Groups

EU to introduce law to force operators to offer 12 month contracts

EU law will be in place in may, force mobile phone operators to provide 12 month contracts. Meaning they cant get any more stupid and offer 36 month contracts as I've seen.

Did miss read at first but its a step in the right direction

21 Comments

Original Poster

Edited by: "golemsmate" 15th Feb 2011

Prices will shoot up now then (_;)

Banned

What next? Bananas being too straight? (No homo)

Banned

Glad to hear it. However, wont the 12month contracts just increase in price now?

Original Poster

choc1969

Prices will shoot up now then (_;)

Yup, I saw some vodafone pricing and the iphone deals look really expensive

Good stuff.

Sim only deals will get a lot more popular.

18 and 24 month contracts will still exist, it's just they now have to offer a 12 month option too

Banned

My brother hates contracts.

Original Poster

oldmanhouse

18 and 24 month contracts will still exist, it's just they now have to … 18 and 24 month contracts will still exist, it's just they now have to offer a 12 month option too

true true, least it cant go above 24.

Am I misreading the article?

Seems to me that it just forces operators to offer 12 month options, they are still permitted to offer 18 and 24 month (at a maximum) contracts.

Shouldn't mean much at all.. Only that any phones which don't have a 12 month contract, will. They will be expensive, in the same way they already are now..

Or am I missing something.....

Only plus... iPhone 12 month contracts on all networks, not just Tesco Mobile.
    Edited by: "spritey" 15th Feb 2011

Original Poster

spritey

Am I misreading the article?Seems to me that it just forces operators to … Am I misreading the article?Seems to me that it just forces operators to offer 12 month options, they are still permitted to offer 18 and 24 month (at a maximum) contracts.Shouldn't mean much at all.. Only that any phones which don't have a 12 month contract, will. They will just be expensive, in the same way they already are now..Or am I missing something.....

I read it wrong, I've changed the OP so I dont confuse anybody else

12month contracts are going to be ridiculously expensive, iphone sales should see a drop cant see people paying over £250 for the phone plus £40- £45 a month.

Ah, genuinely thought I was seeing things hehe.

I paid around £230? For a iPhone 4 on a 12 month £35p/m contract with Tesco Mobile... Be happy if all networks started offering similar deals, doubt it though. Should affect 18/24 month contracts though, you'll just see a whole stack of 12 month contracts again.. Just expensive, as they should be....

Mobiles are far more expensive to develop, market, manufacture and support than back when 12 month contracts were common place.
    Edited by: "spritey" 15th Feb 2011

sarbjeet_

12month contracts are going to be ridiculously expensive, iphone sales … 12month contracts are going to be ridiculously expensive, iphone sales should see a drop cant see people paying over £250 for the phone plus £40- £45 a month.

There will still be 18 month options.

And no not really, may just force the price of a handset i.e what tesco do £200 odd for iphone plus £25 a month.

I know but majority of people will just see that and be put off unlike people on HUKD who know how to get the best deal.

Banned

spritey

Ah, genuinely thought I was seeing things hehe.I paid around £230? For a … Ah, genuinely thought I was seeing things hehe.I paid around £230? For a iPhone 4 on a 12 month £35p/m contract with Tesco Mobile... Be happy if all networks started offering similar deals, doubt it though. Should affect 18/24 month contracts though, you'll just see a whole stack of 12 month contracts again.. Just expensive, as they should be....Mobiles are far more expensive to develop, market, manufacture and support than back when 12 month contracts were common place.

really, in relative terms?

does a ferrari cost any more than it did 10 years go?

i remember my first mobile phone and it was just s expensive as an iphone et al now....if not cheaper these days
    Edited by: "casparwhite" 15th Feb 2011

Banned

spritey

Ah, genuinely thought I was seeing things hehe.I paid around £230? For a … Ah, genuinely thought I was seeing things hehe.I paid around £230? For a iPhone 4 on a 12 month £35p/m contract with Tesco Mobile... Be happy if all networks started offering similar deals, doubt it though. Should affect 18/24 month contracts though, you'll just see a whole stack of 12 month contracts again.. Just expensive, as they should be....Mobiles are far more expensive to develop, market, manufacture and support than back when 12 month contracts were common place.

I would have thought things were cheaper now - for example the gsm infrastructure is in place saving millions on investment in that. Technology is cheaper so phones should be cheaper to produce in bulk.

I also thought everyone offered 12 month contracts anyway? Who doesn't?

colinsunderland

I would have thought things were cheaper now - for example the gsm … I would have thought things were cheaper now - for example the gsm infrastructure is in place saving millions on investment in that. Technology is cheaper so phones should be cheaper to produce in bulk. I also thought everyone offered 12 month contracts anyway? Who doesn't?

no one offers 12 month contracts nowadays afaik apart from tesco

You can get sim only 12 monthers

Banned

MarzBarz

no one offers 12 month contracts nowadays afaik apart from tescoYou can … no one offers 12 month contracts nowadays afaik apart from tescoYou can get sim only 12 monthers

ah, its only usually sim only i look for and I'm with tesco so that explains it

Banned

MarzBarz

no one offers 12 month contracts nowadays afaik apart from tescoYou can … no one offers 12 month contracts nowadays afaik apart from tescoYou can get sim only 12 monthers

there are 279 12 month contracts available on omnio...... few are ipads/galaxy tabs but most are phones?

omio.com/deals
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just an thought regarding Paypal98
      2. Samsung 4k TVs which one 49/55inch curved? £1.50034
      3. Type 11, 21 or 22 Radiators?24
      4. Which Kodi Add-ons?1314

See more discussions