"Exploding" Ikea Glass cabinet injures a baby!

Editor 23
Found 8th Jun 2016
Apparently a glass cabinet purchased from Ikea shattered randomly, covering a 14 week old baby in glass! The baby came away with a small scratch to his face, which is fairly lucky considering the amount of glass that was scattered around. It could have got in his eyes or mouth, which would have been awful!

The mother initially complained to Ikea via social media where they offered her a £10 voucher! After chasing it up, Ikea refunded the cost of the cabinet, gave them a £50 voucher as well as some soft toys for baby. (according to liverpoolecho)

Although the lady (Who remains anonymous) Is more bothered about getting Ikea to issue a recall on the potentially dangerous cabinets.

Has anyone else experienced similar?
Community Updates
23 Comments
Original Poster Editor
News Source
[img]http://i4.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article11441141.ece/BINARY/JS91959818.jpg#[/img]

Edited by: "NeoTrix" 8th Jun 2016
Im sorry, but this one sounds like a scam to me!

That sort of glass does not "explode" unless maybe under extreme high heat.

Also I know this cabinet abd Ikea have sold tons of them, for a long time.

Looks more like the glass has shattered after some sort of impact... Perhaps from the little red ball/marble in the pic???
Maybe the baby was playing with a ball bearing gun?

Maybe the baby was playing with a ball bearing gun?



http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/Fionn-Whelan/Simpsons/Maggiegun.jpg
Yes but what's the price?
Marble looks sus, well spotted
what are those wires for do you think? could they give off extreme heat and therefore cause this?
katchiib

Im sorry, but this one sounds like a scam to me!That sort of glass does … Im sorry, but this one sounds like a scam to me!That sort of glass does not "explode" unless maybe under extreme high heat.Also I know this cabinet abd Ikea have sold tons of them, for a long time. Looks more like the glass has shattered after some sort of impact... Perhaps from the little red ball/marble in the pic???



​Totally agree. There's no way that would just happen unless heat or an over tightened bracket were involved. What a coincidence the kid was right next to it! And besides, the glass has done exactly what it should have and broken into tiny pieces.
Toughened glass contains nickle sulphide, which can spontaneously shatter the glass.

A heat soaking process was introduced to dramatically minimise this risk.

All those making assumptions, what's the specification of the glass type used?

I suspect 4mm, maybe 5mm due to the location of manufacturing but please, enlighten me on the toughening process.

Thanks.
This happened to ours only a few weeks ago Not sure it "exploded" tho.

Had it for many years, came down the stairs one morning to a similar scene, door was missing, with only a mountain of glass all over the floor.


Edited by: "jaybizzle" 8th Jun 2016
willhay555

Toughened glass contains nickle sulphide, which can spontaneously shatter … Toughened glass contains nickle sulphide, which can spontaneously shatter the glass.A heat soaking process was introduced too dramatically minimise this risk.All those making assumptions, what's the specification of the glass type used?I suspect 4mm, maybe 5mm due to the location of manufacturing but please, enlighten me on the toughening process.Thanks.



​I still call bs. The fact the kid just happened to be close enough to be hit by the glass is to coincidental. Smacks of compo chasing to me.

​I still call bs. The fact the kid just happened to be close enough to be … ​I still call bs. The fact the kid just happened to be close enough to be hit by the glass is to coincidental. Smacks of compo chasing to me.



I was actually thinking this. Who leaves a 14 week old parked between a glass cabinet and a TV/AV stand?

Also if my infant child were injured, compo/gift vouchers would be the last thing on my mind. I really would want the offending article recalled, not "chasing up" extra vouchers...
katchiib

Im sorry, but this one sounds like a scam to me!That sort of glass does … Im sorry, but this one sounds like a scam to me!That sort of glass does not "explode" unless maybe under extreme high heat.Also I know this cabinet abd Ikea have sold tons of them, for a long time. Looks more like the glass has shattered after some sort of impact... Perhaps from the little red ball/marble in the pic???



​well spotted Sherlock. when I read this the other day I actually thought it might have been heat off the cabinet lights.
as aa parent I'm unsure the first thing I would or anyone do after my baby was injured is make a story up for money .
Other exploding glass already posted:

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…759 ]

[ facebook.com/hot…018 ]

[ hotukdeals.com/dea…440 ]

[ hotukdeals.com/tag…910 ] *

MSK, standing in for Fanpages.

Second case of, 'if only they read misc, their child would never have been in danger' today.**

* Fanpages may not have linked to the washing machine post as it is an appliance not a piece of furniture.

** Fanpages would not have said this, he would have found something far more insightful to say. Sorry.

All spelling and grammar mistakes are my own responsibility and in no way reflect upon Fanpages.

Huh. I guess I am missing Fanpages today.
Edited by: "MSK." 8th Jun 2016
Must go find some similar DM-esque stories..
ashmac

as aa parent I'm unsure the first thing I would or anyone do after my … as aa parent I'm unsure the first thing I would or anyone do after my baby was injured is make a story up for money .



​Not everyone is as honest as you.
There is also no baby shaped void in the pile of glass. Therefore the baby was not on the floor by the cabinet.

Toughened glass contains nickle sulphide, which can spontaneously shatter … Toughened glass contains nickle sulphide, which can spontaneously shatter the glass.A heat soaking process was introduced to dramatically minimise this risk.All those making assumptions, what's the specification of the glass type used?I suspect 4mm, maybe 5mm due to the location of manufacturing but please, enlighten me on the toughening process.Thanks.


More accurately, toughened glass MAY contain nickel sulphide inclusions, but given the state of the glass panel, it would be impossible to locate the origin of the failure let alone tie it down to an expanding nickel sulphide inclusion.
The failure is more likely to have been caused by mechanical damage either due to some form of local stress raiser, such as an overtightened fixing or delayed failure following an impact. Toughened glass has an unfortunate habit of shattering long after the causal impact.
Not a scam at all my mothers exposed few weeks ago bought fro. IKEA Gateshead

Not a scam at all my mothers exposed few weeks ago bought fro. IKEA … Not a scam at all my mothers exposed few weeks ago bought fro. IKEA Gateshead


Lets have less of your mother exposing herself for money. This is a family site.
The glass looks very similar to windows on car doors after it smashes. If the same or similar then its designed to NOT hurt anyone after breaking up. The story may be true that the glass exploded for no reason (as others have come out to say the same happened to them), but i think the owner is making up the fact it hurt their child to try push for a replacement or even a claim. The child may of rubbed it on its face causing a scratch. I would happily stand under a sheet of this glass while it smashes over me, i very much doubt i would get a scratch.
This has just happened to my in-laws literally this past week. They were with us a week or so ago in ikea, saw a glass cabinet and bought it to display all their glass memorables, filled it, went out one day in the week and came back to what looked like a bomb had gone off in their living room.

We just assumed it was a freak occurrence, but after mentioning it to my sister she sent us a load of links to similar occurrences with ikea glass. Suddenly doesn't seem such a freak occurrence any more.
Post a comment
Avatar
@
    Text

    Top Discussions

    Top Merchants