Euro Car Parks at Morrisons

Found 20th Nov 2011
Maybe some of our Morrisons' regulars can answer this one.

Anyone ever fell foul of the car park 'time restriction'? If so, did you pay/fight it/ignore it? Was through in Edinburgh helping daughter move into student accommodation. The flats actually sit in a corner of the upper level car park at this store. Used the lower level car park in the morning when we had breakfast in-store and moved to the upper level shortly after (this part of the car park NEVER had another car in it all day. Did visit the store twice more during the day, and have receipts for all 3 visits. Tried appealing directly to the store manager, but didn't get a reply from him. Did get another letter from "Euro..." saying appeal was unsuccessful (nice of the manager to tell me, NOT!). Was thinking of trying to appeal to MD of Morrisons, but unsure if wasting my time.

Anyone else been through this? Should I just pay the £90 or keep fighting?
Community Updates
MiscCar
25 Comments
If you broke the rules and go caught, I'd definitely say appeal it, but if that was unsuccessful I'd say pay.

Might be worth the letter to Head Office though with your receipts, you might get a gesture of goodwill from them but you broke the rules, you have to bite the bullet and pay up
The one near me your only allowed in it so long and then not allowed to return within a certain time.......is it different at yours? If it doesnt make that clear at yours fight it
Banned
jase.2

The one near me your only allowed in it so long and then not allowed to … The one near me your only allowed in it so long and then not allowed to return within a certain time.......is it different at yours? If it doesnt make that clear at yours fight it

same here thats why i shop at asda........
One word. Pepipoo. Google it
Why didnt you move the car after the stated time had expired?
Aren't these types of tickets legally unenforceable?

I got one from ECP when I overstayed in a Halfords car park a couple of years ago.

I ignored their letters and after a few months they stopped chasing me.

Check the forums at PepiPoo for advice.
Edited by: "HappyShopper" 20th Nov 2011
Euro car parks are a pain in the ass. Im a contractor for Morrisons and we get tickets and spend ages sorting them out. Now I just pull up outside the car park and put a folded bit of A4 over the number plate and drive in and park up. Then do the same on the way out. Best of luck.
Just ignore it, they will never take you to court.
Do not appeal. Do not pay. They cannot win in court so will just send threatening letters, then stop bothering.
Unenforceable, no matter what they say. But they will write to you making out they'll take you to court, so if that kind of threat will scare you then pay up so they'll leave you alone. If you ignore them, they'll go away eventually though.
Also remember it's not a fine. Only the Police and Council can issue a fine. They have simply invoiced you for the use of the car park at an over-inflated price disguised as a fine. How nice of them to ask for £90 for using their car park, let them take a hike.

Now you have "appealed" (there is no such thing as an appeals process, can you imagine them saying no we don't want your money) they will probably send a few more letters to frighten you as they know they got to you already.
Edited by: "anewman" 20th Nov 2011
In Scotland you have to pay to park in a supermarket?
It is a civil matter and evidence of the driver is required from ECP (photo/video) for them to pursue you through the courts. If they don't have evidence and they request registered keeper details from DVLA, you are not obliged to forward the driver details. The matter should be addressed with ECP and not Morrisons.
The Therapist

It is a civil matter and evidence of the driver is required from ECP … It is a civil matter and evidence of the driver is required from ECP (photo/video) for them to pursue you through the courts. If they don't have evidence and they request registered keeper details from DVLA, you are not obliged to forward the driver details. The matter should be addressed with ECP and not Morrisons.

Even with evidence they will not succeed at court. A private company cannot penalise an individual, even if such a penalty was detailed in a contract, and they are only legally entitled to actual losses - which under such circumstances are usually none. See caselaw Dunlop V New Garage and Motor Co. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunlop_Pneumatic_Tyre_Co_Ltd_v_New_Garage_%26_Motor_Co_Ltd

Pictures are often sent to people in the post to try scare them as it's a common method nowadays for such companies to use cameras. Not unkown for someone to make 2 visits to McDonalds in the same day, and the camera to not register them leaving the first time, but to register them leaving the second time and send a fake fine in the post. And guess what happens when people under such circumstances "appeal". Yep "appeal denied" letter. Tells you all you need to know about these outfits.
Edited by: "anewman" 20th Nov 2011
Original Poster
pinkleponkle

Why didnt you move the car after the stated time had expired?

Didn't realise it was automatic number plate recognition. Was keeping eyes open all day for a warden. It's not my local, It was a one-off visit.
Original Poster
sancho1983

I think this one might be an exception, rather than the rule. I'm guessing it's because the supermarket and college are 15 yards apart, and obviously open to serious abuse.
sancho1983

I've been to the Morrisons just off the M8 out side Glasgow loads of times and never paid or been asked to
bassman_uk

One word. Pepipoo. Google it

thats 2 words
don't pay,unenforceable
boltonboyuk

thats 2 words

Really?
Well before you take all the advice above you need to check who owns the car park. While it may be plastered with Morrisons signage it may infact be owned by the local authority. Sadly they will spend as much as required and tend not to give up. So finding out who owns the carpark is you first post of call on deciding what to do.
It won't matter who owns the car park - the only tickets of this type that are legally enforceable are those issued by the council. If the council have deemed ECP fit to administer it, then the 'fine' will be issued by ECP and is a matter of contract law - ie, the driver entered into a contract with them when they chose to park there.

They will give up. They might have a bit more tenacity if they have a whole heap of tickets being ignored for one vehicle, but because so many people DO pay up, they DO NOT spend the money chasing one offs.

Lowrieh1, ignore the letters - they will get stronger and talk about CCJs and other such scary stuff, but they will not chase you as it is almost impossible for them to prove who the driver is. Don't respond to them again - by appealing they will have a little more hope that you might be a payer and could chase you harder, but it should only be by letter. If you want to see the paper trail they will create, have a look here and hopefully that will reassure you.

Also, have a look at the lovely (?) Ann Watchdog report
Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for a very comprehensive set of responses. I had been told this might be unenforceable, but didn't want to rely solely on 1 view. Now, it does seem as though this is sound advice and I think I will take my chances.

Thanks again peeps.
boltonboyuk

thats 2 words

lmao fail
There was a guy posted a thread a little while back. Had a court summons for the next day. Was advised to contact Pepipoo. Long and short of it was in a few hours they gave him enough info to fight his corner.
He won his case.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants