Groups

Ewwwwww... It stinks in here

So I spilt some coffee in my car two days ago. Not a lot, at most half of my small-ish flask.

Now it stinks (it was a very milky coffee). What can I do to get rid of the smell? I mopped up what I could as soon I could and I cleaned the stain that was on the seat today. Just need to get rid of the smell now.

I've read all sorts on the internet about coffee grounds and vinegar and oranges (not together of course!)... but any personal experiences would be appreciated

Thanks!

27 Comments

fabreeze

I did that too with tea, febreeze worked wonders.

Original Poster

do you guys mean the "fabric care" range?
    febreze.co.uk/fab…htm

I'm not quite sure where the smell is coming from so should I just spray the seats and the carpet liberally?

paperclip;8166716

do you guys mean the "fabric care" … do you guys mean the "fabric care" range?http://www.febreze.co.uk/fabric_care.htmI'm not quite sure where the smell is coming from so should I just spray the seats and the carpet liberally?

Yeah just put it everywhere, can only make it all smell better anyway. :thumbsup:

leather seats>>>

Original Poster

no no they're fabric

Banned

black gerbil1;8166723

leather seats>>>

leather carpet?:?

casparwhite;8166733

Yeah course for the BG1, I heard he has a leather boot as well...

paperclip;8166716

do you guys mean the "fabric care" … do you guys mean the "fabric care" range?http://www.febreze.co.uk/fabric_care.htmI'm not quite sure where the smell is coming from so should I just spray the seats and the carpet liberally?

Yes.. spray it everywhere, I haven't found any fabric yet that it has left a mark on.. great stuff

casparwhite;8166733

ldo

paperclip;8166716

Yes, I had to soak the seat where my cup leaked. Sorry about the spelling, it's obviously trickier than it sounds!

Use a wet/dry vacuum cleaner to suck it out, its the milk creating the bad smell.

Banned

black gerbil1;8166756

ldo

aiamu

Original Poster

guinnessdrinker;8166799

Use a wet/dry vacuum cleaner to suck it out, its the milk creating the … Use a wet/dry vacuum cleaner to suck it out, its the milk creating the bad smell.

don't have one :? or access to one

any experience with 1001 No Vac cleaning foam instead? It's meant to be a replacement for wet/dry vacs

try bicarbonate of soda - i was advised to use it in the house when we spilt milk and it worked - sprinkle it on - leave for about 30 mins and then hoover it up - worth a try...................

cant say i have, could always get the seats valeted professionally.

paperclip;8166831

don't have one :? or access to oneany experience with 1001 No Vac … don't have one :? or access to oneany experience with 1001 No Vac cleaning foam instead? It's meant to be a replacement for wet/dry vacs

the trouble with cleaning carpets is you could end up with a clean patch so you'll end up having to clean all of the carpets but maybe that's not such a big deal with a car :oops:

lucerysmum;8166874

try bicarbonate of soda - i was advised to use it in the house when we … try bicarbonate of soda - i was advised to use it in the house when we spilt milk and it worked - sprinkle it on - leave for about 30 mins and then hoover it up - worth a try...................

+1 good advice

do a good air freshner then sell the car i did this with mile years ago the smell just would not go even after a £35 clean

Banned

miles136;8167252

do a good air freshner then sell the car i did this with mile years ago … do a good air freshner then sell the car i did this with mile years ago the smell just would not go even after a £35 clean

:lol:

Original Poster

lucerysmum;8166874

try bicarbonate of soda - i was advised to use it in the house when we … try bicarbonate of soda - i was advised to use it in the house when we spilt milk and it worked - sprinkle it on - leave for about 30 mins and then hoover it up - worth a try...................

just sprinkle it on dry? and vacuum it up again?
    no need to mix it with anything?

Original Poster

miles136;8167252

do a good air freshner then sell the car i did this with mile years ago … do a good air freshner then sell the car i did this with mile years ago the smell just would not go even after a £35 clean

I have an unhealthy emotional attachment to my car so this isn't really an option :oops:

a normal clean and febreeze should do it for you, but on the same vibe as miles says,if you spill pure milk in your car its supposed to be extremely difficult to eliminate the smell.......the only way is for the car to be sealed and fumigated with some sort of de-odouriser:thinking:
    Read that somewhere but cant remember where

Original Poster

It wasn't a lot of coffee and so there was only a very very small amount of milk. hopefully it won't be as drastic as having to fumigate the car!

I read somewhere that leaving a cup full of vinegar should absorb some of the smell so I'm trying that overnight. But I'll get febreeze tomorrow too......

A pal of mine bought a car that stank, the guy he bought it from said that his wife was making him sell it because a large bottle of milk had emptied on the back seat... he bought it cheap to try and clean/wash/soak the smell out but it never went, in the end it cost him a new rear seat from the breakers.....

I had this problem - it was awful!
    I used two things that worked - the first was Vanish carpet cleaner and then the powder which you put down and then vaccuum up. Took a few days of using the products but now smells lovely.

Mine was with a spilt hot chocolate in the passengers footwell. Febreeze won't work as it won;t remove the milk - that is why you need the vanish and the odour removing 'shake 'n' vac' stuff which remove and soak up the milk and smell.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Unexpected house guest query (Ratatouille)12
      2. Ditched Sky1012
      3. Ap on iPhone ios1122
      4. Easyjet - book now or wait?712

See more discussions