Found 4th Oct 2010
Hi,

Can you help me please? I'm trying to add together hours and minutes and can't figure out how to do so.

For example 7hrs and 30 mins x 2 should be 15hrs but it calculates as 14.60
or if I change the cell to time, it automatically changes the 7.30 to 7.12.

I've tried the on-line help but it doesn't give me the answer I need.

Thank you

1. Misc
  2. Excel
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Excel
13 Comments

change the 7.30 to 7.5 hours.

can u plz let me know how u are entering the values in the first place?
is it 7.30 or 07:30 or 7.5?

or fomat the cell with your answer to time rather than all of them, ie leave 7:30 as general but 14.6 as time.

if you enter as 7:30 in A1 and 2 in B1 and =A1*B1 in C1 then it will show as 15:00

Original Poster

Getknk - I want to enter real hours and mins i.e., 7.30

Minstrelman - have used decimals previously, which works, but when people enter in the odd few mins decimals they get confused and end up entering some data as decimal and others as real time.

coddfather - Thanks for the idea but it's to calculate a months worth of figures which will all be different.

Edited by: "mrsj2008" 4th Oct 2010

Tell us how your data is stored i.e what data is in what column and does the same type of data stay in the same column.
Edited by: "greg_68" 4th Oct 2010

as someone else has already said format the cells so that they calculate it as time instead of number

Original Poster

MinstrelMan

or fomat the cell with your answer to time rather than all of them, ie … or fomat the cell with your answer to time rather than all of them, ie leave 7:30 as general but 14.6 as time.

Still not working out right. I've done 7:30 x 5 and it doesn't give 37.30. Any other suggestions?

tracyhay

as someone else has already said format the cells so that they calculate … as someone else has already said format the cells so that they calculate it as time instead of number

just tried that and I was wrong, it still reads the outcome as time on a clock (14:24) not accumulative hours.

There must be a rule for it online somewhere

Original Poster

Greg-68

The data is all entered in Column A so each day people can put in their hours and minutes.
I've done a formula in Column B ....=SUM (A1:A31)

Format the answer cell to custom [HH]:MM

Right click and format cell then choose custom from the list and then type [HH]:mm into the box.
Edited by: "greg_68" 4th Oct 2010

Original Poster

you *S*T*A*R*, that [ ] has worked.

Thank you everyone for all your help just need to figure out how to add rep to you all, lol x

You can get top treatment combine it with a holiday in istanbul for a fraction of uk prices
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition74833
    2. Win free gin for a year99
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines65
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk33

See more discussions