Groups

    Eueeeww! Is your Sophie the Giraffe toy full of mould?

    Editor
    Sophie the Giraffe is so popular right now, so these photos are pretty disturbing, especially when they are from a Teether toy - something that WILL go in your childs mouth!

    Parents have been sharing pictures of their Sophie the Giraffe teether toys revealing black mould growing inside them, and it seems to be a pretty common issue.

    http://i.imgur.com/B1s9ZTw.jpg

    Pediatric dentist, and parent, Dana Chianese found the disgusting mouldy mess inside the Sophie the Giraffe toy after being alerted to it by an unpleasant smell. As reported on Good HouseKeeping:

    "I decided to cut into Sophie out of curiosity and discovered a science experiment living inside," Chianese told Goodhousekeeping.com. "Smelly, ugly mold living in my infant's favorite chew toy!"


    There's been some complaints on Amazon too.

    http://i.imgur.com/sOXKGgi.png

    Sophie the Giraffe have responded to the mould claims. The site reports:

    "As indicated on the packaging and in an explanatory leaflet inside the packaging, we recommend to clean the surface of Sophie The Giraffe with a damp cloth. It should not be immersed in the water nor rinsed off, to prevent water from getting inside, as she may become damaged. We thus would like to emphasise on the fact that it is important, while cleaning the product, that no water gets inside the hole."


    It's probably time to check you Sophie the Giraffe toy!

    Link to full story at Good HouseKeeping

    11 Comments

    interesting, I have two Sophies in my house. I remember reading when we got the first it wasn't to be immersed in water so never have as I saw what happened to all or squirter bath toys! my second child uses it still, it's about 3 1/2 years old it doesn't smell but it does look a bit grubby on the outside. Maybe I should cut it open to see, but then if it's fine I'll be annoyed I've ruined it. hmmm

    Its mould from your childs saliva sitting inside it that is all. Just replace it or steam clean it after they use it

    why would child's saliva produce mould?

    davewave

    why would child's saliva produce mould?



    Mould spores are everywhere. All it takes for them to take root and become a visible mould is a suitable source of stagnant moisture, which is what the damp build up from saliva creates inside these toys.

    There should really be better sealing, or mould-resistant treatment inside them.

    Put it in the dishwasher every night?

    davewave

    why would child's saliva produce mould?


    I am more surprised at the inclination of it being ok if it's mould from your kids spit!
    Eating mould is fine as long as it's yours!

    fireman1

    I am more surprised at the inclination of it being ok if it's mould from … I am more surprised at the inclination of it being ok if it's mould from your kids spit!Eating mould is fine as long as it's yours!



    No not at all thats just being stupid isnt it!

    The way the article is written suggest that Sofie turns up with mold inside already.
    My point was if you dont clean your childrens toys if they are dribbling and sucking them, they will all have some sort of mold whether you can see them or not.

    has anyone steam sterilised these and have had them come out ok I.e not ruining the texture of the giraffe?

    Never seen that looks like a dog toy it's horrible what's wrong with a good old teething ring.

    Sophie will be on sky news soon.

    Dirty giraffe
    Post a comment
    Avatar
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767499
      2. Bearded chat1020
      3. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691427
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7301386

      See more discussions