Found 19th Oct 2009
Can anyone help please. A friend of mine has an oldish sony vio laptop. It has been partitioned into 3 since it was new. 10GB of restore files on one partition, C drive of 13GB and a D drive of 17GB. I deleted the D drive and formated it to NTFS to match the C drive and followed the help file, ie dos window, discport etc but when I typed in the expand command an error came up. Any one know what to do to get the C drive to 30GB please. Thanks.

1. Misc
  2. Windows
13 Comments

Partition Magic is simple to use.

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6622412

Partition Magic is simple to use.

Is it free and if so wheres the best place to download from, thanks.

Or you could use the Windows disk manager

Original Poster

dcx_badass;6622419

Gparted.

Sorry, don't understand?

Original Poster

Tanchi;6622461

Thats what I was using to delete and format the D drive but thats all it would do.

andycs;6622460

Is it free and if so wheres the best place to download from, thanks.

No it's not free, unless you get it via a torrent. :whistling:

There is a very similar one which is free, but of course I can't remember the bloody name !

edit - Found it - Easeus Partition Master - partition-tool.com/per…htm

Banned

Tanchi;6622461

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]^ This, if its available on XP.

Right click on My Computer, select manage, then disk management. Should be able to delete partitions 2 and 3, and extend partition 1.

This is advanced stuff though when you don't know what you are doing - be careful!
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Original Poster

vibeone;6622487

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]^ This, if its … [FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]^ This, if its available on XP.Right click on My Computer, select manage, then disk management. Should be able to delete partitions 2 and 3, and extend partition 1.This is advanced stuff though when you don't know what you are doing - be careful![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

This is what I used to delete & format the D drive but it wouldn't expand.

Banned

andycs;6622512

This is what I used to delete & format the D drive but it wouldn't expand.

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Did you delete any pointless extended partitions as well as the partitions themselves?

Sounds odd - can only assume disk management on XP doesn't have that ability.
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Original Poster

vibeone;6622767

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Did you delete any … [SIZE="2"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Did you delete any pointless extended partitions as well as the partitions themselves?Sounds odd - can only assume disk management on XP doesn't have that ability.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Don't know if this means anything but in the disc management section when I right click the C drive some af the options are highlighted out?

Banned

andycs;6623080

Don't know if this means anything but in the disc management section when … Don't know if this means anything but in the disc management section when I right click the C drive some af the options are highlighted out?

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Is C definitely the only partition though? There are no lingering extended partitions with no partitions within?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Banned

XP does ship with a command line utility called Diskpart that can increase (or extend as Microsoft calls it) the size of an existing partition into Unallocated space, but it has many limitations including being limited to left to right resizing operations.

My advise, use Partition Expert by Acronis.

dcx_badass;6623939

The windows one can't do C:/ as far as I know, Gparted is free, just use … The windows one can't do C:/ as far as I know, Gparted is free, just use that.

+1 for Gparted

gparted.sourceforge.net/

You need to stick it on a USB flash drive and boot the computer with the flash drive... after that you can shuffle, delete, resize partitions all you want.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769665
    2. BrightHouse to pay £14.8 MILLION in compensation to 249,000 customers68
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…59122
    4. Xbox Code Giveaway - fastest finger first57

See more discussions