated section on HUKD for questions:http://www.hotukdeals.com/all/ask/newYou'd get a better response there, than misc.

I am aware it exists but my threads never seem to work when I post them there

Where is your partner from. I only ask as i have a polish friend/employee whom i try to help out with his car insurance etc and his quotes are ridiculous prices for his age.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I5 7600k vs i5 740011
    2. Computer upgrades89
    3. Invisalign dental braces in London22
    4. Whey protien629

See more discussions