Experience of British Gas Homecare

Posted 8th Nov
Have homecare200 which covers drainage.
Had a leak on the wall in the kitchen, called them. Waite waited & got a call from engineer saying he's stuck in traffic.
was so late postponed appointment. Next day engineer arrived (£60 excess fee)
spends 5 mins to say it's the outside guttering & that's not covered.
But it's drainage guttering I plead, nop that's not covered.
Next day get my guttering professionally cleaned (£65).
The leak has not stopped & kitchen wall & cieling now ruined.
Pretty crappy experience of BG homecare.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
They were happy to leave us without heating for two weeks when our boiler broke down - in the middle of last winter. All their emergency appointments had been taken already and - as we are young men - we are not an "at risk" group therefore we'll see you in 2 weeks time. Despite it being below zero outside. The more people that quit them, the better. Absolute jokers.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 8th Nov
adamderak09/11/2019 00:38

True butPoint 1. I think at least most people would assume guttering to be …True butPoint 1. I think at least most people would assume guttering to be part of " drainage" so when the cover states drainage , it's potentially misleading. Having stated that it did state guttering is not included so hands up.Point 2.Having paid £60 excess fee for 5 mins of an engineer having done a quick assesment with a torch light and informing me it's the guttering. I paid £65 for the guttering to be cleaned , leak hasn't stopped which suggests guttering wasn't the issue.

It could be a roof leak and nothing to do with the plumbing/waste water drainage. Unless your old or disabled I fail to see why you haven’t inspected the issue yourself, I would never rely on an engineer to diagnose anything without already having some look at it myself beforehand to try and identify the cause, as for repairing pipes it’s really easy to do and home care to be honest is a complete waste of money.

I had a pipe burst in the loft on New Year’s Eve an hour before I was going to go to a party, I grabbed my tools drained the system, made a temporary repair and filled the system, I’m not a trade person so it took me longer than them but I was only 1 hour late to my party and my house wasn’t flooded or damaged as a result beyond allowing the water to dry out and a minor touch up of paint on the ceiling. I would have waited hours for an engineer at a particular time like that and they may not even have come out. I then bought some extra materials a week later and cut out the whole section of joins and redid it to a better standard than it was done previously (previous to me living in the house). No leaks.

I have a blowtorch and various plumbing tools, joints, solder etc and a couple of lengths (of each width) of copper pipe stored in the loft always just in case, it doesn’t take up much space and means I can react quickly to anything if the worst happens.

It annoys me that so many people are so completely reliant on buying in help, which reality means that when you need it, it won’t be there as it’s during high demand or they will do everything not to do anything.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 9th Nov
24 Comments
They were happy to leave us without heating for two weeks when our boiler broke down - in the middle of last winter. All their emergency appointments had been taken already and - as we are young men - we are not an "at risk" group therefore we'll see you in 2 weeks time. Despite it being below zero outside. The more people that quit them, the better. Absolute jokers.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 8th Nov
Go right to the top and complain!

Here you go. Write a email to British Gas Managing Director - Matthew Bateman

mailto:matthew.bateman@britishgas.co.uk
n15hu08/11/2019 23:49

Go right to the top and complain!Here you go. Write a email to British Gas …Go right to the top and complain!Here you go. Write a email to British Gas Managing Director - Matthew Batemanmailto:matthew.bateman@britishgas.co.uk

Will he actually read or reply?
adamderak08/11/2019 23:50

Will he actually read or reply?

90% of the time that I’ve written a complaints to senior managers/directors/CEOs I’ve got a response and compensation. Usually they send the emails to a few chains below who handle the complaint and get it resolved.

The reason why I go straight to the top is because they have the authority to resolve this matter with no questions asked when delegating down the request!

You are a valid, honest and genuine customer...I see that from what you’ve wrote. There’s no reason why they wouldn’t validate your complaint!

I’m almost heartbroken from what you’ve written...it’s unfair and you need to be compensated!

Whenever I’ve complained to British Gas senior management they have full compensated me and carried out a free boiler check for me too. Best of luck Adam.

...Next day get my guttering professionally cleaned (£65). The leak has …...Next day get my guttering professionally cleaned (£65). The leak has not stopped & kitchen wall & cieling now ruined.

I appreciate you have simply summarised, but would guttering repair not be more appropriate than a clean, or are you suggesting the guttering is not the issue?
AndyRoyd09/11/2019 00:16

I appreciate you have simply summarised, but would guttering repair not be …I appreciate you have simply summarised, but would guttering repair not be more appropriate than a clean, or are you suggesting the guttering is not the issue?

Guttering is not the issue. British gas chappy suggested blocked guttering
Cleaned guttering, leak still active

Have homecare200 which covers drainage.

The policy schedule defines darins as "the system of waste water pipes on your property" and where the technical term "waste water" is accepted in the industry as generally "any water that has been affected by human use" or in simple terms "water that is not clean because it has already been used" which would not include removal / funnelling of rainwater. In that instance the BG engineer would have been correct in stating that HC200 did not insure your rainwater guttering.
AndyRoyd09/11/2019 00:31

The policy schedule defines darins as "the system of waste water pipes on …The policy schedule defines darins as "the system of waste water pipes on your property" and where the technical term "waste water" is accepted in the industry as generally "any water that has been affected by human use" or in simple terms "water that is not clean because it has already been used" which would not include removal / funnelling of rainwater. In that instance the BG engineer would have been correct in stating that HC200 did not insure your rainwater guttering.

True but
Point 1. I think at least most people would assume guttering to be part of " drainage" so when the cover states drainage , it's potentially misleading.
Having stated that it did state guttering is not included so hands up.
Point 2.
Having paid £60 excess fee for 5 mins of an engineer having done a quick assesment with a torch light and informing me it's the guttering. I paid £65 for the guttering to be cleaned , leak hasn't stopped which suggests guttering wasn't the issue.

True butPoint 1. I think at least most people would assume guttering to be …True butPoint 1. I think at least most people would assume guttering to be part of " drainage" so when the cover states drainage , it's potentially misleading. Having stated that it did state guttering is not included so hands up.Point 2.Having paid £60 excess fee for 5 mins of an engineer having done a quick assesment with a torch light and informing me it's the guttering. I paid £65 for the guttering to be cleaned , leak hasn't stopped which suggests guttering wasn't the issue.

You may still have a valid claim if you can show the cause of the leak / water ingress is from a waste water pipe. As we now know what a waste water pipe is, are there any such pipes within the vicinity of the damage?
AndyRoyd09/11/2019 00:43

You may still have a valid claim if you can show the cause of the leak / …You may still have a valid claim if you can show the cause of the leak / water ingress is from a waste water pipe. As we now know what a waste water pipe is, are there any such pipes within the vicinity of the damage?

I really don't know tbh. There is the external pipe from the guttering to ground level but when I had the guttering cleaned , the chap placed the hose pipe and water flowed perfectly fine.
The boiler needed to be represurised so that's hinting towards a central heating pipe failure.
adamderak09/11/2019 00:51

I really don't know tbh. There is the external pipe from the guttering to …I really don't know tbh. There is the external pipe from the guttering to ground level but when I had the guttering cleaned , the chap placed the hose pipe and water flowed perfectly fine.The boiler needed to be represurised so that's hinting towards a central heating pipe failure.

Mmm, suppose if it really is a CH issue then BG may still be on the hook as HC200 covers CH pipes and Mr Eng may have missed / failed to consider a CH-related cause. Suggestion:
tell BG that you suspect that you have a CH pipe issue that BGs engineer failed to identify. Say that you will be commissioning your own independent inspection and if the cause of the issue is a CH pipe as covered by HC200 you will be seeking reasonable compensation for issue rectification, the cost of the independent inspection and the cost of damage post the initial incorrect BG assessment. However prior to you commissioning your independent inspection you will as a gesture of goodwill permit BG to immediately re-visit the property at no charge to you to clairify its original incorrect assessment.

It could be a roof leak and nothing to do with the plumbing/waste water drainage. Unless your old or disabled I fail to see why you haven’t inspected the issue yourself, I would never rely on an engineer to diagnose anything without already having some look at it myself beforehand to try and identify the cause, as for repairing pipes it’s really easy to do and home care to be honest is a complete waste of money.

I had a pipe burst in the loft on New Year’s Eve an hour before I was going to go to a party, I grabbed my tools drained the system, made a temporary repair and filled the system, I’m not a trade person so it took me longer than them but I was only 1 hour late to my party and my house wasn’t flooded or damaged as a result beyond allowing the water to dry out and a minor touch up of paint on the ceiling. I would have waited hours for an engineer at a particular time like that and they may not even have come out. I then bought some extra materials a week later and cut out the whole section of joins and redid it to a better standard than it was done previously (previous to me living in the house). No leaks.

I have a blowtorch and various plumbing tools, joints, solder etc and a couple of lengths (of each width) of copper pipe stored in the loft always just in case, it doesn’t take up much space and means I can react quickly to anything if the worst happens.

It annoys me that so many people are so completely reliant on buying in help, which reality means that when you need it, it won’t be there as it’s during high demand or they will do everything not to do anything.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 9th Nov
I certainly wouldn't think that drainage covers guttering

Unless, there is pipework above the leak, then it could still be faulty guttering where it meets the roof (not a blockage)
they will try anything to get out of repairs, all companies are the same..

ring them back and state you have had the guttering done and have reciept and thats not the issue, you would like them to fix the problem and reinburse the cost of the guttering clean as it was not nesecery...

maybe contact them on twitter with this as they dont like bad publicity..
Can't fault the British Gas engineer who fixed our radiator leaks in January. When we moved into our new home, we discovered that three of the radiators leaked. I phoned British Gas and explained the issue, took out a contract and agreed a first fix for under £100. The engineer found other leaks which were fixed as well and fitted a new hot water / radiator switch. The system had to be drained twice; the second time after a new leak was found. He spent from 9 am to 5.30 pm sorting everything out. He came back a few days later to check everything was ok. I expect that considerably more would have been spent if a contract hadn't been taken out. The engineer only lives five minutes from us and we often meet him at the supermarket.
I think all the leaks were caused by overactive vacuuming by the previous owner, so I'm going to cover the pipes once we have finished the other work that's ongoing.
Open a post office account , put £10 or £20 a month in and use that if any problems come up , much better than being ripped off for warranties
You'll need to describe the issue more clearly, but from what you've said, it sounds like a roof/wall issue. I've no idea if that would be covered as I won't touch anything associated with British gas.
Pandamansays09/11/2019 10:45

You'll need to describe the issue more clearly, but from what you've …You'll need to describe the issue more clearly, but from what you've said, it sounds like a roof/wall issue. I've no idea if that would be covered as I won't touch anything associated with British gas.

The boiler is loosing pressure very fast. Having to represurised it every day. So it hints towards a central heating pipe leakage
adamderak09/11/2019 10:46

The boiler is loosing pressure very fast. Having to represurised it every …The boiler is loosing pressure very fast. Having to represurised it every day. So it hints towards a central heating pipe leakage

Yes that’s correct, I suggest you look for the leak and find it. Then call them back in and tell them you have found the leak.

The boiler is loosing pressure very fast. Having to represurised it every …The boiler is loosing pressure very fast. Having to represurised it every day. So it hints towards a central heating pipe leakage

thats different then. Maybe you should have pointed out that crucial point in the OP
Edited by: "chocci" 9th Nov

Hints but may not be.
cmdr_elito09/11/2019 11:20

Yes that’s correct, I suggest you look for the leak and find it. Then call …Yes that’s correct, I suggest you look for the leak and find it. Then call them back in and tell them you have found the leak.

And how do I find the leak?
adamderak10/11/2019 01:14

And how do I find the leak?

Where is the water coming out from? If it’s the loft the look in the loft with a torch in the vicinity above where the water is coming from in the house, roll back the insulation (use gloves and face mask).

You will probably find the water has run, look for where it’s started then gently run fingers around the pipe, feel water and you’ve found the leak. It’ll probably be dripping anyway.

If it’s in a ground floor and there’s no sign of water leaking on the floor above (check any pipes and radiators in the vicinity above the leak as they could be the source of it), you’ll need to lift the floor boards. Roll back the carpet, insulation’s etc and look there.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 10th Nov

If your boiler is losing pressure daily and topping it up is causing damage to your house, why keep topping it up? I know the heating won’t work but I’d rather that, than have water damage to my property.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants