evening. Anybody please offer some advice on Plex

Dell PowerEdge CS24-NV7 Twin Quad Core. Benchmark is 4263 for 1 processor. But has 2 so 8500 run 4 1080p transcoding

Would this run a plex server ok.?

Thanks Ant

11 Comments

I reckon it should be. What device would it be streaming too? I used to run a Plex server on a Raspberry Pi and stream content to Chromecasts around the house. Since it didn't need to do any transcoding for it to play on the Chromecasts it ran really well.

Your quoted number seems to be the passmark score for a dual CPU system already:
cpubenchmark.net/cpu…t=2

It's a pretty ancient setup so I wouldn't buy such a thing, but if you're getting given it then it may be worth a try.

4 streams at once might be a bit challenging though, especially if they're more demanding codecs like HEVC.

Original Poster

The system has 2 processor in it. So the pass mark would double. It's £65 on ebay. But it's just for plex nothing else

Original Poster

I've got a qnap 178 running plex at the moment. It just hasn't got the power to push content quick enough to the devices around the house. It runs 4 direct fine. But I would like 4 transcoding just incase I'm out. And 2 kids want to pick and friends can watch also

Original Poster

Sorry endlesswaves your correct. I misread that. I won't bother oO

OP if you might be interested I've got a Dell Poweredge 2600 server with Dual Xeon processors, all drive mounts and components bar RAM are in it and it's working fine. So all you need to complete it is the drives and ram and OS.

You're welcome to it if you want it. Free to collect (Essex) or arrange your own courier to pick it up for you (beware this monster weighs about 40kg on it's own). If you're interested and want more details I can put up a FS thread.

No idea how it compares performance wise to their rackmounts as it's a tower server and I've never got the Dell naming conventions with Servers anyway. However, I want rid of it and before I mess about putting it on ebay/taking it to the local recycling centre I thought I'd offer it here (I've got a load of old servers and hardware to be got rid of ATM).

Edited by: "Astec123" 1st Feb

wildchild121007

The system has 2 processor in it. So the pass mark would double. It's … The system has 2 processor in it. So the pass mark would double. It's £65 on ebay. But it's just for plex nothing else

I may be wrong, but I think software needs to be written to take advantage of multiple CPU's, same as software needs to be written to take advantage of multiple threads in a CPU. Might be worth checking that Plex can use both.

It's like putting two engines in a car, it won't go any quicker if only one of them is actually doing the driving X)

Edit - Seems like it can use more than one CPU: reddit.com/r/P…294

Edited by: "redarrowrules" 1st Feb

Original Poster

Astec123 that would be great thanks. If you could pm me the specs I'll just check.

wildchild121007

Astec123 that would be great thanks. If you could pm me the specs I'll … Astec123 that would be great thanks. If you could pm me the specs I'll just check.

That would be against the rules of trying to flog stuff on HUKD so I'll post the specs, if you're still interested let me know and I can set up a proper FS/FT thread (I will add this offer applies to anyone as I want this monster out of my way to make way for new hardware).

It's a single chip Xeon (I believe without powering it up that it's a 2.46 Xeon)
It has 4x512mb of RAM aka 2GB (I hadn't realised it had any left in it but if you want the machine you can have that)
6 drive bays
Dual 730W PSUs
One original security lock key
Usual other gubbins these come with SCSI cards, NIC card, DVD drive etc
Also has a Zip drive for some reason

Alternatively I've also just noticed I've still got a HP Proliant ML350 G5 (among some other hardware I'll be getting rid of in due course).

Single Xeon E5420 quad core (I believe)
5GB of RAM 2x2gb + 2x512mb
Dual PSU's
No security keys but fully unlocked and accessible
Usual innards
Drive tray is present but missing 3 of the 8 brackets (a couple of quid each on ebay to add the missing ones)

Edited by: "Astec123" 2nd Feb

Original Poster

Astec123. Sorry looking at the specs it wouldn't be fast enough to handle the amount of transcoding I would need. Thanks again. Would anybody else like to take up the offer

Get a now tv box n buy from
Freddieplex
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    2. Which Camera?!!!22
    3. Kodi - £ Sports Recommendations1014
    4. Sky or Virgin?1418

See more discussions