ever used US website to put something in your basket before paying on UK site, taking advantage of foreign price

Posted 21st Jan
Hi,
Long shot here....has anyone had experience of this?

2 days ago, I was trying to buy some ear-buds from a leading manufacturer and found myself putting a pair into my basket, but when trying to pay i realised i was on their US site (slightly gobsmacked at how much less they get to pay for their tech - 200USD, which is about £154, instead of £190).
so, I opened up their UK site and repeated the start of the purchase.
When i got to my basket, i found the pair of buds i had chosen on the US site were still there, for £154, rather than £190!!!
These were an identical pair, but because the US 'version' gets issued with a different SKU, the website was recognising them as a different product to the UK 'version' and at a different price.
I went ahead with the purchase of the US 'version' of the buds for a massive £35 off the RRP...
All confirmation emails have come through as normal, all confirming £154.
I did wonder that ordering the US SKU product might mean it gets posted from the US and i'll end up paying customs...but i did order from the UK site, so i'm assuming they'll just think it's an admin error and just post them without much thought..

Is this a practice that has worked for anyone else?? populating baskets on foreign websites where prices are lower, then migrating to the domestic (UK) site to take advantage and get domestic delivery..?
Community Updates

Groups

10 Comments
Eh what site did u use
What about customs etc
Gollywood21/01/2020 22:54

What about customs etc

like i said, I'm assuming the peeps in the UK delivery office will just register it as an admin issue and post a UK version from the UK... but this is why i'm posting, as i have never done this before, just wondered if anyone had..?
...plus it's basically a mistake in their website, allowing me to order the wrong product form the UK site, so i doubt i'd be liable for any charges...
Gollywood21/01/2020 22:54

What about customs etc

Plus the prices on the US sites don’t include taxes, that are added on in checkout as they vary for each state (US prices are usually not as cheap compared to ours as people think, just our tax is 20%) So if they do send then I’d keep that one to yourself as you probably won’t be able to do it again if they cotton on when hundreds from here do it
If items are sent from outside the EU (currently) then you will be liable for charges no matter which site you ordered them from. Remember you used the US stock code.
Edited by: "choccie32" 23rd Jan
Josh_Margarson21/01/2020 23:01

like i said, I'm assuming the peeps in the UK delivery office will just …like i said, I'm assuming the peeps in the UK delivery office will just register it as an admin issue and post a UK version from the UK... but this is why i'm posting, as i have never done this before, just wondered if anyone had..?

That's a very big assumption.
If you’re lucky, they’ll send them from the UK. If not, you’ll get the US version with a 90 day warranty, 20% vat added at the border and an additional £25 handling fee.

Hopefully you’re lucky.
All sounds reasonabl... I'll wait and see what arrives..the product doesn't get released for another 2 weeks... I'll update with what happens..
£154 +20% =??? Finish school!"
Customs charges was hit and miss few years back but seems to be like nothing getting through the net now. The only time I would suggest to buy from outside Europe is if Item is not available in this country or is significantly cheaper that even if i add customs on it, it will still be cheaper than buying it here.

For example
I bought a Watch from Japan which retails here for approx £600+ but i managed to pay £270 If i add 20% + 5% import fees, it was still cheaper so proceeded with purchase and by fluke/luck when it was delivered there was nothing to pay.

I purchased some glasses from USA for £220 this time hoping i wouldn't get charged but it did.

There are some purchases you can make via ebay or Amazon which will already cover import/customs fees etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants