Expired

Exploding Beko washing machine door.

Found 31st Oct 2014
Hi. I was after some advice. My year and 3 month old beko washing machine door exploded on Wednesday whilst spinning on a 30degree wash. The glass went everywhere damaging clothes and carpet in front and obviously making the machine unusable. I rang beko and they said, under their good will, they would send out an engineer to look and consider if they could do anything. The engineer came out yesterday and looked. He confirmed that it had broken! I'm not sure how to progress this. I am completely traumatised by the whole thing. It was the first and probably last beko product I own. The washing is mounting, we'd been away before it broke so have load of washing! The hubby is stressing with me as I'm wanting to get another machine now rather than wait for beko to come back to us. Please can anyone help?
Community Updates
28 Comments
Don't you have a Laundromat you could take your clothes to?
Call Beko and refer to the link given by Susannah and ask them to cover costs incurred for getting your laundry done whilst you wait for them to replace the machine. (note I say replace) You need to be firm but straight forward that you consider it to be a design fault - see what response you get (ask them to confirm by email/writing (within 24hrs) and if you are not satisfied with their response then contact your local trading standards
What did Beko say when you phoned them again after the engineer had been over to inspect the machine?
Edited by: "cdm22" 31st Oct 2014
Unfortunate as it is you will need to let Beko reply in a reasonable period of time

I would suggest within a week of the engineer visit

Also see this from Beko's side

They will want to check that the broken door is not a result of user error / damage - in which case the owner of said washing machine will not be covered under any goodwill

Also Beko will be well aware of the issue reported in the post above so they will want to know if this really is another case of faulty manufacturing in which case I am sure they will be perusing with great vigour with their door supplier.

However, it is an unfortunate fact of modern life that there will also be persons who will jump on the bandwagon and having seen the above article and having a faulty washing machine just out of warranty / a washing machine they no longer like / fancy a new washing machine that will "replicate" a smashed door incident and kick up a fuss with the manufacturer to get a replacement / newer model .... it does happen - trust me !

I am not saying you are doing any of the above OP - but you do need to give Beko a reasonable time to reply.

Have they got back to you yet?

EliTom
A year and 3 months is way below what you would expect a washing machine to function for nevermind become an increadably dangerous appliance. You should realy be able to push them for a new appliance with all other expendature costs covered. If phone calls fail I would write a letter to the CE of Beko CCing thier customer services department, trading standards and BBC Watchdog. Make sure you have the CC list on your letter. Don't give up and follow up any letter you have sent that doesnt get a reply within 2 weeks.
Couldn't the engineer have brought along a spare door, and fitted it for you? Or is it beyond that? Sounds like your going to have about a fortnights worth of washing by the time anything's done now
buy another machine and send them the receipt with a cover letter by registered mail asking to be reimbursed. if they dont, tell them you'll sue them in small claims court. if they dont show up, you automatically win.
It has been two days! Beko sent an engineer out the day after it was first reported, give them a flippin chance people!
Meantime find your nearest laundrette and go get your washing up to date. Don't forget coins, powder and fabric conditioner. Their machines are very fast, much more so than home machines, so you shouldnt be there for too long.
Original Poster
Beko did phone back, they said they would refund the cost of the machine-well give me a reference so currys would refund the £300 or they could replace it by Thursday. I said I didn't want another Beko as it had scared me so much with the incident that had happened. That still leaves me with the cut up clothes and messed up carpet. The engineer accepted it was an issue with the glass. If I sent the clothes at my cost, and anything happens, I have no evidence. Can't imagine sending a full load of wet clothes is cheap either! Hubby is so stressed he is saying to forget it and put it down to a bad experience. Me, I'm stressed and can't sleep hence on here at 4.30am! Beginning to think hubby is right:(
Original Poster
Johnboy_1975

Couldn't the engineer have brought along a spare door, and fitted it for … Couldn't the engineer have brought along a spare door, and fitted it for you? Or is it beyond that? Sounds like your going to have about a fortnights worth of washing by the time anything's done now

No door! Glass went all inside too. I'd be getting glass in my clothes for weeks!
I think they've been really fair in accepting responsibility quickly and offering a replacement, take them up on the offer and ask if the flooring can be repaired at their cost too.
I know it's bad what happened but could of been very bad luck. Thankfully no one was hurt
mariefindlay

I think they've been really fair in accepting responsibility quickly and … I think they've been really fair in accepting responsibility quickly and offering a replacement, take them up on the offer and ask if the flooring can be repaired at their cost too.I know it's bad what happened but could of been very bad luck. Thankfully no one was hurt

read the T&Cs of the warranty that is contained in the back of the User Guide

I would bet that the warranty does not include consequential loss - so Beko have met all of their obligations in a timely manner, even when the product is out of warranty.

EliTom
Original Poster
I've Got a replacement. This one has got a plastic cover over the glass, so it won't happen again! Hopefully it won't happen to anyone else, it is however a known issue with Beko as they appear to have the most number of issues. I do think that manufacturers have a responsibility to deal with these issues. As the end user, I would be very concerned if manufacturer could wash their hands of accepting liability for an obviously known issue (that could be put right by a plastic cover costing about a fiver!) the new one is a whirlpool. Definitely will never buy a beko wading machine again. Thanks for comments. I will see what Beko say on Monday.
The link above did say even brands like Miele were effected. Also Beko are by far the largest supplier of washing machines in the UK so you would expect more to have this issue. It does ultimately sound like there is some supplier of washing machine glass that is making a poor product.

Out of interest what capacity is the washing machine. Just wondering if its a model with a very large door.

Lets also be fair about this. There is definitely the possibility of user error. If you leave coins in your pocket or some other hard or sharp item and it keeps hitting the glass then the glass could be weakened/damaged.

Beko, Miele and Bosch are three of the most reliable brands of washing machines and all are affected. It sounds like all three manufacturers have fitted safety glass that shatters completely perhaps to prevent injuries to children etc. Probably not a bad thing. Better than large pieces of sharp glass falling out I would of thought. Surprised more manufacturers haven't done away with the glass door as a cost cutting measure. Do you really need to see your washing going around and if you do wouldn't a very small glass area in the door suffice? I'd prefer a door designed to offer enhanced sound-proofing.
Donkii

A year and 3 months is way below what you would expect a washing machine … A year and 3 months is way below what you would expect a washing machine to function for nevermind become an increadably dangerous appliance. You should realy be able to push them for a new appliance with all other expendature costs covered. If phone calls fail I would write a letter to the CE of Beko CCing thier customer services department, trading standards and BBC Watchdog. Make sure you have the CC list on your letter. Don't give up and follow up any letter you have sent that doesnt get a reply within 2 weeks.

Why not cc the prime minister and Queen while you're at it. FFS.
soni155

I've Got a replacement. This one has got a plastic cover over the glass, … I've Got a replacement. This one has got a plastic cover over the glass, so it won't happen again! Hopefully it won't happen to anyone else, it is however a known issue with Beko as they appear to have the most number of issues. I do think that manufacturers have a responsibility to deal with these issues. As the end user, I would be very concerned if manufacturer could wash their hands of accepting liability for an obviously known issue (that could be put right by a plastic cover costing about a fiver!) the new one is a whirlpool. Definitely will never buy a beko wading machine again. Thanks for comments. I will see what Beko say on Monday.

Did you take them up on their £300 contribution offer?
Original Poster
moob

Did you take them up on their £300 contribution offer?

I will on Monday , when I speak to them.
Original Poster
bonzobanana

The link above did say even brands like Miele were effected. Also Beko … The link above did say even brands like Miele were effected. Also Beko are by far the largest supplier of washing machines in the UK so you would expect more to have this issue. It does ultimately sound like there is some supplier of washing machine glass that is making a poor product. Out of interest what capacity is the washing machine. Just wondering if its a model with a very large door.Lets also be fair about this. There is definitely the possibility of user error. If you leave coins in your pocket or some other hard or sharp item and it keeps hitting the glass then the glass could be weakened/damaged. Beko, Miele and Bosch are three of the most reliable brands of washing machines and all are affected. It sounds like all three manufacturers have fitted safety glass that shatters completely perhaps to prevent injuries to children etc. Probably not a bad thing. Better than large pieces of sharp glass falling out I would of thought. Surprised more manufacturers haven't done away with the glass door as a cost cutting measure. Do you really need to see your washing going around and if you do wouldn't a very small glass area in the door suffice? I'd prefer a door designed to offer enhanced sound-proofing.

It wasn't in tiny safe bits. It was in large sharp shards. And very fine sharp bits that cut into your fingers!!!! No coins or sharp things. I remove all things from pockets. Zip up zips putting inside out! It is a larger than average machine. I think it was a 6kg one. Not a massive door really. Not overloaded either. No scratches on the door either. Looked virtually new.
moob

Why not cc the prime minister and Queen while you're at it. FFS.

Why would you do that?

I was simply giving an other member some advice on how to complain if things didnt work out, as someone who works in a customer service department I gave the advise I thought would help. As everything seems to have worked out for the OP my advise wasn't needed. There was no need for your toolish remark IMO.

Edited by: "Donkii" 3rd Nov 2014
Donkii

Why would you do that? I was simply giving an other member some advice … Why would you do that? I was simply giving an other member some advice on how to complain if things didnt work out, as someone who works in a customer service department I gave the advise I thought would help. As everything seems to have worked out for the OP my advise wasn't needed. There was no need for your toolish remark IMO.

Your advice is way over the top and totally indicative of a growing problem within society regarding unrealistic expectations, hence my comment. If you have a complaint (and you'd think you would know this) you should start at the first tier of the complaints procedure. You're kinda going out all guns blazing by writing to a company's chief executive, Watchdog etc.

Also, you're employed within the customer service industry should know the difference between the noun 'advice' and the verb 'advise'.
moob

Your advice is way over the top and totally indicative of a growing … Your advice is way over the top and totally indicative of a growing problem within society regarding unrealistic expectations, hence my comment. If you have a complaint (and you'd think you would know this) you should start at the first tier of the complaints procedure. You're kinda going out all guns blazing by writing to a company's chief executive, Watchdog etc.Also, you're employed within the customer service industry should know the difference between the noun 'advice' and the verb 'advise'.

I was taking the first tier of the OP's complaint as the contact on the telephone, as it should be. If they didn't get anywhere that route I simply gave ADVICE ( I do know the difference it was a typo, but you just had to bring it up) on what to do next. I think someone who just had the door of a relatively new appliance explode dangerously should have the problem sorted quickly, as has happned here. I don't think its an unrealistic expectation, if anything the problem with society is they are all too willing to sit back and be fobed off over and over again by big companies/organisations. Complaints to a CE are handled very differently to complaints recieved at a stage 1 level, in both the private and public sector. Again my advice, as I pointed out, was only if/when the OP felt they were not getting anywhere.

Edited by: "Donkii" 3rd Nov 2014
soni155

It wasn't in tiny safe bits. It was in large sharp shards. And very fine … It wasn't in tiny safe bits. It was in large sharp shards. And very fine sharp bits that cut into your fingers!!!! No coins or sharp things. I remove all things from pockets. Zip up zips putting inside out! It is a larger than average machine. I think it was a 6kg one. Not a massive door really. Not overloaded either. No scratches on the door either. Looked virtually new.

In which case definitely seems like they are going cheap on the glass on modern washing machines. There is also the possibility that the washing machine could have had the glass weakened when delivered if the washing machine was mis-handled and dropped. 6kg is about average I would again unlikely to be the reason. Manufacturers are constantly trying to save costs and reduce weight of products, seems like another step slightly too far. When you described it as shattered/exploded it sounded like safety glass but from what you are describing now it sounds like a massive safety issue, very frightening.
Donkii

I was taking the first tier of the OP's complaint as the contact on the … I was taking the first tier of the OP's complaint as the contact on the telephone, as it should be. If they didn't get anywhere that route I simply gave ADVICE ( I do know the difference it was a typo, but you just had to bring it up) on what to do next. I think someone who just had the door of a relatively new appliance explode dangerously should have the problem sorted quickly, as has happned here. I don't think its an unrealistic expectation, if anything the problem with society is they are all too willing to sit back and be fobed off over and over again by big companies/organisations. Complaints to a CE are handled very differently to complaints recieved at a stage 1 level, in both the private and public sector. Again my advice, as I pointed out, was only if/when the OP felt they were not getting anywhere.

Yeah, you go from first tier telephone complaint right to the CEO. X)
moob

Yeah, you go from first tier telephone complaint right to the CEO. X)

A telephone complaint is absolutely no different to a written complaint no matter what the company tells you. If a customer feels they are getting no where with a company via the phone I wouldn't write a letter to the same department to get the same answer only in a written format. In all likelyhood CE wouldnt even see the letter addressed to him but it will be handled by a different person.
Donkii

A telephone complaint is absolutely no different to a written complaint … A telephone complaint is absolutely no different to a written complaint no matter what the company tells you. If a customer feels they are getting no where with a company via the phone I wouldn't write a letter to the same department to get the same answer only in a written format. In all likelyhood CE wouldnt even see the letter addressed to him but it will be handled by a different person.

I'm shocked and confused! You mean the CEO doesn't personally deal with each and every complaint!

That's it, I'm going to my MP, and skipping Anne Robinson!
moob

I'm shocked and confused! You mean the CEO doesn't personally deal with … I'm shocked and confused! You mean the CEO doesn't personally deal with each and every complaint!That's it, I'm going to my MP, and skipping Anne Robinson!

Good luck with that ;).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions