Groups

EU law entitles partial PS3 refund due to removal of OtherOS!

For all the people who bought a PS3 from Amazon UK

maxconsole.net/con…rOS

link below for lazy ppl

229 Comments

LOL is this serious?!
    are we gonna expect a wave of refunds?

Banned

Artonox;8321715

LOL is this serious?!are we gonna expect a wave of refunds?

im wondering the same, refunds left right and centre

dj_urban;8321720

im wondering the same, refunds left right and centre

tbh, my opinion is that whilst i cant really see that happening (imagines people with ps3 receipts running into Game queuing for refund but maybe one or two), i should expect sony to come out and say something VERY soon.

Everyone should do it. Sony deserve to be punished for their mistake. It was a nice quiet system to run as a Linux/ media PC /

dontasciime;8321725

Everyone should do it. Sony deserve to be punished for their mistake. It … Everyone should do it. Sony deserve to be punished for their mistake. It was a nice quiet system to run as a Linux/ media PC /

I agree that Sony needs to be punished - this punishes Sony in terms of reputation, yet Amazon gets punished financially.
    IMO, a brand is more valuable than money for a business to survive. Just feel kinda bad that amazon is gonna get hurt in the wallet, since this takes account of every old ps3 in the EU, where it is actually one of the more popular areas in the world for a ps3 owner

Banned

Artonox;8321724

tbh, my opinion is that whilst i cant really see that happening (imagines … tbh, my opinion is that whilst i cant really see that happening (imagines people with ps3 receipts running into Game queuing for refund but maybe one or two), i should expect sony to come out and say something VERY soon.

Who knows maybe they will add the feature back, When you think back to launch model it had BC , Sony controversially removed the feature to play ps2 games on future models, rumour mill since last year is that " Selected dreamcast titles and the back catalog of ps2 games will hit PSN TBC?TBA?"

if you think about it god of war 1&2 ps2 titles got a convert to bd disc recoded to work on ps3, i think a software update will work ps2 games if they are recoded to work with ps3 reather than being emulated.

dontasciime;8321725

Everyone should do it. Sony deserve to be punished for their mistake. It … Everyone should do it. Sony deserve to be punished for their mistake. It was a nice quiet system to run as a Linux/ media PC /

I never used linux so the removal of the feature doesn't bother me,

im sure someone posted a link that 3.21fw is affecting consoles after the removal of other os?

Artonox;8321742

I agree that Sony needs to be punished - this punishes Sony in terms of … I agree that Sony needs to be punished - this punishes Sony in terms of reputation, yet Amazon gets punished financially.IMO, a brand is more valuable than money for a business to survive. Just feel kinda bad that amazon is gonna get hurt in the wallet, since this takes account of every old ps3 in the EU, where it is actually one of the more popular areas in the world for a ps3 owner

Surely Amazon can claim against Sony for screwing up when the refunds fly in.

Banned

mr.potato_head;8321754

Surely Amazon can claim against Sony for screwing up when the refunds fly … Surely Amazon can claim against Sony for screwing up when the refunds fly in.

that will depend on their contract.

Knew this would happen, didn't expect it to be this quick, and expected it to go to court, fair play to amazon for giving a refund without hassle.

this shouldn't just affect Amazon should it? Anyone can claim this from any company they bought the ps3 from.

i should try get a refund on mine since all of its capabilities were removed by YLOD :thumbsup:

Joking aside i believe everyone should do this since it unfair of sony to remove a feature.. I mean would you be happy if they removed the gaming feature of the PS3? i think not. This is the same. Sony should have to re-introduce.

An exciting development - if it's true that is!

Another exciting development here: maxconsole.net/con…rOS

Whatever Sony does its win/win. They either save money or save face.

So if I dont upgrade to 3.21 (not turned on since xmas) all the features of my 60gb ps3 will stay the same?

GAVINLEWISHUKD;8321809

So if I dont upgrade to 3.21 (not turned on since xmas) all the features … So if I dont upgrade to 3.21 (not turned on since xmas) all the features of my 60gb ps3 will stay the same?

Yes, but you can't get on the PSN store or play online without updating.
    Well, that's not strictly true as there's a workaround where you edit the DNS settings or something - haven't looked into it as I never play online so don't know any details. There's a few threads detailing it around here somewhere..

oldmanhouse;8321813

Yes, but you can't get on the PSN store or play online without … Yes, but you can't get on the PSN store or play online without updating.Well, that's not strictly true as there's a workaround where you edit the DNS settings or something - haven't looked into it as I never play online so don't know any details. There's a few threads detailing it around here somewhere..

Ah ok. So it's sort of update or else. Don't use it online either, but guessing the problem with not updating is you will end up with less and less over time. Will miss not having it a a linux machine though (even though not used it for 6 months) Might be worth a trip down Currys as still have the box and receipt.

So looking at it from the other perspective Sony have taken online gaming away which is the minor feature for me, but much bigger in the grand scheme.

oldmanhouse;8321805

An exciting development - if it's true that is!Another exciting … An exciting development - if it's true that is!Another exciting development here: http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?39517-Video-Geohot-shows-off-Custom-Firmware-PS3-3-21-with-OtherOS

It's so funny. He is a saviour and a devil to so many.

There's a rumour that the next update to hit the ps3 takes away the power button.

Might as well as they are ruining it bit by bit via hardware removal and software remove and restrictions.

Demand refund/ partial refund. Simple as that.

Banned

This is great news and hopefully the start of something bigger. Just shows it was a bigger deal than some on here would have you believe.

Ok so I just emailed amazon there asking for a partial refund, received a quick reply. Heres what I got:

Please be advised that we are aware of this issue and this has already been escalated to the relevant department for investigation. We will contact you again by April 14, 2010 with an update.

I'm sure amazon are contacting sony to vent their anger right now, I'm hoping for a partial refund at least. I urge anyone who bought from amazon to email, you never know. Just be clear that the other OS feature was one of the main reasons for purchasing the console, and that the removal renders the console not fit for the purpose stated when you bought it.

is this for any sony playstation or just the 60gb ones? got a 40gb one i got a while back from amazon

taz12345;8325489

Ok so I just emailed amazon there asking for a partial refund, received a … Ok so I just emailed amazon there asking for a partial refund, received a quick reply. Heres what I got:Please be advised that we are aware of this issue and this has already been escalated to the relevant department for investigation. We will contact you again by April 14, 2010 with an update.I'm sure amazon are contacting sony to vent their anger right now, I'm hoping for a partial refund at least. I urge anyone who bought from amazon to email, you never know. Just be clear that the other OS feature was one of the main reasons for purchasing the console, and that the removal renders the console not fit for the purpose stated when you bought it.

But as its already been circumnavigated Sony may as well put it back in. So next week could just be an announcement that the next patch will re-include the otherOS for relevant consoles.

Be interesting to see what happens.

A-n-d-y;8325544

is this for any sony playstation or just the 60gb ones?

Its for any apart from the slim as this never had the feature in the first place. I bought an 80gb from amazon. I don't wanna lose linux on my machine, great for surfing the web and using emulators.

GAVINLEWISHUKD;8325549

But as its already been circumnavigated Sony may as well put it back in. … But as its already been circumnavigated Sony may as well put it back in. So next week could just be an announcement that the next patch will re-include the otherOS for relevant consoles.Be interesting to see what happens.

Since its not really a majorly used feature I expect two things. Either amazon will refund anyone who asks and sony will re-imburse them, or they will add the feature back in. Even so both outcomes work out in the users favour.

Where are all the "nay-sayers" now???

I don't want to say "I told you so"...but...

Banned

thesaint;8325581

Where are all the "nay-sayers" now???I don't want to say "I told you … Where are all the "nay-sayers" now???I don't want to say "I told you so"...but...

you told who so what?

intresting, i just checked my order history and i got mine from amazon way back in 2007.

Good. I hope Amazon get put over a barrel on this one, they deserve it!!!

colinsunderland;8325613

you told who so what?

Read your sentence twice, and I said

"Huh?" :?

StevenA2000_uk;8325651

Good. I hope Amazon get put over a barrel on this one, they deserve … Good. I hope Amazon get put over a barrel on this one, they deserve it!!!:)

Amazon have done the right thing. It effects all retailers

Banned

surely there must be a time limit on this? 2 years?
    Otherwise people could go into Game and demand a partial refund because Microsoft turned off the original Xbox servers?
    A bit ridiculous really, it's likely that the "other OS" feature will return in some form or another in a future update.

Pirating really does spoil it for everyone...:x

sennasnit;8325685

surely there must be a time limit on this? 2 years?Otherwise people could … surely there must be a time limit on this? 2 years?Otherwise people could go into Game and demand a partial refund because Microsoft turned off the original Xbox servers?A bit ridiculous really, it's likely that the "other OS" feature will return in some form or another in a future update.Pirating really does spoil it for everyone...:x

I think there is a limit of 2 years or thereabouts. Pirating was present on the ps2 but it never really impacted on its success. Same with the ps3, its only going to be practiced by a small minority, sony really shouldn't be removing features like this anyway.

sennasnit;8325685

surely there must be a time limit on this? 2 years?Otherwise people could … surely there must be a time limit on this? 2 years?Otherwise people could go into Game and demand a partial refund because Microsoft turned off the original Xbox servers?A bit ridiculous really, it's likely that the "other OS" feature will return in some form or another in a future update.Pirating really does spoil it for everyone...:x

I would say the time limit would be 6 years(There is no direct correlation), as that is the maximum amount that the Sale of Goods Act is valid for in any circumstances.

The longer you've had it, the less you would be entitled to.

I urge anyone who has bought a PHAT PS3 contact their retailer with the below filling in their details...

Dear ...........

As per the recent firmware update and removal of the 'Other OS' from Sony's Playstation 3 (the reason I bought the Playstation in the first place)

I would now like a full or partial refund of the above order under the European law Directive 1999/44/C which states that the goods must:

Comply with the description given by the seller and posses the same qualities and characteristics as other similar goods AND be fit for the purpose which the consumer requires them and which was made known to the seller at the time of purchase.

As a major feature has now been removed without prior warning (Other OS) the console did not fit the original description at the time of sale and therefore is not fit for purpose.

I look forward to hearing from you,

StevenA2000_uk;8325651

Good. I hope Amazon get put over a barrel on this one, they deserve … Good. I hope Amazon get put over a barrel on this one, they deserve it!!!:)

Do I detect sarcasm? :thumbsup:

thesaint;8325658

Amazon have done the right thing. It effects all retailers

Not sure how that relates to the statement I made, but thanks....I think. :thinking:

Mallinersha;8325827

Do I detect sarcasm? :thumbsup:

Not at all. What you detect is the satisfaction that I will get knowing that Amazon will be paying back a bucket load of money to customers. :thumbsup:

StevenA2000_uk;8325869

Not at all. What you detect is the satisfaction that I will get knowing … Not at all. What you detect is the satisfaction that I will get knowing that Amazon will be paying back a bucket load of money to customers. :thumbsup:

Has Amazon been evil towards you then?

StevenA2000_uk;8325869

Not sure how that relates to the statement I made, but thanks....I think. … Not sure how that relates to the statement I made, but thanks....I think. :thinking:

You said that "Amazon deserves..."

Are you talking about this situation, or something completely off-topic that you haven't disclosed?

thesaint;8325946

You said that "Amazon deserves..."Are you talking about this situation, … You said that "Amazon deserves..."Are you talking about this situation, or something completely off-topic that you haven't disclosed?

I was commenting on the thread and the financial ramifications to Amazon. Pretty clear.

StevenA2000_uk;8325869

Not sure how that relates to the statement I made, but thanks....I think. … Not sure how that relates to the statement I made, but thanks....I think. :thinking:Not at all. What you detect is the satisfaction that I will get knowing that Amazon will be paying back a bucket load of money to customers. :thumbsup:

they'll get it back from Sony, it's not the retailers fault.

DVS_Dee;8326083

they'll get it back from Sony, it's not the retailers fault.

I dont remember saying that the retailer was at fault :? but I dont disagree with you.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …84142
      2. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043
      3. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1111
      4. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2748

See more discussions