Expansion tank

Posted 2nd Nov
I have slow drips coming from a bolt at the bottom of my expansion tank above my water tank, it only drips when I turn my boiler on to heat the water.

Does anyone know if this would be a water pressure issue or the tank need replacing.

Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Dilemma... You could try putting a little pressure on it with a spanner - clinching it a little tighter. The danger is that you overtighren it and tear the thread. If you do try this, do it when it is hot, because if you do it when it is cold the pressures change when the metal expands. As it is only the expansion tank you are unlikely to have major leaks.
You haven't said what this bolt is holding together.
I said bolts... Maybe I meant screws at the bottom of the expansion tank. Sorry this is all alien to me... I had a guy around he said a few hundred quid to replace it but upon reading it could just be pressure issues? Don't want to get stung for a few hundred quid it is something that can easily be fixed
If you can get the bold off then you could try replacing the fitting or wrapping PTFE tape around it and tightening it up.
Post a pic if you can.
pics needed.

You have a pressure gauge in the system? whats that showing (cold and hot)?
Try gently tightening the bolts a little bit, see if that cures it, the seal may have shrunk slightly over time.
Always try the simple solutions first before pulling things apart.
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 2nd Nov
Looks quite simple to fix. There appears to be a rubber seal between the two components. With the system of and cold I'd remove the whole expansion tank then remove the bolts - get a new seal, replace and refit. You may get away with simply refitting the old seal after cleaning it of any scale.
Expansion vessels start at about £35 at Screwfix. YouTube for how to do it.
Ah OK thanks for your help just gives me a bit of knowledge when the next guy comes to look at it. So it could just be a replacents seal rather than a full tank refit which I got told a couple of hundred quid. It leaks from all the bolts so kinda was hoping it was seals or loose. Thanks again
PHILREC7702/11/2019 10:50

Ah OK thanks for your help just gives me a bit of knowledge when the next …Ah OK thanks for your help just gives me a bit of knowledge when the next guy comes to look at it. So it could just be a replacents seal rather than a full tank refit which I got told a couple of hundred quid. It leaks from all the bolts so kinda was hoping it was seals or loose. Thanks again

Personally if you're at all used to using a spanner I'd remove it and run down to Screwfix with it. Compare and see how much a like for like would be. A plumber will charge you £50 an hour, minimum 2 hours for labour - or do it yourself in 10 minutes.
Plumbers have to make a living so they are going to charge a high rate as they still need paying when there's no work. So not knocking plumbers (before I get grief ), but I'd rather £150 was in my pocket. It all depends on how confident you are in DIY.
If you do it yourself, use stilsons to hold the pipe so you don't twist it - but not so tight as to kink it.
As I say, youtube it and decide if you can do it.
It''s a 15 minute job, £30 for the vessel. I'd charge £90.

You will need someone qualified for unvented cylinders (sometimes called G3).
Ringfinger02/11/2019 11:04

Personally if you're at all used to using a spanner I'd remove it and run …Personally if you're at all used to using a spanner I'd remove it and run down to Screwfix with it. Compare and see how much a like for like would be. A plumber will charge you £50 an hour, minimum 2 hours for labour - or do it yourself in 10 minutes.Plumbers have to make a living so they are going to charge a high rate as they still need paying when there's no work. So not knocking plumbers (before I get grief ), but I'd rather £150 was in my pocket. It all depends on how confident you are in DIY.If you do it yourself, use stilsons to hold the pipe so you don't twist it - but not so tight as to kink it.As I say, youtube it and decide if you can do it.

Yeah it's not something I'd do. Looked at a few YouTube videos and not confident
themorgatron02/11/2019 11:32

It''s a 15 minute job, £30 for the vessel. I'd charge £90.You will need s …It''s a 15 minute job, £30 for the vessel. I'd charge £90.You will need someone qualified for unvented cylinders (sometimes called G3).

Thanks. The first guy saw the drips and said I'd need a new tank..' couple hundred quid'
themorgatron02/11/2019 11:32

It''s a 15 minute job, £30 for the vessel. I'd charge £90.You will need s …It''s a 15 minute job, £30 for the vessel. I'd charge £90.You will need someone qualified for unvented cylinders (sometimes called G3).

Seems reasonable if you're not confident.
Ringfinger02/11/2019 11:53

Seems reasonable if you're not confident.

I'd snap his hand off at 90 quid! (not literally)
Had a different guy come around said it would be cheaper to order it myself (found it for 39 quid with free deliver) and he'd charge 30 to fit it.... Bargain. Cheers for the advice
Advice is free... This forum is generally good for advice.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants