Groups

Exchange Only line (EO) and Fibre Broadband

Does anyone have experience of getting fibre broadband with an Exchange Only line (EO) ? Openreach says the exchange is enabled but when i had an engineer over he was saying that EO lines make getting fibre from the exchange to the property far more difficult.

Has anyone experience of an EO line and eventually got fibre?

Thanks

6 Comments

You will be unable to get fibre on an EO line as you are not connected to a cabinet (PCP) - green box along the street. Essentially to get fibre there, they would need to install a cabinet and a fibre cabinet. Very unlikely to happen as majority of EO lines have a relatively fast ADSL speed; due to being close to the exchange.

Good luck in getting fibre.

Rob PM me ur adrs and ill check for u when i get to work is it for business or res

Unless they've fitted a new cab outside the exchange there won't be any fttc for you ever. Due to rfi they're not allowed to install VDSL gear inside the exchange, the bodge has been to install a cab outside the exchange then route all EO lines thru that but it's a lot of work for not many lines so you might have to wait until your local broadband consortium pay BT to do it

Original Poster

Thanks - i thought this might be the case from what the engineer said

I'll PM you PHD anyway just to see if your system has anymore detail.

In my limited experience, you have little (to no) chance of Openreach making it happen anytime soon. However, you can drum up support from others in the area who are in the same situation and sponsor a community project to make it happen much sooner. Those do happen and they do work, look into it

evolution07

You will be unable to get fibre on an EO line as you are not connected to … You will be unable to get fibre on an EO line as you are not connected to a cabinet (PCP) - green box along the street. Essentially to get fibre there, they would need to install a cabinet and a fibre cabinet. Very unlikely to happen as majority of EO lines have a relatively fast ADSL speed; due to being close to the exchange.Good luck in getting fibre.

This.

However, I have seen a case where res sub was diverted to different pole/DP and PCP just so that the premises could be served by a fibre line.

Also some EO line are down as such, but have JAGS (Joint above ground) in the route. These aren't usually marked on the plans and are essentially just an unmarked PCP with none of the PCP numbering present within the cab.

Edited by: "Paddy_o_furniture" 8th Dec 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Disney descendants duvet36
      2. BBQ Lighter Fuel or Gel22
      3. laptop for editing 4k videos (3840×2160p 30 fps)11
      4. Customs charged too much for a little item!67

See more discussions