Found 21st Jun 2010
Is it best to exchange money in your home country or in the country you are travelling too? Of course I will exchange about 60 quid before had for when I arrive in the country.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
20 Comments

all depends, though there isn't always a lot in it.

plus some exchanges abroad have fees which limits any extra you may get.

Im going to Turkey and the woman who we are renting the villa off said thats its much better to get money out over there because the exchange is alot higher.

Original Poster

I will be exchanging cash, wont use my credit card as it has fees attached.

Well the exchange rate over there may be higher. Have a check on XE

Mod & Ed

On my USA trips I've used a prepayment card from fairfx, really good rate of exchange and can be used wherever debit/credit cards accepted and at atms, they do a sterling to dollar one and a euro one too, at the time got about 11 cents more to the pound than anywhere else

when i went to turkey the rate was a bit higher. best value for me was actually using my card which at that time gave a very decent rate.

horses for courses really and you'd need to ask someone who has maybe just been to the resort you're going to.

I've just got back from egypt and the rate here was appx 7.4 ep to a quid but in egypt it was 8.2 about 10% better.

Original Poster

How do you find out the rate in the country you are visting?

Civic EG6;8885451

where are you going to.?

the sedge;8885142

I've just got back from egypt and the rate here was appx 7.4 ep to a quid … I've just got back from egypt and the rate here was appx 7.4 ep to a quid but in egypt it was 8.2 about 10% better.

im going to egypt next week, did you just change it at the airport as soon as you arrived ?

Banned

nationwide debit card from cashpoints abroad - cant beat it EVER!

leemole101;8886578

im going to egypt next week, did you just change it at the airport as … im going to egypt next week, did you just change it at the airport as soon as you arrived ?

No I took 100 quid with me and the hotel had a bank kiosk and a machine you put you notes in and it exchanged them.

have you been to egypt before. It was our first visit and we loved it. It was well hot 40 plus every day and 30 plus at night.

csiman;8886773

yeah Ive heard this before do they give you the best rates available. and is it free to withdraw cash. and do you need to register it to use in egypt. I had t let my bank know cause they stop it if it used out there fo fraud puposes apparantly.

Banned

the sedge;8886950

yeah Ive heard this before do they give you the best rates available. and … yeah Ive heard this before do they give you the best rates available. and is it free to withdraw cash. and do you need to register it to use in egypt. I had t let my bank know cause they stop it if it used out there fo fraud puposes apparantly.

yep - zero commission and interbank rates (about 1.20 at them moment)

the sedge;8886926

No I took 100 quid with me and the hotel had a bank kiosk and a machine … No I took 100 quid with me and the hotel had a bank kiosk and a machine you put you notes in and it exchanged them.have you been to egypt before. It was our first visit and we loved it. It was well hot 40 plus every day and 30 plus at night.

no its my first time and were doing the nile cruise thing, cant wait till next weds :-D

leemole101;8887045

no its my first time and were doing the nile cruise thing, cant wait till … no its my first time and were doing the nile cruise thing, cant wait till next weds :-D

nice.. enjoy yourselves.. I'v still got the post holiday blues :-(

Original Poster

They have changed it now, its 1%. But still the cheapest around, am going to Thailand.

csiman;8886773

Banned

Civic EG6;8887265

They have changed it now, its 1%. But still the cheapest around, am going … They have changed it now, its 1%. But still the cheapest around, am going to Thailand.

its 0% in the Eu, 1% outside :thumbsup:

Banned

Civic EG6;8885451

Civic EG6;8887265

They have changed it now, its 1%. But still the cheapest around, am going … They have changed it now, its 1%. But still the cheapest around, am going to Thailand.

lucky boy, ill be over there shortly myself.

check local bank exchange rates

scb.co.th/htm…htm

krungsri.com/en/…spx

bankthailand.info/Exc…htm

Banned

youre getting 48 baht to the pound out there atm

best offer for exchange over here is 46 baht to the pound some as low as 43 baht
travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/hol…ey/
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition53491
    2. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)22
    3. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!33
    4. Win a Blink home security and monitoring system, worth £269.99 @ Netmums11

See more discussions