Eurostar to launch London-Amsterdam direct service in April

Found 9th Feb
theguardian.com/bus…ril

Eurostar direct rail services between London and Amsterdam will begin on 4 April, the company has announced, in an eagerly awaited move expected to spark a price war with airlines.

Tickets for the two daily trains – starting from £35 one way – will go on sale on 20 February. The services will allow passengers to travel from St Pancras station in central London direct to the Netherlands in three to four hours.

More than 4 million passengers a year fly between London and Amsterdam, making it one of Europe’s busiest air routes as the Netherlands grows in popularity as a key business and tourism hub.

The cross-Channel rail operator is set to challenge established airlines on the route, including British Airways, easyJet and Ryanair. It will target potential converts by saying a London-Amsterdam Eurostar journey emits 80% less carbonthan the equivalent flight.
Community Updates
MiscTravel
Top comments
Just in time for the mass emirgration to Europe.
21 Comments
Interesting idea
Thanks. At last. Changing at Midi was a real bore.
Barney's here i come.
Will the train be a steam (a smoking) train on the return trip?
I'd rather fly from LCY in a third of the time for less than double the price...
Predikuesi7 h, 17 m ago

so when are you moving?
eset1234510 h, 27 m ago

so when are you moving?

Why would I? I’m am happy where I am.
On the way back you will have to disembark in Brussels and do immigration until the immigration desks have been installed in Amsterdam. That will probably add 1-2 hours to the journey back to uk.
ccnp18 h, 27 m ago

Thanks. At last. Changing at Midi was a real bore.

You will still have to change on the return journey until next year though by the looks of it, just the outbound will be direct for now
m5rcc14 h, 12 m ago

I'd rather fly from LCY in a third of the time for less than double the …I'd rather fly from LCY in a third of the time for less than double the price...

So you can get through check in, security and passport control both ends plus the flight time in an hour?

Less than double the price. Lol
Edited by: "chocci" 10th Feb
chocci2 m ago

So you can get through check in, security and passport control both ends …So you can get through check in, security and passport control both ends plus the flight time in an hour?Less than double the price. Lol

I can get from airport entrance to plane seat at LCY in under 20 minutes. I can also fly to AMS for under £75. So yes - why should I sit on a train for at least 200 minutes?
m5rcc1 h, 47 m ago

I can get from airport entrance to plane seat at LCY in under 20 minutes. …I can get from airport entrance to plane seat at LCY in under 20 minutes. I can also fly to AMS for under £75. So yes - why should I sit on a train for at least 200 minutes?

add on taxi-ing plus passport control the other end and you're still looking at around 120-140 minutes and thats if it all goes perfectly
Edited by: "chocci" 10th Feb
chocci1 m ago

add on taxi-ing plus passport control the other end and you're still …add on taxi-ing plus passport control the other end and you're still looking at around 120-140 minutes

Which is still quicker than taking the train, not forgetting that the return trip from AMS will require you to disembark in Brussels and conduct immigration there.
m5rcc8 m ago

Which is still quicker than taking the train, not forgetting that the …Which is still quicker than taking the train, not forgetting that the return trip from AMS will require you to disembark in Brussels and conduct immigration there.

quicker, yes; but not a third of the time
chocci1 m ago

quicker, yes; but not a third of the time

In terms of travel time, it is. Less so in fact: 55mins vs 200mins. No contest there.
Predikuesi9th Feb

Cheap one way tickets?

Are there special discounts for those who can't spell?

m5rcc1 h, 33 m ago

In terms of travel time, it is. Less so in fact: 55mins vs 200mins. No …In terms of travel time, it is. Less so in fact: 55mins vs 200mins. No contest there.

oh dear

33236980-h1KQp.jpg
chocci12 m ago

oh dear[Image]

I'm not clutching at straws. I just value my time.
Predikuesi53 m ago

Are you referring to someone else's comment or on the wrong thread?

I'm guessing they are referring to your spelling of emigration
londonlad1952 m ago

I'm guessing they are referring to your spelling of emigration

Now I'll have to watch for Dingls to slip up

Oh wait. hotukdeals.com/com…057

"it did expire on Sunday, but that's nothign to do with me or my deal."

Looks like Dingls will buying the special discounted ticket along with me
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 10th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions