Groups

Expensive Letting fees

Admin fee £ 360.00
    Credit References £ 100.00
    Inventory Check In £ 70.00

which of these should I challenge or can do myself for cheaper?

11 Comments

I don't think you can challenge it. The only option is to rent directly from the landlord. Fees nowadays are ridiculous.

Wait until the admin fees are legally banned (?), although in reality the banned fees will simply be recovered by being silently rolled into higher rents which over time will effectively cost more than a one-off upfront fee. Maybe ask the letting agent why it is not being proactive and voluntarily removing admin fees before the ban is forced upon them?

Not much you can't do. Different agencies will charge different fees.

You could ask for a breakdown of fees to find out what is included, for instance, it's ilegal to charge tenants for anything they also charge the landlord for, such as inventories.

Agents already get 10/20% of the rent you pay

Sadly it is a confidence trick. In reality a charge of around MAX £125 for all three is appropriate.
    I believe these charges are soon to be "banned" (as stated by AndyRoyd above and advised by my solicitor recently).

You could do an awful lot of administration for £360.

psychobitchfromhell32 m ago

You could do an awful lot of administration for £360.

They don't do any administration at all, that is the tragedy of it. Letting agents are a complete rip off for both landlord and tenant.

mutley1

They don't do any administration at all, that is the tragedy of it. … They don't do any administration at all, that is the tragedy of it. Letting agents are a complete rip off for both landlord and tenant.

That's why I rent privately. Cheaper for my tenants and more money for me.

The cheapest I found is openrent.co.uk

They also list the properties for you on rightmove, zoopla, etc
    They also have cheap additional services for EPC certificates, References (paid by potential tenant), etc.

You're also best asking for previous 6 bank statements from Potential tenants to see if they can truly afford the rent.

TheShadowWalker

The cheapest I found is openrent.co.ukThey also list the properties for … The cheapest I found is openrent.co.ukThey also list the properties for you on rightmove, zoopla, etcThey also have cheap additional services for EPC certificates, References (paid by potential tenant), etc.You're also best asking for previous 6 bank statements from Potential tenants to see if they can truly afford the rent.

I've rented from OpenRent before - I have good experiences.
    I certainly would not show a landlord any previous bank statements though. I may be in the minority. It's simply a privacy thing for me even though I could afford it.

credit checks only cost about £10 per person - its all done online
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Has anyone bought fitted wardrobes from Sharps?12
      2. Can you machine wash wool suit trousers that state "dry clean only"?77
      3. Are smart parking limited legitimate11
      4. Help O2 wont repair my sony experia xz22

See more discussions