Exchange/Refund PS4 with receipt, but without Card @Argos

Found 16th Aug 2016
So I want to buy a PS4, the guy who I want to buy it off has the Argos receipt but obviously I won't have the card he bought it with. So as stated can I exchange or get a refund if a fault develops?

1. Ask
  2. Card
  3. PS4
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Card
  3. PS4
34 Comments

usually they will stick it on any card just put one in the machine. alternatively just take a gift card for the value.

Exchange is more likely than a refund as refunds will only be given via the method of payment (sellers card)

Original Poster

justanothercid

usually they will stick it on any card just put one in the machine. … usually they will stick it on any card just put one in the machine. alternatively just take a gift card for the value.

Thanks, the only problem is that Argos' prices are way too high at times. So I would rather have the money on a card, rather than a gift card.

Original Poster

hassansf

Exchange is more likely than a refund as refunds will only be given via … Exchange is more likely than a refund as refunds will only be given via the method of payment (sellers card)

That's good to know, I would prefer the refund.

Say you lost card . Get his post code and name of they ask

Original Poster

wakkaday

Say you lost card . Get his post code and name of they ask

Thanks, will do

As above, they will just give you a new PS4. I wouldn't worry about getting a refund.

they will not give money back, either exchange or gift vouchers.

How old is it? They will repair faults after a certain period. You certainly won't get a refund if it has been used, even if it's only a week old .
Edited by: "chocci" 16th Aug 2016

The warranty lies with Sony for the first year. You do not need a receipt... warranty is activated when the console is activated. Argos will not help you as they are not liable & most certainly would only refund to the payment card. Playstation consoles & accessories are not covered by their refund policy anyway... it is explicitly stated in their terms & conditions on the receipt.

ktm666

As above, they will just give you a new PS4. I wouldn't worry about … As above, they will just give you a new PS4. I wouldn't worry about getting a refund.

No they won't.

2minutenoodles

The warranty lies with Sony for the first year. You do not need a … The warranty lies with Sony for the first year. You do not need a receipt... warranty is activated when the console is activated. Argos will not help you as they are not liable

Yes they will, because they are. The contract is with the vendor not the manufacturer.

tapi

Yes they will, because they are. The contract is with the vendor not the … Yes they will, because they are. The contract is with the vendor not the manufacturer.

Not true when it comes to Sony Consoles. You are very wrong.

2minutenoodles

Not true when it comes to Sony Consoles. You are very wrong.

I'd be very interested in why you believe the consumer rights act applies to everything you buy apart from Sony consoles.

tapi

I'd be very interested in why you believe the consumer rights act applies … I'd be very interested in why you believe the consumer rights act applies to everything you buy apart from Sony consoles.

Lol you are more than welcome to try fighting them. Just don't give others unsound advice.

2minutenoodles

Lol you are more than welcome to try fighting them. Just don't give … Lol you are more than welcome to try fighting them. Just don't give others unsound advice.

When you buy something from a shop the contract is formed between you and them, therefore the responsibility normally lays with them i.e. the other member is correct. It would be the responsibility of Argos to resolve the issue if a fault should occur which is covered by warranty and not Sony, however it would be the consumer's choice to circumvent that and deal directly with the manufacturer, in circumstances where manufacturers deal directly with consumers, since some don't anyway.
Edited by: "joshp" 17th Aug 2016

In my experience of returning a laptop and mobile phone, they take the item in for repair, and have it inspected, they will not just issue a refund or exchange on the spot if the item has been used.

In the case of the laptop they said it was caused by water damage, so was unable to repair or replace it, however with the mobile phone I was sent a brand new one from the manufacturer.

Original Poster

chocci

How old is it? They will repair faults after a certain period. You … How old is it? They will repair faults after a certain period. You certainly won't get a refund if it has been used, even if it's only a week old .

The guy said he bought it a few months ago

2minutenoodles

The warranty lies with Sony for the first year. You do not need a … The warranty lies with Sony for the first year. You do not need a receipt... warranty is activated when the console is activated. Argos will not help you as they are not liable & most certainly would only refund to the payment card. Playstation consoles & accessories are not covered by their refund policy anyway... it is explicitly stated in their terms & conditions on the receipt.

You are totally wrong, I suggest you read the Consumer rights act of 2015.!

The law is clear, the contract is with the vendor, Any small print from Argos or Sony cannot over rule your consumer rights and that is fact.!

Rid1

The guy said he bought it a few months ago

then you have zero chance of a refund (and rightly so). If it develops a fault, then it will be a repair only; unless irrepairable, then you will get it replaced.

Original Poster

2minutenoodles

The warranty lies with Sony for the first year. You do not need a … The warranty lies with Sony for the first year. You do not need a receipt... warranty is activated when the console is activated. Argos will not help you as they are not liable & most certainly would only refund to the payment card. Playstation consoles & accessories are not covered by their refund policy anyway... it is explicitly stated in their terms & conditions on the receipt.

Tbh I would prefer the exchange anyway. Also, a friend of mine bought his PS4 brand new from argos, he had some probelsm 3-4 months later and got it exchanged without any hassle. All they do is check if the warranty seal is broken.

Original Poster

chocci

then you have zero chance of a refund (and rightly so). If it develops a … then you have zero chance of a refund (and rightly so). If it develops a fault, then it will be a repair only; unless irrepairable, then you will get it replaced.

The faults of a PS4 are most times unfixable, like the internal errors.

Rid1

.. a friend of mine bought his PS4 brand new from argos, he had some … .. a friend of mine bought his PS4 brand new from argos, he had some probelsm 3-4 months later and got it exchanged without any hassle. All they do is check if the warranty seal is broken.

so you already knew the answer to your question before posting this thread? oO

Original Poster

chocci

so you already knew the answer to your question before posting this … so you already knew the answer to your question before posting this thread? oO

No this is different. I wanted to know if i could get a refund/exchange with receipt but witout the card that was used to purchase it. My friend used cash.

Rid1

No this is different. I wanted to know if i could get a refund/exchange … No this is different. I wanted to know if i could get a refund/exchange with receipt but witout the card that was used to purchase it. My friend used cash.

A receipt is all you need for any purchase in any store. People change cards all the time.

Original Poster

chocci

A receipt is all you need for any purchase in any store. People change … A receipt is all you need for any purchase in any store. People change cards all the time.

Thanks, I was just unsure

shauneco

You are totally wrong, I suggest you read the Consumer rights act of … You are totally wrong, I suggest you read the Consumer rights act of 2015.!The law is clear, the contract is with the vendor, Any small print from Argos or Sony cannot over rule your consumer rights and that is fact.!

Noodles has gone a bit quiet....

tapi

:), It is surprising how many people don't realize what rights they actually have, I recall upon release they had short supply and if peoples PS4 went faulty they couldn't exchange them as they didn't always have any in stock so I believe Sony set up an help line to deal with the repairs/replacements and Argos referred them to that as it was alot quicker than having to wait etc..

shauneco

You are totally wrong, I suggest you read the Consumer rights act of … You are totally wrong, I suggest you read the Consumer rights act of 2015.!The law is clear, the contract is with the vendor, Any small print from Argos or Sony cannot over rule your consumer rights and that is fact.!

The law is clear but you try fighting them. There is no one to enforce the law. Believe me we tried with our Sony TV. Just a heads up for anyone thinking that Consumer Rights are easily enforceable in the UK because they are not unless the company is on board.

shauneco

I don
tapi

No, I just have a life. I know the law & I know what I am talking about. It is not my problem if you don't believe me, just trying to save people grief.

2minutenoodles

The law is clear but you try fighting them. There is no one to enforce … The law is clear but you try fighting them. There is no one to enforce the law. Believe me we tried with our Sony TV. Just a heads up for anyone thinking that Consumer Rights are easily enforceable in the UK because they are not unless the company is on board.

I know in certain situations some retailers make things really difficult and are unhelpful or in some cases you have to prove inherent faults etc , Some retailers don't always know the consumer laws and think company policy is right but the consumer law is their to protect you, You could always take them to a small claims or take a copy of the consumer rights act with you and pinpoint the relevant section that applies to your case.

shauneco

I know in certain situations some retailers make things really difficult … I know in certain situations some retailers make things really difficult and are unhelpful or in some cases you have to prove inherent faults etc , Some retailers don't always know the consumer laws and think company policy is right but the consumer law is their to protect you, You could always take them to a small claims or take a copy of the consumer rights act with you and pinpoint the relevant section that applies to your case.

Yeah but at what cost & most people don't even know their rights. I would avoid Argos for large purchases & would never take out an extended warranty with Sony as they don't even honour their statutory one. Believe me I fight for my rights & almost always win but some battles are just not worth fighting. It is extremely unfortunate that the UK legislates but does not enforce the law.

I wrote a letter to argos about a ps3 that broke at the start of year 3. No extended warranty. Using soga and EU law, received £349 / 6 years, minus the 2 years use I had, got £232 back on a gift card. Enough to buy a new one at the time so I personally think Argos are really quite fair.
Edited by: "AndrewRoss" 18th Aug 2016

Original Poster

I don't know who to choose for best answer as you all have helped me equally. Thank you all.

Can a mod please expire this!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Is this junction box wired properly??610
    2. Whey protien45
    3. 43 inch 4k tv that is uhd 10bit58
    4. Foo fighters presale code.1110
    5. Advice on a cheaper hand held vacuum please.33

See more discussions