Exciting news for HBO UK fans

Found 10th Feb 2014
I feel HBO do the best USA shows by a country mile, Game of thrones, Veep et al

Unblock US now supports the Nordic HBO streaming service...

log in to Unblock US choose 'Norway' as your region go to hbonordic.com and join

£8.79 a month I worked it out as, it is all in English and you can turn the hard coded subs off in your account settings...

Enjoy
Community Updates
MiscFan
45 Comments
How much stuff is on there? Is there anywhere where I can browse the content before subscribing?
Edited by: "KillFelix" 10th Feb 2014
KillFelix

How much stuff is on there? Is there anywhere where I can browse the … How much stuff is on there? Is there anywhere where I can browse the content before subscribing?

loads and loads, all of HBO and more like Walking Dead for instance

just switch your region and then browse, as it gets rid of the geo lock
It seems expensive for stuff that's on TV anyway. Can you not watch HBO series on other streaming services?
Aeschylus

loads and loads, all of HBO and more like Walking Dead for instancejust … loads and loads, all of HBO and more like Walking Dead for instancejust switch your region and then browse, as it gets rid of the geo lock

Can you not watch this stuff on Netflix?
RossD89

It seems expensive for stuff that's on TV anyway. Can you not watch HBO … It seems expensive for stuff that's on TV anyway. Can you not watch HBO series on other streaming services?

noooooo it is locked down tight, apart from Amazon instant which BTW charges £28 for one season of Game of Thrones, you simply have no idea how good this is, HBO channel in the states is very expensive and they don't offer any streaming services if you don't have the cable subscription...

and what stuff that is on TV? you mean stuff that is on sky, that you pay at least £25 a month for?
seanbwfc

Can you not watch this stuff on Netflix?

no HBO and Netflix do not like each other, direct competitors
RossD89

It seems expensive for stuff that's on TV anyway. Can you not watch HBO … It seems expensive for stuff that's on TV anyway. Can you not watch HBO series on other streaming services?

Well Walking Dead is on US Netflix, the only other shows I'm interested in are GoT, The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire and Curb - but for £9/month I may as well just get them on Blu-ray.

I'd really need to browse the catalogue to see if it's worth doing, but for the same price as NF+UnblockUS combined I doubt the selection will be anywhere near close.
oh and just for a little clarityy

I have

Netflix
Hulu Plus
HBO Nordic
Amazon Instant

all of those 3 subscription's cost me £15 ish (depending on exchange rate) a month, compared to sky to get anywhere near that at least £45 a month

you do the math
KillFelix

Well Walking Dead is on US Netflix, the only other shows I'm interested … Well Walking Dead is on US Netflix, the only other shows I'm interested in are GoT, The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire and Curb - but for £9/month I may as well just get them on Blu-ray.I'd really need to browse the catalogue to see if it's worth doing, but for the same price as NF+UnblockUS combined I doubt the selection will be anywhere near close.

No, you are incorrect, everyone in the world gets the walking dead, it is about how fast you get it, that is what counts, just because Netflix USA gets it don't mean nothing as it is not HBO

where is GOT on Netflix etc etc

Edited by: "Aeschylus" 10th Feb 2014
KillFelix

Well Walking Dead is on US Netflix, the only other shows I'm interested … Well Walking Dead is on US Netflix, the only other shows I'm interested in are GoT, The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire and Curb - but for £9/month I may as well just get them on Blu-ray.I'd really need to browse the catalogue to see if it's worth doing, but for the same price as NF+UnblockUS combined I doubt the selection will be anywhere near close.

why don't you do Amazon instant then, it has all those shows for you right now, only cost you about £150 to buy them all at this instance

but yeah £9 a month, ridiculous
LOL.

OP having a hissy fit because people disagree with how 'exciting' this news is or dare to ask a question.
Edited by: "RossD89" 10th Feb 2014
Aeschylus

No, you are incorrect, everyone in the world gets the walking dead, it … No, you are incorrect, everyone in the world gets the walking dead, it is about how fast you get it, that is what counts, just because Netflix USA gets it don't mean nothing as it is not HBOwhere is GOT on Netflix etc etc

GoT etc aren't on Netflix which is why I said it's probably worth getting them on BD instead of paying the relatively expensive fee of £9/month for HBONordic.

Aeschylus

why don't you do Amazon instant then, it has all those shows for you … why don't you do Amazon instant then, it has all those shows for you right now, only cost you about £150 to buy them all at this instancebut yeah £9 a month, ridiculous

I've not looked into that at all - how does it hold up as a service compared to Netflix (Which I'd say is the gold standard of streaming)?
RossD89

LOL.OP having a hissy fit because people disagree with how 'exciting' … LOL.OP having a hissy fit because people disagree with how 'exciting' this news is or dare to ask a question.

not at all, it just amazes me how people think £9 a month is expensive when you probably have Sky, without piracy this HBO Nordic is the only way to get HBO shows 1 hour after they air in the states...

to say that £9 is expensive for that is daft, especially since you could get every USA streaming service for less than half the price it would cost you to replicate on Sky...

your statement was "it is expensive for stuff on TV" but you failed to mention where you watch this stuff without a subscription

KillFelix

GoT etc aren't on Netflix which is why I said it's probably worth getting … GoT etc aren't on Netflix which is why I said it's probably worth getting them on BD instead of paying the relatively expensive fee of £9/month for HBONordic.I've not looked into that at all - how does it hold up as a service compared to Netflix (Which I'd say is the gold standard of streaming)?

Amazon instant is amazing, but expensive, but you can get films like Thor etc very quickly, the massive downside is you have to pay for everything you watch, it is not a pay once for all service
Aeschylus

Amazon instant is amazing, but expensive, but you can get films like Thor … Amazon instant is amazing, but expensive, but you can get films like Thor etc very quickly

Lol just had a look at prices and it's more expensive than the physical copy. Not a chance.

Can't understand why anyone would pay more for an inferior, unsellable digital copy. Mental.
KillFelix

Lol just had a look at prices and it's more expensive than the physical … Lol just had a look at prices and it's more expensive than the physical copy. Not a chance.Can't understand why anyone would pay more for an inferior, unsellable digital copy. Mental.

did warn you, I think the idea is you can buy before it is released physically
Aeschylus

not at all, it just amazes me how people think £9 a month is expensive … not at all, it just amazes me how people think £9 a month is expensive when you probably have Sky, without piracy this HBO Nordic is the only way to get HBO shows 1 hour after they air in the states...to say that £9 is expensive for that is daft, especially since you could get every USA streaming service for less than half the price it would cost you to replicate on Sky...your statement was "it is expensive for stuff on TV" but you failed to mention where you watch this stuff without a subscription

But I have Sky so I can watch sports. Does HBO stream premier league matches for £9 a month?
RossD89

But I have Sky so I can watch sports. Does HBO stream premier league … But I have Sky so I can watch sports. Does HBO stream premier league matches for £9 a month?

of course not, but your whole "seems expensive" argument fall down at the first hurdle as you have Sky, as you wont have any need for this..

I just can not get my head around someone who pays a small fortune for sky can make a statement like that, but you did, so that is the end of it
Aeschylus

of course not, but you whole "seems expensive" argument fall down at the … of course not, but you whole "seems expensive" argument fall down at the first hurdle as you have Sky, as you wont have any need for this..I just can not get my head around someone who pays a small fortune for sky can make a statement like that, but you did, so that is the end of it

I don't quite understand your petulance on such an unimportant matter after I asked a simple question.
RossD89

I don't quite understand your petulance on such an unimportant matter … I don't quite understand your petulance on such an unimportant matter after I asked a simple question.

I answered in Post 6, short answer...No..

Long Answer

HBO and Netflix are direct competitors, HBO thought Netflix was a joke when they first launched, and still do to some extent, HBO are a bit like Sky, they allow people to stream HBO shows only if you have a very expensive cable subscription...

Netflix CEO once famously said, "We aim to be like HBO before HBO try to be like us" HBO are now starting to realise streaming is the future, but are still a very cash rich company so it is a slow process
who pays for TV these days
pcangeldust

who pays for TV these days

Pirating is a ballache at the best of times. I pay for Netflix because it's cheap, it's instant, it's excellent quality, there's LOADS of content, it's contributing to the industry and it's far, far easier than pirating.
might as well download everything you want to watch if you are going to bypass the country copyright restrictions

netflix UK is awful by the way. Ran out of stuff to watch after one week of my trial.
KillFelix

Pirating is a ballache at the best of times. I pay for Netflix because … Pirating is a ballache at the best of times. I pay for Netflix because it's cheap, it's instant, it's excellent quality, there's LOADS of content, it's contributing to the industry and it's far, far easier than pirating.

piracy is easier than ever with newsgroups, SABnzbd & sickbeard. It automatically downloads every episode as they are aired and even all the previous episodes if you want it to
chocci

might as well download everything you want to watch if you are going to … might as well download everything you want to watch if you are going to bypass the country copyright restrictions

Not really - at least the industry is receiving the sub fees even if you do use a VPN - which is better than nothing. The international locales are the only thing keeping me (and a lot of other VPN users) paying.
KillFelix

Not really - at least the industry is receiving the sub fees even if you … Not really - at least the industry is receiving the sub fees even if you do use a VPN - which is better than nothing. The international locales are the only thing keeping me (and a lot of other VPN users) paying.

I agree, I am getting a little concerned that they are starting to crack down, I see the Chromecast is a nightmare with google forcing you through their DNS servers to prevent any geo-unlocking

I read there is a work around by using custom FW on your router to fire the DNS back towards you geo-umblocker, but still a pain in the ass..

Roku does not allow you to change any DNS settings either
KillFelix

Not really - at least the industry is receiving the sub fees even if you … Not really - at least the industry is receiving the sub fees even if you do use a VPN - which is better than nothing. The international locales are the only thing keeping me (and a lot of other VPN users) paying.

either way, it seems downloading or geo-unlocking are both legal in the UK
Aeschylus

I agree, I am getting a little concerned that they are starting to crack … I agree, I am getting a little concerned that they are starting to crack down, I see the Chromecast is a nightmare with google forcing you through their DNS servers to prevent any geo-unlocking :(I read there is a work around by using custom FW on your router to fire the DNS back towards you geo-umblocker, but still a pain in the ass..Roku does not allow you to change any DNS settings either

I don't think it's as bad as you're making out. Yes there are a few devices where you can't change the DNS but there are plenty of devices that you can do it. Three out of three devices in my setup that can recieve Netflix all have DNS settings you can change, and don't forget you'll always be able to do it via PC, or even Raspberry Pi.

chocci

either way, it seems downloading or geo-unlocking are both legal in the UK

Downloading?
chocci

piracy is easier than ever with newsgroups, SABnzbd & sickbeard. It … piracy is easier than ever with newsgroups, SABnzbd & sickbeard. It automatically downloads every episode as they are aired and even all the previous episodes if you want it to

Aren't newsgroups expensive though? And wouldn't you need a VPN too?
Transformers

Aren't newsgroups expensive though? And wouldn't you need a VPN too?

no and no

about 2p per Gig so about 10p for full series in 720p
Edited by: "chocci" 10th Feb 2014
chocci

no and noabout 2p per Gig so about 10p for full series in 720p

So are newgroups basically some sort of 'media collection' and then you download from it and pay per a GB, is that right? Also, do you have any personal recommendations on which newsgroups to join (if there are 'better ones')?

Thanks in advance chocci and sorry for the 'noob' questions.
Transformers

So are newgroups basically some sort of 'media collection' and then you … So are newgroups basically some sort of 'media collection' and then you download from it and pay per a GB, is that right? Also, do you have any personal recommendations on which newsgroups to join (if there are 'better ones')?Thanks in advance chocci and sorry for the 'noob' questions.

I use real-debrid.co.uk/ and get the links from http://www.warez-bb.org/index.php

but that is not newsgroups, I could never get my head around newsgroups, so if chocci wants to give is all a idiots guide that would be great
Aeschylus

I use https://www.real-debrid.co.uk/ and get the links from … I use https://www.real-debrid.co.uk/ and get the links from http://www.warez-bb.org/index.phpbut that is not newsgroups, I could never get my head around newsgroups, so if chocci wants to give is all a idiots guide that would be great

Thanks Aeschylus. I know what Warez-BB is already, it's a great forum site, I just want to know more about newsgroups specifically at the moment.

Also, I tried your other link and I got the following message, so I did not proceed.

http://i.imgur.com/VfdVJVY.png
Newsgroups were/are the way people talk and shared data before the http protocol, i.e. pre-www and the easy GUI system i.e. web browser. They are/were usually text based, a bit like chat rooms format, but no emotions just text.Newsgroup info, they use BIN groups to transfer binary files, e.g. films, images, SW.

Transformers

So are newgroups basically some sort of 'media collection' and then you … So are newgroups basically some sort of 'media collection' and then you download from it and pay per a GB, is that right? Also, do you have any personal recommendations on which newsgroups to join (if there are 'better ones')?Thanks in advance chocci and sorry for the 'noob' questions.

you need to buy a block of data from somewhere like newsgroupdirect (about £25 for 1TB)

then a newsreader to download from an indexing site

newsreader e.g grabit

indexing site e.g gingadaddy or nzb.su

takes a while to initially set up (loads of guides out there) but then its all the media you want and it comes down at your max bandwidth
chocci

you need to buy a block of data from somewhere like newsgroupdirect … you need to buy a block of data from somewhere like newsgroupdirect (about £25 for 1TB)then a newsreader to download from an indexing sitenewsreader e.g grabitindexing site e.g gingadaddy or nzb.sutakes a while to initially set up (loads of guides out there) but then its all the media you want and it comes down at your max bandwidth

Okay, thanks very much chocci. It seems a bit complicated, but I will take a look at it at some point.

By the way, why did you say you don't need to use a VPN......

With torrents, it's always recommended to mask your IP address. Is that not a problem with using newsgroups? And why?
Lol start a thread about legal streaming services, end up tutoring how to pirate
Will this work on a Samsung TV's web browser? Or is there an app for the smart hub?

I already have unblock-us, I can change the DNS, YouTube videos play fine. I don't want to sign up if it won't work on my TV.

Also, is it easy to cancel?

I actually think this is really cheap, considering how many shows I need to catch up on and what it would cost to buy them on Blu Ray. Also saves the hassle of then selling the boxsets.

*edit* It says I need a credit card registered to a Swedish, Norwegian, Danish or Finnish bank.
Edited by: "bo0td" 10th Feb 2014
Transformers

Okay, thanks very much chocci. It seems a bit complicated, but I will … Okay, thanks very much chocci. It seems a bit complicated, but I will take a look at it at some point. :3By the way, why did you say you don't need to use a VPN......With torrents, it's always recommended to mask your IP address. Is that not a problem with using newsgroups? And why?

still as legal as each other currently though
Transformers

Okay, thanks very much chocci. It seems a bit complicated, but I will … Okay, thanks very much chocci. It seems a bit complicated, but I will take a look at it at some point. :3By the way, why did you say you don't need to use a VPN......With torrents, it's always recommended to mask your IP address. Is that not a problem with using newsgroups? And why?

newsgroups use SSL which means ISP's cannot see what you are downloading (unlike torrents where they can and which is illegal as you are uploading too)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants