Groups
    EXPIRED

EXPIRED - INFORMATION REQUEST: XBOX 360 RROD

Hiya,

Im not to clued up on the 360 scene, so im hoping people on here can give me simple easy to follow advice.

My friend has a xbox360, and it has the RROD. Ive offered to buy it from him, but need to know firstly if its a good deal, and then how to do a few things.

Its a XBOX 360 PRO (has the HDMI port). Its comes with 1 controller and all the cables, but has had the HDD removed. He's selling it to me for £20, so i reckon thats cheap enough?...

The question is:

- Why do i need a HDD, or do i even need one?
    - Is there any alternative to having a HDD?
    - Does it have to be a 360 HDD i use, or could one out a pc/laptop work too?
    - Its never been connected to XBOXlive, so it cant be banned can it?

Main question:

- I hear that Microsoft can fox this for me for free, but seeing as its my mates, do i need his details, or what information do i need?
    - Do i ring up microsoft, or is there a online way of doing this?
    - Can i fix this myself, or is this stupid as microsoft can do it for free?
    - If they fix it, can it still happen again?..
    ------need as much info on the above if possible, as this is the whole reason im planning to buy it, so it can get fixed......

LASTLY....

- is flashing a clever thing to do?...
    - i read something about iExtreme?.. whats this, and is this the best one to use?
    - how hard on a scale of 1(easiest) to 10 (hardest) is flashing to do???..

Cheers for any info anyone can shed on this..

Kandiman1983

10 Comments

Banned

- Why do i need a HDD, or do i even need one? You need a HDD for storage/memory

- Is there any alternative to having a HDD? Yes. Memory card

- Does it have to be a 360 HDD i use, or could one out a pc/laptop work too?Not directly, but you can connect your 360 to your computer using a device such as a Datel XSATA for Xbox360. This alows you to at least back up your data for future retrieval, and free up space for now.

- Its never been connected to XBOXlive, so it cant be banned can it? No, unless you play Games online before there release (i.e downloaded the game)

Original Poster

DangerGod;4652643

- Why do i need a HDD, or do i even need one? You need a HDD for … - Why do i need a HDD, or do i even need one? You need a HDD for storage/memory- Is there any alternative to having a HDD? Yes. Memory card- Does it have to be a 360 HDD i use, or could one out a pc/laptop work too?Not directly, but you can connect your 360 to your computer using a device such as a Datel XSATA for Xbox360. This alows you to at least back up your data for future retrieval, and free up space for now.- Its never been connected to XBOXlive, so it cant be banned can it? No, unless you play Games online before there release (i.e downloaded the game)

cheers.. thats very helpful.. so reckon it seems like a okay deal.. now just need to sort this RROD out, and im good to do... and oh.. find out about modding it too!:whistling:

RROD is covered for three years by MS

service.xbox.com/ser…x=1

Use this link and login(or create one) with your windows live id. You can then check the serial number. You can book it in for repair/print shipping label/arrange collection with courier/wait two-four weeks and its delivered back with 1 month xbox live code - all free of charge!

If the fault is not RROD you will be charged about £60 so make sure its defo that....

Original Poster

marmalade47;4652738

RROD is covered for three years by … RROD is covered for three years by MShttps://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx?mkt=en-gb&scrx=1Use this link and login(or create one) with your windows live id. You can then check the serial number. You can book it in for repair/print shipping label/arrange collection with courier/wait two-four weeks and its delivered back with 1 month xbox live code - all free of charge!If the fault is not RROD you will be charged about £60 so make sure its defo that....

its got 3 red lights.. so how do i know if its rrod or not?... secondly.. as stated, I'm buying this off my friend, sooo.. how do i do this, how do i inform microsoft that i brought the console now?

It seems strange that your friend doesn't want to get the console repaired if covered because he could sell for a lot more than £20.

When you register online it will tell you there if covered, the three years does not go from when you bought it of your friend

Original Poster

it dont matter that its registered (i think?) to my friend... ?.. how do i finf out if it is registered to him or not?..

i read this on wiki:

The warranty is only applicable to the person who originally purchased the Xbox 360. Microsoft will not honor the warranty for an Xbox 360 console that is known to have been bought secondhand.

but im sure i read a thread on here, where someone sold it, and the buyer got it repaired by microsoft...?

Original Poster

spoke to guy who im buying from.. seems its already been opened.. cant send to microsoft now.. plus,.. apparently.. its was secondhand when he brough it too..

I hear that Microsoft can fox this for me for free, but seeing as its my mates, do i need his details, or what information do i need?

You need to follow the link given above and see if the console has been registered and if it is still within the 3 year warranty

- Do i ring up microsoft, or is there a online way of doing this?

online, see above

-Can i fix this myself, or is this stupid as microsoft can do it for free?
    If they fix it, can it still happen again?..

there is a temporary fix for it but that invloves taking the console apart, it could still happen but it's unlikely

Original Poster

souljacker;4652938

-Can i fix this myself, or is this stupid as microsoft can do it for … -Can i fix this myself, or is this stupid as microsoft can do it for free?If they fix it, can it still happen again?.. there is a temporary fix for it but that invloves taking the console apart, it could still happen but it's unlikely

whats the temp fix?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win amazing travel prizes including £2000 travel voucher, flights and holid…11
      2. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…77
      4. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33

See more discussions