Eurogamer sources suggest a Mini Snes is incoming

Editor
What it will probably look like...

https://i1.wp.com/news.konsolenkost.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Mini-SNES-Bild.jpg?fit=800%2C450&ssl=1

What it probably won't look like...

https://s11.postimg.org/dqpzy3bqr/someone-built-a-snes-mini_gg2p-2.jpg

So, after the recent announcement of the end of production for the Mini NES, it looks like Nintendo are all set to release the Mini SNES. Sounds like great news to me, until those prices are racked right back up into the £100s (currently £250(ish) on eBay).

What do you think? Is it even worth getting excited about, or would you hold out for the daddy of them all...the Mini N64?

[source: Eurogamer]

Top comments

Original Poster Editor

Zuulan

I'll bite when the mini PS1 comes out.

Like this one (_;)
78 Comments

See, I sometimes feel just stupid like a donkey throwing money at collector's edition games (which many name tat), but I have always been laughing at those who paid the new tech prices for a 20-30 years old device...

It's not though, it's a new old device with modern parts and connection. £50 for the nes classic clearly wasn't unreasonable to ask for considering the demand.

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2017/04/19/2016-03-3119.08.14002.jpg
Edited by: "Zuulan" 19th Apr

Original Poster Editor

Zuulan

Like this one (_;)

I use a Amazon fire TV running the snes emulator with a 8bitdo Bluetooth controller, works brilliantly but these official things are still tempting me.
Edited by: "dave859" 19th Apr

BuzzDuraband

Like this one(_;)

Any source where to buy this old tech from, please? It is so cute, lol.

These companies have twigged there is money to be made in nostalgia.

I couldn't resist when Tamiya re-leased the Big Wig and will struggle to resist a mini SNES/Megadrive/PS1.

BuzzDuraband

Like this one(_;)

I think that's a normal sized PS1 with screen, it's just been operated by a Giant.

Pre-order one for yourself and pre-order one for eBay to cover the cost.

Zuulan

Buy a regular sized one from gumtree.
Edited by: "catbeans" 19th Apr

Banned

Zuulan

Given how well NES Classic took off, Sony would have to be fools to not follow with a PS1 Classic. That system has as much market / nostalgia goodwill as NES, in fact it has even more depending on the region (UK and Europe, for example).

Doubt they could pull it off for £50, though. Then again, I think it would sell out even if it went for £99.

catbeans

Buy a regular sized one from gumtree.

Why, because Gumtree pre-shrink them before sending them out?

I've actually still got an original PlayStation, PSP, SNES, N64, Wii and a Phat PS3. Sold the original Xbox and PS2 though. Can't have too much space taken up by nostalgia.
Edited by: "Zuulan" 19th Apr

Banned

Thing is, let us say a PS1 Classic was to be made.... do you go the full nostalgia route and have the collection be of the first entries for key titles or do you forgo those for the better sequels? For example, Tekken is a big part of the PS1 but I think people would much prefer the fantastic T3 to be on the collection than the first two. You could have all three, but then that means two extra spots taken up that could have been used for something else. Same for Wipeout. 2097 (or even 3) is what's best but the nostalgia starts at the first one (then again, it could be argued it was 2097 that had most of the nostalgic capital).
Edited by: "neilanderton1" 19th Apr

Still have my original snes, bought on release day with super mario world. Still works perfectly well, these things were bomb proof. I wonder if the new one will still be going strong 20+ yrs later

Zuulan

Why, because Gumtree pre-shrink them before sending them out?I've … Why, because Gumtree pre-shrink them before sending them out?I've actually still got an original PlayStation, PSP, SNES, N64, Wii and a Phat PS3. Sold the original Xbox and PS2 though. Can't have too much space taken up by nostalgia.

I have a bunch of consoles to, so i don't get why you would want a mini, i guess games would load faster and built in HDMI but you would be limited to a number of games.

badger2609

Still have my original snes, bought on release day with super mario … Still have my original snes, bought on release day with super mario world. Still works perfectly well, these things were bomb proof. I wonder if the new one will still be going strong 20+ yrs later

Think lazers and mechanical parts (hdd) just don't stand the test of time.
Old consoles had none of these and just keep going, that and things just seemed to be so better built back in the day.
Plus I think it's something to do with how things are soldered these days.

Edited by: "geebeegooner" 19th Apr

neilanderton1

Thing is, let us say a PS1 Classic was to be made.... do you go the full … Thing is, let us say a PS1 Classic was to be made.... do you go the full nostalgia route and have the collection be of the first entries for key titles or do you forgo those for the better sequels? For example, Tekken is a big part of the PS1 but I think people would much prefer the fantastic T3 to be on the collection than the first two. You could have all three, but then that means two extra spots taken up that could have been used for something else. Same for Wipeout. 2097 (or even 3) is what's best but the nostalgia starts at the first one (then again, it could be argued it was 2097 that had most of the nostalgic capital).

So long as it had Parappa the Rapper I would buy it.

geebeegooner

Think lazers and mechanical parts (hdd) just don't stand the test of … Think lazers and mechanical parts (hdd) just don't stand the test of time.Old consoles had none of these and just keep going, that and things just seemed to be so better built back in the day.Plus I think it's something to do with how things are soldered these days.

The soldering is more linked to the power requirements of modern consoles and the heat which affected them (RLOD, YLOD). Older consoles were in single or low double digit wattage requirements

Just why? From their point of view, money, obviously, but why would anyone buy these?

I can't wait to get a mini N 64

I would buy this for F-Zero and Mario Kart alone - If it was priced right

An N64 mini would be cool but I still have mine gathering dust in the spare room, if I ever want to play.

deeky

Just why? From their point of view, money, obviously, but why would … Just why? From their point of view, money, obviously, but why would anyone buy these?

Because retro gaming is popular nowadays

http://i.imgur.com/H7Iw7y7.gif

I bought the mini nes just as a collectors item, still haven't opened it but the Mini Snes will be bought,opened and played, hope the game selection is good.

dtovey89

Because retro gaming is popular nowadays

I'm not sure it actually is you know. I think people might think it is, and get all nostalgic, but the reality is that the games are just crap compared to today's games. And as for the retro consoles, they are 10 a penny on car boots. Why pay £1/200 for new, miniature versions? It's just a money-grabbing pi55-take.

deeky

I'm not sure it actually is you know. I think people might think it is, … I'm not sure it actually is you know. I think people might think it is, and get all nostalgic, but the reality is that the games are just crap compared to today's games. And as for the retro consoles, they are 10 a penny on car boots. Why pay £1/200 for new, miniature versions? It's just a money-grabbing pi55-take.

whenever there is a raspberry pi thread you get people banging on about retropie etc so i think quite a few set them up and or buy these machines
actual playing is different though as they tend to be a bit crap, its more the memory that is good

deeky

I'm not sure it actually is you know. I think people might think it is, … I'm not sure it actually is you know. I think people might think it is, and get all nostalgic, but the reality is that the games are just crap compared to today's games. And as for the retro consoles, they are 10 a penny on car boots. Why pay £1/200 for new, miniature versions? It's just a money-grabbing pi55-take.

Retro consoles are "10 a penny"?

Where have you got that information from?
This offers a small version of a world famous console with hdmi output and the ability to be modded with relative ease. Retro games aren't crap compared to today's standard. In fact many offer far superior gameplay.

I would love a Mini Sega Saturn but I have the feeling I would be the only one! X)

dtovey89

Retro consoles are "10 a penny"?Where have you got that information … Retro consoles are "10 a penny"?Where have you got that information from?This offers a small version of a world famous console with hdmi output and the ability to be modded with relative ease. Retro games aren't crap compared to today's standard. In fact many offer far superior gameplay.

I see Megadrives, SNESs and old Nintendo consoles on a regular basis, in fact, I've got a boxed megadrive under my stairs that I paid £20 for a few months ago from a car boot sale.
I agree that there are some good games, the Mario games in particular, but mostly, I think people look at the past with rose-tinted glasses. One of my favourite games of all time was Secret of Mana on the SNES, and a few months ago I got all broody after finishing Bloodborne and downloaded it to play on an emulator. I fired it up, all excited - it was dire X)
The reality is that a few games aside, we kid ourselves about how good retro games are/were.

All IMO, of course

deeky

I see Megadrives, SNESs and old Nintendo consoles on a regular basis, in … I see Megadrives, SNESs and old Nintendo consoles on a regular basis, in fact, I've got a boxed megadrive under my stairs that I paid £20 for a few months ago from a car boot sale. I agree that there are some good games, the Mario games in particular, but mostly, I think people look at the past with rose-tinted glasses. One of my favourite games of all time was Secret of Mana on the SNES, and a few months ago I got all broody after finishing Bloodborne and downloaded it to play on an emulator. I fired it up, all excited - it was dire X)The reality is that a few games aside, we kid ourselves about how good retro games are/were.All IMO, of course

You're right - it is your opinion.
But the vast majority would disagree with you.

dtovey89

You're right - it is your opinion.But the vast majority would disagree … You're right - it is your opinion.But the vast majority would disagree with you.

You reckon? I'll have to have a look through all the retro gaming threads on here and see what they say.

brilly

whenever there is a raspberry pi thread you get people banging on about … whenever there is a raspberry pi thread you get people banging on about retropie etc so i think quite a few set them up and or buy these machinesactual playing is different though as they tend to be a bit crap, its more the memory that is good

My point exactly.

deeky

You reckon? I'll have to have a look through all the retro gaming threads … You reckon? I'll have to have a look through all the retro gaming threads on here and see what they say.

I wouldn't restrict yourself to just here.

It depends on how far you go back. Yes, maybe 70s up to late 80s was poor.
But there are classics in the late 80s all the way up to early noughties that hold up and better gameplay/storytelling in today's games.

Go play Chrono Trigger.

dtovey89

I wouldn't restrict yourself to just here.It depends on how far you go … I wouldn't restrict yourself to just here.It depends on how far you go back. Yes, maybe 70s up to late 80s was poor.But there are classics in the late 80s all the way up to early noughties that hold up and better gameplay/storytelling in today's games.Go play Chrono Trigger.

I know what a good game Chrono Trigger is/was. Same as the 16bit versions of FF. But it was good by 1995 standards. How many people go back to them and actually play them through? I'd wager not many.

deeky

I know what a good game Chrono Trigger is/was. Same as the 16bit versions … I know what a good game Chrono Trigger is/was. Same as the 16bit versions of FF. But it was good by 1995 standards. How many people go back to them and actually play them through? I'd wager not many.

What are you basing that on? If it's purely graphics then you argument is lacking in scope.

Chrono Trigger has a better storyline and gameplay than the vast majority of games in that category regardless of what era they came out in.

dtovey89

What are you basing that on? If it's purely graphics then you argument is … What are you basing that on? If it's purely graphics then you argument is lacking in scope.Chrono Trigger has a better storyline and gameplay than the vast majority of games in that category regardless of what era they came out in.

What am I basing what on? If you think that after 30 years gaming I base my opinions purely on graphics, then you do me a grave dis-service X)

I ask you this, and be honest please - when did you last go back and play a 25 year old game to completion?

deeky

What am I basing what on? If you think that after 30 years gaming I base … What am I basing what on? If you think that after 30 years gaming I base my opinions purely on graphics, then you do me a grave dis-service X)I ask you this, and be honest please - when did you last go back and play a 25 year old game to completion?

25 year old game?
Final Fantasy VI came out in 1994 and I completed that a few years ago. Pretty close to 25 years.
Pokémon Red last year. That came out in 1996.
Crash Bandicoot this year. 1996
Tekken came out in 1994. This month

I'm only in my late 20s so don't have as many years on the clock as you.

deeky

[I ask you this, and be honest please - when did you last go back and … [I ask you this, and be honest please - when did you last go back and play a 25 year old game to completion?

Not finished it yet, but 'The Dragons Trap' came out this week. It's a 27 year old game. They've changed the graphics, but it's the same game that came out on the Master System in 1989. It's reviewing well too...
Edited by: "Krooner" 19th Apr

dtovey89

25 year old game?Final Fantasy VI came out in 1994 and I completed that a … 25 year old game?Final Fantasy VI came out in 1994 and I completed that a few years ago. Pretty close to 25 years.Pokémon Red last year. That came out in 1996.Crash Bandicoot this year. 1996Tekken came out in 1994. This monthI'm only in my late 20s so don't have as many years on the clock as you.

Fair enough but as you're so young (:() they were probably the first time you played them? That's a different scenario to what I'm referring to, which is going back and playing games they enjoyed 25 years ago, and being sorely disappointed.

Unless you played FFIV when you were about 2

Sure, there are retro gamers who do actually play and enjoy retro games, but I'd bet that they are in the minority, not me who says they are over-rated by some.

Edited by: "deeky" 19th Apr

Some retro games stand up. Most don't. Even the ones we remember fondly.

Disappointed and dust is what these mini consoles bring.

Buying a few classics on a virtual console, or even picking up and original console with the few games you do actually want and like is a far better bet...

bit like the collections they used to release on ps3/xbox 360 - you'd get the sega one and play the odd game and realise it wasn't the monster and addictive fun you remember.

Sensible soccer is a good example... brilliant game, one of my faves of all time... going back and playing it now (which I do now and then) the magic isn't the same.

N64 onwards maybe is a slightly different story as some of those games actually still stand up to newer titles.

Unfortunately the games of my childhood were fun at the time but just aren't as deep, fun or addictive as they were at the time - that's progress, technology and choice for you

deeky

Fair enough but as you're so young (:() they were probably the first time … Fair enough but as you're so young (:() they were probably the first time you played them? That's a different scenario to what I'm referring to, which is going back and playing games they enjoyed 25 years ago, and being sorely disappointed.Unless you played FFIV when you were about 2 :pSure, there are retro gamers who do actually play and enjoy retro games, but I'd bet that they are in the minority, not me who says they are over-rated by some.

people that say graphics dont matter are delusional
you have a choice between:
game with crap graphics or
the exact same game with great graphics
which do you like better?
graphics do have a big effect and not just that but improved game mechanics/animations etc
its about expectations/potential as well
in the olden days they were the best they could do all round - WOW THOSE SPRITES HAVE 2 COLOURS AMAZING!!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
    2. Biscuit addiction1231
    3. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325
    4. Easyjet - book now or wait?813

See more discussions