Evans Halshaw Haggling

Found 25th May 2017
Has anyone had any recent experience of haggling with evens halshaw on a used car? My experience is that they insist the prices are non-negotiable and let you leave without purchasing.
Community Updates
AskVans
23 Comments
We have been to a few of the main dealers in the last few weeks and I have also spoke to them via email and webchats it's really wound me up as they have all used the same line, our cars are competitively priced. One offered a small discount and despite a few calls from him no further discounts came. I told everyone I wouldn't pay the screen price who ever has but so far nothing to show for it.

Now if you were wanting finance or lease then they will fall over themselves to get your business I think it's just a case of we will eventually sell it on finance so don't need to fight for the business.
Edited by: "eslick" 25th May 2017
Mostly they don't negotiate prices. I have made a try but they usually had answer, our prices are already low as compare to our competitors.
All you can do is ask if they say no you've lost nothing
Evans Halshaw won't reduce their prices, no chance of that happening. I've tried numerous times over the years but they always insist that their cars are competitively priced and that they do a benchmark on all similar spec'd cars around the area, bla bla bla.
Recent experience, they didn't reduce the price of the car I was interested in. However they did cover the transportation costs of the car - it was up north and I really didn't fancy the travel. However if you introduce part exchange into the equation you may get some more value added on to your part ex. That's how I got an extra couple of hundred pounds. I just told the guy when asked what so and so offered and he then did the 'check with manager' thing before he agreed to 'match'. Good luck
androidavis

Recent experience, they didn't reduce the price of the car I was … Recent experience, they didn't reduce the price of the car I was interested in. However they did cover the transportation costs of the car - it was up north and I really didn't fancy the travel. However if you introduce part exchange into the equation you may get some more value added on to your part ex. That's how I got an extra couple of hundred pounds. I just told the guy when asked what so and so offered and he then did the 'check with manager' thing before he agreed to 'match'. Good luck

They only cover transportation costs of your car (transferring from one branch to another branch closer to you) if the car has been on sale for an extended period of time.

If it's just come up for sale then they won't do it, however, if it's been on sale for around a month/28 days, then they will do it. When you go on their website, you'll see some cars that have the 'MOVE CLOSER' icon on them in purple. They're the ones that they will transfer. It's their company policy, not an added extra. If they make it appear they're doing you a favour then they're talking boll*x.
Bought a used car a few months ago from motorpoint - they wouldn't negotiate but were the cheapest screen priced cars by a long way.

Whilst looking for the car I visited 3 different Evans Halshaw branches and every one of them looked like a jumble sale - cars crammed onto the lot with no sense or logic to how they were arranged. The branches were shabby too - did not inspire confidence. I had one test drive with them but the car had not been properly prepared. They also wanted an additional non negotiable £125 (if I remember the amount correctly) to hpi check the car - i.e. for me to pay that the car was OK for them to sell! I did walk away as I did not see a car I liked but was given that they would negotiate the screen price had I returned. I also remember the warranty Evans Halshaw offered was very basic and not comparable to other dealers. In summary it would have to be a cracking deal for me to consider buying a car at Evans Halshaw!
Always found Arnold Clark willing to budge on price and haven't paid sticker price before also found a car on own site 500 cheaper and got money off that so worth trying them x
gsj87

They only cover transportation costs of your car (transferring from one … They only cover transportation costs of your car (transferring from one branch to another branch closer to you) if the car has been on sale for an extended period of time. If it's just come up for sale then they won't do it, however, if it's been on sale for around a month/28 days, then they will do it. When you go on their website, you'll see some cars that have the 'MOVE CLOSER' icon on them in purple. They're the ones that they will transfer. It's their company policy, not an added extra. If they make it appear they're doing you a favour then they're talking boll*x.

That's ok I just asked at the time. They initially said it will cost £55 or something like that to move the car, but if I bought it they wouldn't charge me. I was a bit shy about paying that to view the car if it turned out something I wasn't happy about. We spoke again later and he just said that there will be no charge as long as I at least show up and see it. They were just trying to avoid the cost and wasted time or transporting it and the potential customer didn't show. If you speak sensibly you may get something sensible back you nether know
Same haggling as any other dealer. I haggled on my cost to change, finance rate, finance fee and extras.

Just walk away if you are not happy, if there's a deal to be had they'll get in touch.

They don't negotiate at all! All you can get it free extras thrown in
eslick

We have been to a few of the main dealers in the last few weeks and I … We have been to a few of the main dealers in the last few weeks and I have also spoke to them via email and webchats it's really wound me up as they have all used the same line, our cars are competitively priced. One offered a small discount and despite a few calls from him no further discounts came. I told everyone I wouldn't pay the screen price who ever has but so far nothing to show for it. Now if you were wanting finance or lease then they will fall over themselves to get your business I think it's just a case of we will eventually sell it on finance so don't need to fight for the business.

If they will drop the price to encourage you to take the car on finance (which they might do to get the commission), just take the deal then call the finance company the next day to withdraw from the HP / PCP- It'll just cost 2 days interest :o)
Are you trading in? We bought this week from EH & we were walking away as balance to change was way over our budget. Then after a few declined offers our cars trade in price increased by £1000. Just need to stand firm, guy asked me where I thought he could shave £1800 off the deal.....I told him that's your job to figure that out not mine. I was amazed that there was £1000 increase from original offer. Keep trying!!
itsdavidjones1984

They don't negotiate at all! All you can get it free extras thrown in

Agreed with this. They insist on at least £50 to HPI check the car. They will throw in freebies but no price reduction.

If the sale price ends with a 1 or 2, there is no way you will get a cash discount. The final digit is the clue.
I'd never buy anything from this company, had a bad experience which knocked me away for life and was really disgusted.
The story goes, I was after a little car for my mam and EH had a little Nissan Micra.
Got there and when I looked through the service book it had never been serviced in 6 years, the salesman said "But we've just spent £1000 on it and its now serviced", I tried to explain no car shouldn't be serviced for that length of time and he started with a horrible attitude saying "Well if you don't want it somebody else will!", he walked away and turned round saying "You'll not get anything even half decent for what you want to pay". I went to a car dealer round the corner and bagged a lovely little Suzuki Swift for her which shes had 18months with no issues (touch wood)
Some people don't like haggling so at least this way you know where you stand. The choice is yours.
tallpete33

Some people don't like haggling so at least this way you know where you … Some people don't like haggling so at least this way you know where you stand. The choice is yours.

That's true, but I wanted to confirm that was the case.
tallpete33

Some people don't like haggling so at least this way you know where you … Some people don't like haggling so at least this way you know where you stand. The choice is yours.

but when did it change, ever since there was a used car market you never paid the screen price, now they expect you to ok for people who have never bought a car before but as I told one salesman, it doesn't sit right with me and so I walked away.
eslick

but when did it change, ever since there was a used car market you never … but when did it change, ever since there was a used car market you never paid the screen price, now they expect you to ok for people who have never bought a car before but as I told one salesman, it doesn't sit right with me and so I walked away.

"The choice is yours"
tallpete33

"The choice is yours"

it might not be a choice though that's why the question when did it change, its not just EH but about 5 or more VW dealers, with AC offered £50 off as the maximum. It was actually a thousand cheaper to buy a new Seat Leon rather than a used one as they wouldn't discount.
Take a finance deal, then pay it off. No?
Car check fee is something I didn't pay Evans Halshaw either. However I already knew of this move they play on you and was prepared.
They do a hpi check, as they a required to do anyway as a business, like they factor in wages, heating, property rent etc, to know whether it's a car they can legally put on the market. But they don't merely reclaim their hpi check fee from the eventual buyer, (note the hpi checking company they use charge them a fraction of the retail price of a hpi check the ordinary public use), no they actually say to the buyer it costs x-amount of pounds - which mysteriously is many times more than it would cost the buyer to do their own retail priced hpi check on the car.

Sorry about this long winded boring bit...
I may have been extremely lucky but this is how I did it - it may also work for you. Buy a hpi check service - as I was looking for a car I chose the hpicheck.com 3 car checks offer which is better value, it also goes further than some checks by other well know companies and guarantee that pays out if it gets it wrong and you are stung. During discussions at the desk over an nice coffee and chit chat, ask the employee you are dealing with the read out registration number of the car and type it into your hpi checker and hit 'enter'. Then let the know rep what you are doing and have a chit chat about this great 'but pricey' hpi check you are using and how it's the only one of the market that offers a check on if the car appears to be cloned and guarantees to pay out the cost of the vehicle if it happens to you. Say how the checks used by the motor trade are good Experian and such like companies but which don't yet offer this level of check and crucially a guarantee against it. All interesting chit chat about how it's worth the extra cost to what Evan halshaw and the other deals use over, change subject and carry on with the rep as usual. When it comes to agreeing the price and then going through it at the end with the rep, he will then probably do the car check speech and how much it costs. That's when you remind him of the more comprehensive check you have already done, which covers the same thing, and some important additional stuff their hpi check doesn't cover, so as you've bought it already bought it you won't need to buy it twice. It was that easy. And I guess unless they think you are a mug, I can't think of anything the rep would have been able to say to persuade me why I needed two car checks.
I got £250 off the price of the car I bought, and it was a decent price to start with. Any dealer trying to charge you a HPI fee is a criminal - they are legally obliged to not sell you a car with finance outstanding.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants