Found 11th Jun 2011
I was just wanting to know if anybody knew if there was an error on the GCE Maths paper AS level taken on the 18th May ?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
15 Comments

Was that the one with the impossible question? It was in the newspaper 2 weeks ago.

Banned

There was a lot of errors, in fact every answer you gave was wrong

there was an error on c2 ocr I think.

ya IT WAS ADDED INSTEAD OF TAKING AWAY

Yeah - its been confirmed that everyone who sat the test will get a automatic A.

tvfan

Yeah - its been confirmed that everyone who sat the test will get a … Yeah - its been confirmed that everyone who sat the test will get a automatic A.

Not true.

tomwatts

Not true.

I thought everyone got A* anyway; well at least the ones who turn up

linuxlinks

I thought everyone got A* anyway; well at least the ones who turn up

Oh wait, I must have got confused then

tvfan

Oh wait, I must have got confused then

So far these A-Levels have seemed harder in some subjects than previous years, but biology especially seemed one hell of a lot easier (touch wood)

All this business about 'unanswerable' questions annoys me too - Everyone's in the same boat and the exam board will sort things out accordingly - I think a refund should be offered to all those who sat the papers though as you've paid for a service that hasn't been given to you

Original Poster

I hope everyone will be sorted out accordingly - but we still do not know how ? Some students may have been put off by not been able to answer the questions - when they expected that they should know ! They would certainly not presume that the paper had errors on it. These kids are worked dam hard towards their exams and deserve the respect of having correct exam papers given to them.

Of course, errors in exam papers are unacceptable and action needs to be taken to ensure they don't keep happening.

However, it's only the weak students who use the excuse of being put off by a question. Any student should know that if there is a question he/she cannot answer don't waste a lot of the exam time on it. Leave it and come back to it at the end. Most of the errors this year were pretty obvious - a bit similar to the Geography GCSE exam paper (1st year it was sat) where the map location given wasn't on the map.

Original Poster

You can only say they were obvious once you know they are there ! When students are in exam conditions - common sense can go out of the window.!! The pressure on our student to achieve is paramount and No I will not accept that this can only effect the 'weaker' students - that is certainly not fair at all, I have spoken to some very capable students that this has effected.

I had the maths paper the OP is on about, and tbh - I just had a brief look at it and knew straight up I was missing a vital piece of info - I just moved on!!

As the question had a progression running through it I just took a rough estimate of the value and worked it out without using complicated formulae, and made sure I completed the rest of the question using my rough answer
Edited by: "tomwatts" 11th Jun 2011

HEPY

You can only say they were obvious once you know they are there ! When … You can only say they were obvious once you know they are there ! When students are in exam conditions - common sense can go out of the window.!! The pressure on our student to achieve is paramount and No I will not accept that this can only effect the 'weaker' students - that is certainly not fair at all, I have spoken to some very capable students that this has effected.

No, I'm not saying this with the benefit of hindsight.

Original Poster

All I am going to say is if the mistakes were that obvious - then they would have been found prior to the nationwide publication. My son was taking this in Year 11 - a year ahead and this was his first AS Level paper - which he would be obviously nervous about. So I do hope the examination board do take this into consideration as they were negligent issuing this out to the schools !
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Add one, leave one game54415446
    2. Orionid meteor shower over the weekend33
    3. word association Game74244918
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522875

See more discussions