Exchanging notes out of circulation....

Found 23rd Nov 2017
Has anyone ever gone to the bank of England with old notes of a large quantity?.

What is the procedure in exchanging them?

How long does it take?.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
13 Comments
Maybe you could ask your partner if it's not a secret ...
Original Poster
spyro1234 m ago

Maybe you could ask your partner if it's not a secret ...

No, she will want to go on a shopping spree. I am not daft.
J4GG43 m ago

No, she will want to go on a shopping spree. I am not daft.

Hopefully the bank will refuse it then
Original Poster
numb3r93 h, 59 m ago

Yes did it by post and took a …Yes did it by post and took a week.http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/exchanges.aspx

How much did you send?.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 23rd Nov 2017
J4GG41 h, 15 m ago

How much did you send?.

have you tried your own bank? my bank take old notes in no problem.
Original Poster
mutley14 h, 10 m ago

have you tried your own bank? my bank take old notes in no problem.

I hadn't no, Google seems to suggest they stopped accepting them back in October 2014. However, since you've mentioned it I have called my bank and one branch has said they'd accept them as either an exchange or as a deposit into my account.

Cheers
J4GG439 m ago

I hadn't no, Google seems to suggest they stopped accepting them back in …I hadn't no, Google seems to suggest they stopped accepting them back in October 2014. However, since you've mentioned it I have called my bank and one branch has said they'd accept them as either an exchange or as a deposit into my account.Cheers

Even when they are out of circulation for many years, the bank will still take them. I sometimes find money in drawers that i had forgotten all about and they are way out of circulation, but my bank, natwest, still takes them
Original Poster
mutley113 m ago

Even when they are out of circulation for many years, the bank will still …Even when they are out of circulation for many years, the bank will still take them. I sometimes find money in drawers that i had forgotten all about and they are way out of circulation, but my bank, natwest, still takes them

I guess google can't always be trusted.

Appreciate the advice, will make life so much easier than going to central london.
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this but some old notes may be worth more than their face value to collectors. A neighbour of mine was clearing out a deceased relatives house and came across a large quantity of pre-decimal 10 shilling notes from the 1960's. He took them into the local Natwest branch who exchanged them at face value, 50p each, but later realised he could have sold them for many times this.
J4GG423rd Nov

How much did you send?.

£450
Original Poster
numb3r94 h, 16 m ago

£450

I some how thought it would be a 9 figure sum.
J4GG48 h, 23 m ago

I some how thought it would be a 9 figure sum.

Lol I should be so lucky!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants