Everything you need to know about Google Stadia

Posted 5th Nov
A simple introduction to Stadia would read - a game streaming service from Google.

But with two week's until launch I think it's about time we talked specifics. Google Stadia will begin shipping on November 19th and is Google's first major venture into the world of gaming. If I'm being completely honest, I have to say that Stadia looks impressive - 4K game streaming with minimum requirements. A half decent internet connection and a purchase Google's Stadia controller and you're all but good to go - in short, no console will be required.

(As we proceed, please let us forget OnLive).

3324879.jpg
How will Google Stadia work?

Google Stadia is a cloud streaming game service. It doesn't require a console to play any of the games available, simply allowing you to stream to TVs (with Chromecast Ultra), desktop computers, laptops and Google Pixel devices (3 or 3a).

Key Google Stadia features will include:

• 4K game streaming
  • A catalogue of games available to play (see below)
  • No downloads
  • No game updates

How much will Google Stadia cost?

Google Stadia will launch on November 19th with a Premiere Edition that will include a Stadia controller, 3 months Stadia Pro and a Chromecast Ultra (required to use Stadia on a TV) at £119.

The Pro service subscription will cost £8.99/mo (3 month sub is included in the Premiere Edition) and will include:

• Up to 4K resolution
  • 60 FPS frame rate
  • 5.1 surround sound
  • The ability to purchase games whenever you want
  • Access to regular releases of free games, including Destiny 2: The Collection
  • Exclusive discounts on select game purchases

Later in 2020 a free, more basic subscription will be available for Stadia (Stadia Base), the entry level subscription won't include 4K streaming, Google Stadia Specs, the free games available with the Pro service or the ability to broadcast 5.1 surround sound.

You might be able to save on the base price as well, depending on where and when you buy the Stadia. If you are looking for a cheap Google Stadia, then check out the hotukdeals Google Stadia group page, where we collect all the best Google Stadia deals for you!

Stadia Base

• Up to 1080p resolution
  • A frame rate of 60 frames per second
  • Stereo sound
  • The ability to buy games anytime

Will I require a fast internet connection?

Google have previously announced that Google Stadia isn't too demanding on your internet connection. In fact, a steady 35mbps will get your Stadia experience up and running at their best settings, 4K video at 60fps with HDR capabilities. If your intention is to subscribe to Stadia's Base package, you want to be accommodating a speed of 20mbps.

3324879.jpg

What games are available with Google Stadia?

Subscribers to Stadia Pro will receive Destiny 2: The Collection (including the Shadowkeep expansion) when the service goes live. In an effort to bulk out their Stadia catalogue, Google have teamed up with some major game publishers (including Ubisoft and Bethesda) with some massive titles that will be available at launch (or soon after, dependant on release dates).

The Google Stadia games confirmed so far are:
  • Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
  • Attack on Titan 2
  • Baldur’s Gate III
  • Borderlands 3
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Darksiders Genesis
  • Destiny 2
  • Destroy All Humans
  • Doom
  • Doom Eternal
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
  • Farming Simulator 19
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Football Manager 2020
  • Get Packed
  • GRID
  • GYLT
  • Just Dance 2020
  • Kine
  • Marvel’s The Avengers game
  • Metro Exodus
  • Monster Energy Supercross 3
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • NBA 2K
  • Orcs Must Die 3
  • Power Rangers
  • Rage 2
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Superhot
  • The Crew 2
  • The Elder Scrolls Online
  • Thumper
  • Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint
  • Tom Clancy’s The Division 2
  • Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Trials Rising
  • Watch Dogs: Legion
  • Windjammers 2
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood

I'd be interested to know who's interested in Google Stadia. Can you see it replacing your home console, and do you think the pricing is right?

[Check out all Google Stadia deals here]
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
It’s a complete scam. £119 upfront then £8.99 a month and on top of that you have to buy games at full price. There’s no exclusives or anything that could incentivise someone to buy this.
26 Comments
So it’s £119 then £8.99 a month?
DigitalKnight05/11/2019 16:43

So it’s £119 then £8.99 a month?

£119 for the Stadia controller, 3 months Stadia Pro and a Chromecast Ultra.

The Chromecast is required to play Stadia on a TV, without it you can still stream to all other compatible devices. The Pro subscription (£8.99 p/m) is the subscription for 4K streaming and 5.1 surround sound.

Next year a base package (free subscription) will launch as Stadia Base that doesn't require a subscription but only allows 1080p and stereo sound. I believe that a controller only purchase will become available at the same time.
Got it on pre-order, won’t be replacing either my PS4 or Xbox, purchasing it mainly to play games that aren’t available on either console - I’m thinking FM20 initially.
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 5th Nov
It’s a complete scam. £119 upfront then £8.99 a month and on top of that you have to buy games at full price. There’s no exclusives or anything that could incentivise someone to buy this.
Please people don't support this horrible company and their expansion into gaming. Imagine what the world will look like in 10 to 30 years time when Google has cornered every market and basically control every area of our lives.

This is the company that has a contract with the Pentagon to improve the accuracy of drone strikes. The company that works closely with the Chinese government to oppress its people. The company that reads our emails and harvests our personal information. This is only the beginning...
It looks awesome I hope very sell it
Over time it's going to end up costing significantly more than buying an actual console

£119 for the kit
£108 per year subscription

Then you have to bear in mind that they've said game pricing will be inline with current digital purchases from the likes of PSN. So £60 if you wanted COD:MW with no option to buy a cheaper physical copy at £45 and obviously unable to sell the game or/trade it in.

There's also the big question of performance. So far there's not a lot of real info out there other than some tests where the journalists said it was blurry in fast paced games like DOOM when you look around and wasn't hitting 60fps even at 1080p. Maybe the actual launch will be great but it's definitely not something i'd pre-order. Especially when you can regularly get a deal on a new PS4 for £190 and sell the game that comes with it for £40.
Zooicidal05/11/2019 17:09

Over time it's going to end up costing significantly more than buying an …Over time it's going to end up costing significantly more than buying an actual console£119 for the kit£108 per year subscriptionThen you have to bear in mind that they've said game pricing will be inline with current digital purchases from the likes of PSN. So £60 if you wanted COD:MW with no option to buy a cheaper physical copy at £45 and obviously unable to sell the game or/trade it in.There's also the big question of performance. So far there's not a lot of real info out there other than some tests where the journalists said it was blurry in fast paced games like DOOM when you look around and wasn't hitting 60fps even at 1080p. Maybe the actual launch will be great but it's definitely not something i'd pre-order. Especially when you can regularly get a deal on a new PS4 for £190 and sell the game that comes with it for £40.

For me personally, I like the idea of being able to play Football Manager 2020 on my large screen TV without having to purchase a Windows based laptop or PC or play stripped down mobile Nintendo variants of FM etc. It is what it is, I won't be using it to play demanding open world games when I have both a PS4 and Xbox sat under the TV.
That seems like poor value for money. Selection of games is also poor.
joeydeacon05/11/2019 16:51

Got it on pre-order, won’t be replacing either my PS4 or Xbox, purchasing i …Got it on pre-order, won’t be replacing either my PS4 or Xbox, purchasing it mainly to play games that aren’t available on either console - I’m thinking FM20 initially.

joeydeacon05/11/2019 17:19

For me personally, I like the idea of being able to play Football Manager …For me personally, I like the idea of being able to play Football Manager 2020 on my large screen TV without having to purchase a Windows based laptop or PC or play stripped down mobile Nintendo variants of FM etc. It is what it is, I won't be using it to play demanding open world games when I have both a PS4 and Xbox sat under the TV.

Football Manager is on Xbox Game Pass for PC with xCloud just around the corner. Also you can play PC games through your Xbox with the Wireless Display app.
Subscriptions is where profits lie which is why almost every service is moving to that business model. Even Deliveroo now offers a monthly subscription.
Worth pointing out that the controller is only wireless with a Chromecast Ultra at launch too. 9to5google.com/201…ss/

I’m watching with interest as I think it has potential, but Google does have a habit of killing off it’s own creations so I’m reluctant to invest at the moment.
bozo00705/11/2019 18:48

Subscriptions is where profits lie which is why almost every service is …Subscriptions is where profits lie which is why almost every service is moving to that business model. Even Deliveroo now offers a monthly subscription.

Subscriptions have been found to be very annoying to consumers so it might not be the future that was once thought.

As an example, pirating films+tv dropped quite low once Netflix appeared. Now that Amazon, Apple, Disney, HBO etc have jumped on board (with exclusive content), it has now risen quite a lot. Consumers want one subscription that covers everything and not multiple ones that they have to keep track of.
Surely the speed of light dictates that there will always be noticeable lag? Unless they find a way to use quantum entanglement.
Rubisco05/11/2019 19:14

Surely the speed of light dictates that there will always be noticeable …Surely the speed of light dictates that there will always be noticeable lag? Unless they find a way to use quantum entanglement.

Or subspace 🚀

38911200-GfzkV.jpg
  • The ability to purchase games whenever you want

you have to pay a subscription to buy games? how is that a viable market when no other purchasing options requires a fee to enter the store
Felicitous05/11/2019 20:09

The ability to purchase games whenever you wantyou have to pay a …The ability to purchase games whenever you wantyou have to pay a subscription to buy games? how is that a viable market when no other purchasing options requires a fee to enter the store

Nope. You can buy games when it comes out of beta on the free tier (1080p, stereo audio). The sub is only needed for the 4K option.
Biddy205/11/2019 20:13

Nope. You can buy games when it comes out of beta on the free tier (1080p, …Nope. You can buy games when it comes out of beta on the free tier (1080p, stereo audio). The sub is only needed for the 4K option.

then why is it listed with the other paid perks?
Felicitous05/11/2019 20:46

then why is it listed with the other paid perks?

No idea. It’s not a requirement to subscribe to Stadia to purchase games though. No company is that silly.
.Yoshi.05/11/2019 17:02

Please people don't support this horrible company and their expansion into …Please people don't support this horrible company and their expansion into gaming. Imagine what the world will look like in 10 to 30 years time when Google has cornered every market and basically control every area of our lives.This is the company that has a contract with the Pentagon to improve the accuracy of drone strikes. The company that works closely with the Chinese government to oppress its people. The company that reads our emails and harvests our personal information. This is only the beginning...

But they also get me to where I want to get to and store my pictures for free... win-win
Rubisco05/11/2019 19:14

Surely the speed of light dictates that there will always be noticeable …Surely the speed of light dictates that there will always be noticeable lag? Unless they find a way to use quantum entanglement.

I have played games on Nvidia's service and I can't notice any lag TBH - I guess modern games are built to cope with high lag quite well.
My son had an onlive subscription back in the day, thought it was a great idea and worked really well on even a basic laptop at the time, shame it didn't make it, advertising wasn't the best, Google will probably do a better job tho.
.Yoshi.05/11/2019 17:02

This is the company that has a contract with the Pentagon to improve the …This is the company that has a contract with the Pentagon to improve the accuracy of drone strikes.

Yep, the last thing you want is more accuracy in your drone strikes.....much better to say "close enough" and accept the collateral damage 😄
Im a lapsed gamer but the idea of cloud gaming really interest me. to be able to play console games on phones and tablets, yup, will actually get me back into gaming. really interested in xCloud because of xbox back catalogue.

I think the potential is fantastic, to play console games on any device. people just get the time anymore to sit infront of the tv and game as busy lives and so many competing services for ones entertainment time. personally for me, 1080p is fine but its all about the games.
Gormond06/11/2019 14:10

I have played games on Nvidia's service and I can't notice any lag TBH - I …I have played games on Nvidia's service and I can't notice any lag TBH - I guess modern games are built to cope with high lag quite well.

plus internet services have come on quite a bit. i had a trial of onlive and the potential was fantastic. play batman game and was impressed. with Google and microsoft behind this, i think it will succeed.

only thing is, if they want us to pay same prices as physical games, thats where the issue will be. at least with a physical game you have a tangible product that you can swap/sell.
Are people actually buying stadia? It's a complete rip off. You pay 8.99 per month to use it but you also have to buy the games which you never own aswell. What's the point? Also the choice of games are diabolical
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants