Expired

*EXPOSED* Is Dream It Believe It Achieve It a real charity?

Found 1st Feb 2013
Hi all,

Well yesterday whilst nipping in Boots for something I was walking out when 2 'reps' stopped me (they had a stall set up in store) and pressure talked me into donating to their charity for disabled children and helping them achieve sport related chances.

I enquired all about it at the time and they showed me some materials which looked quite poorly constructed, but as I work in a school and had just taken training in emotional wellbeing for children I was caught at the right time really, and was pretty keen to help.

I was asked if I could donate £500 - £1000 which I said no, then £50-500 and again I said I could not just donate that kind of money. I said I'll donate but something less, she then said £5 was the least (as all donations received scratch cards to win a BMW or something)

Anyway, since arriving home I researched them more - and can only find a TERRIBLY constructed website and no solid information anywhere on the charity practises or where donations have gone etc.

The reps never stopped saying how Matt Dimbylow was the leader of the charity and how he was trying to raise and make it the biggest in the UK etc.

I also have found for some reason several different registered charity numbers listed in searches for their name - such as these:

1. facebook.com/Tea…DBA ---803342
2. The scratchcard itself ---1134684
3. everyclick.com/dre…nfo ---CT31129
4. dreamitbelieveitachieveit.org ---268369

All money raised from this site claims to go to the charity too: royalweddingcards.co.uk/ but with no charity number stated anywhere, or extensive details on the charity.

Also listed as a company on here: companies-uk.co.uk/dre…355

Needless to say also that the address varies on almost every site, with their current address on site: 98 Middleich Road Northwich Cheshire CW9 7DA being linked to several different accountants and companies!!!!!!

I cannot stand the thought of my money going into somebodys pocket instead of benefiting the individuals with disabilities!!!

UPDATE 23/02/14 - Charity has been exposed by national newspaper Daily Mirror mirror.co.uk/new…193
Community Updates
AskKindle
231 Comments
No offence but you could have said no then looked them up.

They don't have guns or shine a torch in your eyes, if you are not familiar with a charity just say not today thank you and keep walking.

It looks like they are part of CAF Charities Aid Foundation. registered with the Charity Commission under number 268369
Mark2111

No offence but you could have said no then looked them up. They don't … No offence but you could have said no then looked them up. They don't have guns or shine a torch in your eyes, if you are not familiar with a charity just say not today thank you and keep walking.

I know Mark, I feel a bit of a fool for doing it but if anything good has come from it I will now try my best to stop it happening to others.
I'm grumpy this evening, sorry.

Something isn't right on this page either:

http://www.everyclick.com/dreamitbelieveitachieveit/info

All the recent donations for 'Deaflympics'

Click on some of the titles on the left, they're all the same? Poorly constructed descriptions with copied watermarked images off Google or something?
My mother always gives in to pressure by this type of charity hard selling She drives me mad.
I almost had a punch-up with a 'charity' guy asking for my card details on the doorstep, he became really aggressive when I said his ID was questionable (which it was). I refuse to even talk to them now, If I donate to charity I do it online.
spaceinvader

My mother always gives in to pressure by this type of charity hard … My mother always gives in to pressure by this type of charity hard selling She drives me mad.I almost had a punch-up with a 'charity' guy asking for my card details on the doorstep, he became really aggressive when I said his ID was questionable (which it was). I refuse to even talk to them now, If I donate to charity I do it online.

Same now. I'll ALWAYS be saying 'I only donate online' from now on if I get pressured by these reps.
spaceinvader

My mother always gives in to pressure by this type of charity hard … My mother always gives in to pressure by this type of charity hard selling She drives me mad.I almost had a punch-up with a 'charity' guy asking for my card details on the doorstep, he became really aggressive when I said his ID was questionable (which it was). I refuse to even talk to them now, If I donate to charity I do it online.

You should have just knocked him out spaceinvader. You can't beat a fight with the Air Ambulace on your front doorstep
They get commission so never give money, just do it directly or your just adding to their wage.
I won £10 on the scratch card yesterday but told to go on internet to get winnings sent to me ,, however it says I need to login in but can't login in anywhere and also it's saying my unique code is too short ??
To register for the prize draw please click on either the Pin and Win or Scratch and Support Icon on the home page, depending in the type of card that you purchased.
To claim your winnings please complete the details on the reverse of the card and send to the promoter address also on the reverse of the card. Your winnings will be sent by return.
TeamDBA, if you are part of this charity it would be great if you answered the OP's concerns about multiple charity numbers?
The comments above, are disappointing and show a lack of understanding and awareness of what DBA is currently doing for sport in the UK.

When DBA was established, it was agreed by the Trustees of the Disability Sport Development Trust that we could raise funds under their Charity Number 803342. The reason been, that the aims of DBA were like those of the DSDT and it would save the administration cost associated with forming a charity. The funds raised supported the Great Britain CP and Blind Football Teams, as well as The Rhythmic Gymnastic Team to compete at the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The Charity Number 1134684 is that of the East London Leisure Trust, with whom we work closely and and to whom we have made donations to enable them to launch projects in the area.

CT31129 is not a charity number, but a reference used by Everyclick to identify a fundraising body, on their system.

All proceeds currently go to the Dream It Believe It Achieve It Foundation, a trust administered by the Charities Aid Foundation, and whose Charity Number is 268369. CAF will be responsible for the governance and administration of our proceeds, along with our leadership team, ensuring that the funds that we raise make a real difference in the communities that we operate.
TeamDBA.

What percentage of donations actually go to the cause? What percentage is used in wages/dividends and administration?

What I'm asking is if the average Joe donated £1 how much goes to the good casues?

Have you got any documentation to prove this?
DBA has no employees and pays no dividends. CAF takes a management fee of 1%.
TeamDBA, I contacted Boots soon after for some info on your charity and received nothing as a 'previous manager' had sorted it out. Though, the current manager informed me she had received so many complaints from your 1 day in the store that she had decided not to have to back again.

I would like to know who the two suited reps were? How were they paid for an entire day standing in a very busy store talking to hundreds of people?

I can't help but feel bad about speaking this way of a charity - but it really is only because I want the money to benefit the communities you listed above.

Please understand to be a credible and well-trusted charity you need to get the basics right. You must get a decent website with rolling weekly/monthly up to date news and information. Where are you recent accomplishments or where are the photographs of people / places benefitted by the money? There're more photographs on the site of ordinary people winning your money competitions than there are of the charity!

Your current website looks like it was knocked up by a school kid. It's outdated, nothing has changed since I last looked 3 months ago. Everything is dated 2012 or less! - and as per my original post all your promotional materials instore were bits of 'self-laminated' paper or print outs!!!

Secondly, a more down to earth approach with the marketing. Lose the office-wear and use to nationwide branded t-shirts or jumpers always with ID shown. Contact other companies to assist with your nationwide advertising? Billboards, adverts, leaflets, TV, radio?? Where are they all?!! I hear nothing about you!

Too much of your charity scared me and I won't be donating to it again - I'll find a new route. I simply cannot trust any of the above.
Edited by: "letslaughadam" 12th May 2013
Plus - WHY are members of the public walking along the street being asked if they can donate £500 - £1000 and then £50 - £500?!!!!!!!!! Madness!
Edited by: "letslaughadam" 12th May 2013
Please be aware that this is an open forum, what is written down you are accountable for.

It disappointing that you feel the need to judge the charity by the quality of the website and not the work that we do.

We have for some time been aware of the need for the redesign of the website and this is currently in progress. Of course should you have the time and skills to enable this to be done at zero cost then we would welcome the assistance.

We are currently going through a full rebrand and production of corporate wear.

We could choose to spend money on billboards, adverts, leaflets, tv and radio, but that would then mean that less money is spent on the projects that we support. At this point in time we feel that this is not justifiable expense.

Whilst will welcome your comments on how we should run our organisation, we feel that we are best positioned to make informed decisions about the way in which we fundraise.

Should you require any further information, then please feel free to contact us via email:

info@dreamitbelieveitachieveit.org.
TeamDBA

Please be aware that this is an open forum, what is written down you are … Please be aware that this is an open forum, what is written down you are accountable for.It disappointing that you feel the need to judge the charity by the quality of the website and not the work that we do. We have for some time been aware of the need for the redesign of the website and this is currently in progress. Of course should you have the time and skills to enable this to be done at zero cost then we would welcome the assistance.We are currently going through a full rebrand and production of corporate wear.We could choose to spend money on billboards, adverts, leaflets, tv and radio, but that would then mean that less money is spent on the projects that we support. At this point in time we feel that this is not justifiable expense.Whilst will welcome your comments on how we should run our organisation, we feel that we are best positioned to make informed decisions about the way in which we fundraise.Should you require any further information, then please feel free to contact us via email:info@dreamitbelieveitachieveit.org.

Facepalm should be along anytime now......
I appreciate your responses TeamDBA. I take pride in charity work, last year for the first time ever I personally organised an entire 3-day charity weekend. We raised just under £2000 for a very well-known charity. I am doing it all again very soon. Nobody was paid. All proceeds went direct to the charity.

Fortunately I am an honest person and all my comments have email responses if required.

I'm pleased to hear certain improvements will appear soon and wholeheartedly wish you all the best with your charitable endeavours.
TeamDBA

DBA has no employees and pays no dividends. CAF takes a management fee of … DBA has no employees and pays no dividends. CAF takes a management fee of 1%.

You avoided most of my questions with your reply.

From the vague reply you gave I presume you were trying to get people to assume that the charities will get 99% ie 99p for every pound and CAF will get 1p for every pound.

However I'm guessing you forgot to mention any other other costs?

Were the 2 suited people in the OP's post paid for the day or was it entirely voluntary?

I repeat my earlier questions:

What I'm asking is if the average Joe donated £1 how much goes to the good casues?

Have you got any documentation to prove this?

Also TeamDBA: Who are you? What is your involvement with DBA? Do you get any renumeration from DBA?
I was duped into buying a substantial number of scratch cards. Firmly believing I was merely making a donation to a worthy cause, only to be presented, finally, with a bunch of cards and a badge, which when I got home realised they were scratch cards valued at £10 each!
The card reader didn't work, so I withdrew cash. After handing over the cash, and a few celebratory hugs & photos etc. I was given the cards, but not enough, they had 'run out' and would post the remainder - lets see, eh?
This leaves a very nast taste in the mouth, and will certainly stop me giving to 'charities' in this way ever again.
I expect pretty much all my money to go to a charity, not some undisclosed amount, that has been mentioned in earlier posts.
It looks like we're uncovering something quite concerning here.

I wonder what route we can go down to investigate this organisation in full?

Once again I've checked out many of the Deaflympics donations on their EveryClick site (http://www.everyclick.com/dreamitbelieveitachieveit/info) - poor grammar, poor spelling, repetitive use of the same phrases, bizarre names, pasted sentences, unusual amounts donated, stock photography used on personal pages?

There seems to be some kind of big scam-donation-kinda-thing going on here!!!!

Please be aware that this is an open forum, what is written down you are accountable for.

It is evident from the comments that there is a lack of understanding as to how Everyclick works.

Should you require any further information, then please feel free to contact us via email:

info@dreamitbelieveitachieveit.org.

nbuuifx

You avoided most of my questions with your reply.From the vague reply you … You avoided most of my questions with your reply.From the vague reply you gave I presume you were trying to get people to assume that the charities will get 99% ie 99p for every pound and CAF will get 1p for every pound.However I'm guessing you forgot to mention any other other costs?Were the 2 suited people in the OP's post paid for the day or was it entirely voluntary?I repeat my earlier questions:What I'm asking is if the average Joe donated £1 how much goes to the good casues?Have you got any documentation to prove this?Also TeamDBA: Who are you? What is your involvement with DBA? Do you get any renumeration from DBA?

nbuuifx

You avoided most of my questions with your reply.From the vague reply you … You avoided most of my questions with your reply.From the vague reply you gave I presume you were trying to get people to assume that the charities will get 99% ie 99p for every pound and CAF will get 1p for every pound.However I'm guessing you forgot to mention any other other costs?Were the 2 suited people in the OP's post paid for the day or was it entirely voluntary?I repeat my earlier questions:What I'm asking is if the average Joe donated £1 how much goes to the good casues?Have you got any documentation to prove this?Also TeamDBA: Who are you? What is your involvement with DBA? Do you get any renumeration from DBA?

If you make a donation to the CAF Dream It Believe It Achieve It Foundation of £1 than the full £1 goes to the foundation. If you agree to Gift Aid then the full gift aid amount, in this case £0.25 will also go to the foundation.
TeamDBA

Please be aware that this is an open forum, what is written down you are … Please be aware that this is an open forum, what is written down you are accountable for.It is evident from the comments that there is a lack of understanding as to how Everyclick works.Should you require any further information, then please feel free to contact us via email:info@dreamitbelieveitachieveit.org.If you make a donation to the CAF Dream It Believe It Achieve It Foundation of £1 than the full £1 goes to the foundation. If you agree to Gift Aid then the full gift aid amount, in this case £0.25 will also go to the foundation.

You are still avoiding the question! How much goes to the good causes? You are now saying the foundation gets all the money but how much of that goes on wages on costs at the foundation?

How much actually really goes to the good causes at the end of the equation?

By avoiding these questions you are in my opinion making yourself look worse. Any charity should be able to be open.
As stated previously the foundation has no employees and pays no dividends. CAF take a management fee of 1%.

If you make a donation to the CAF Dream It Believe It Achieve It Foundation of £1 than the full £1 goes to the foundation. If you agree to Gift Aid then the full gift aid amount, in this case £0.25 will also go to the foundation, minus the CAF fee.

Therefore if you were to make a donation to the foundation of £100 and then chose to add the gift aid of £25, then £125 would go to the foundation. In this instance the fee by CAF would be £1.25, and £123.75 would be available to for the causes that we support.
To be fair to DBA, I emailed them & explained the situation, I received a return phone call & they were quite concerned, result being, that I will be refunded the full amount. Not something a 'scam' organisation would do. But as has been suggested by others, all my future donations will be done online.
From all accounts, they do seem to be doing a pretty good job.
tmarps

To be fair to DBA, I emailed them & explained the situation, I received a … To be fair to DBA, I emailed them & explained the situation, I received a return phone call & they were quite concerned, result being, that I will be refunded the full amount. Not something a 'scam' organisation would do. But as has been suggested by others, all my future donations will be done online.From all accounts, they do seem to be doing a pretty good job.

Thanks for the update.
I was approached today by a rep at my local B&Q , so I purchased a pin & win scratch card for £10, didn't win so I went on to the website to enter the prize draw and it says all draws are now closed. isn't this illegal? did I just get coned ? what's your answer to that TeamDBA

P

BRELL69

I was approached today by a rep at my local B&Q , so I purchased a pin & … I was approached today by a rep at my local B&Q , so I purchased a pin & win scratch card for £10, didn't win so I went on to the website to enter the prize draw and it says all draws are now closed. isn't this illegal? did I just get coned ? what's your answer to that TeamDBA

Please click on the Pin and Win icon and enter your prize details. If the card was purchased today then the campaign will be open.
In my local Sainsbury's on Bootham in York yesterday 30th May 2013 I was highly pressurised into donating £20.00 to this so called charity. I offered my credit card as payment and they refused insisting on my debit card instead. Something is not right here thinking about it now it was dodgy as hell. When I checked the two scratch cards they were both losers and when I checked the number for the main prize on line it said it did not exist. Feel I have possibly been conned out of £20.00 of my hard earned money. Will never ever fall for this again a big lesson learned. In future check out first and send direct only. Zale of York
I don't think the high-pressure selling makes them dodgy. All the big name charities do the same.. I've have a guy from the Red Cross who was still pressuring me when I said "I'm just a tourist", he wanted to take down my foreign bank account details. In the end I gave up my mobile number only to get a call from some snotty nose kid who said "Hello sir, I'm from the Red Cross; how about you donate £500 today.. no?, what about £400?.. " I just hung up.

Maybe they are flogging off expired scratchies which if this is the case needs to be jumped on.
Please ensure that you select the correct campaign and enter your code correctly.
Update from Charlie172dog. Complained to Sainsbury's head office in London about this outfit. Got put through to the manager at my Local Sainsbury's store on Bootham in York. Was told to return to store where this outfit Dream it Believe it Achieve gave me my £20.00 BACK in CASH. Which will now be sent direct to The Dogs Trust charity in Leeds. DODGY DODGY DODGY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please only send to charity DIRECTLY Much Love ZALE OF YORK
Dream it, Believe it, Achieve it was established in 2010 and is licensed by the Gambling Commission to operate and run lotteries (licence number 30525).

We aim to provide opportunities and support people with physical disabilities through physical fitness and competitive athletics.

Therefore, the money that we raise provides much needed funding for adaptive sports equipment, training and competition expenses to enable disabled athletes to compete at all levels.

We are proud of the money that we raise and thank the generosity of our customers, our corporate sponsors and the hard work of our sales representatives.

If there has been an issue with your entry in to the Major Prize Draw or if you have any other questions, please email info@dreamitbelieveitachieveit.org with the details and one of our team members will have the problem rectified.
I too parted with a tenner in our loacls M & S store for a pin & win card. A "charity" who had been given space in M & S had surely been checked out - or had they ??. Upon looking up the website I found the Pin & Win campain was closed as the major prize has been drawn. It clearly states on the reverse of the ticket, the major prize will be drawn 30 days after the sale of the last ticket or on 31st Jan 2014, whichever comes first. I just felt a little duped, in that by the time I'd checked my ticket it was void.
And yes - the website looks very unprofessional....
The draw has not been conducted for the type of scratch cards that you have purchased.
The message you saw on the website is referring to a previous campaign which just recently finished.
The campaigns that are now closed are clearly indicated at the top of the registration page.
As stated in the post a campaign cannot until close until 30 Days after the last sale of the ticket or draw date as specified on the card.
Therefore, you will be able to go ahead and register your codes in order to enter the major prize draw.

If there has been an issue with your entry in to the Major Prize Draw or if you have any other questions, please email info@dreamitbelieveitachieveit.org with the details and one of our team members will have the problem rectified.
Take note TeamDBA, from the popularity and comments this thread has generated- you seriously need to sort yourselves out.

I shall be enquiring with all the organisations you state you've supported for more information.

I seriously think basing a wholesome charity supporting disabled individuals does not go hand in hand with gambling scratchcards and lottery prize draws with winnings of £20,000 / £40,000.
Should you require any information regarding the projects that we have supported or help contacting the organisations we have assisted, please email info@dreamitbelieveitachieveit.org with the details that you require.
Our Private Client Manager at CAF has been made aware of the incorrect statement that has been posted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants