19 Comments

whip out the drive an try in a external case

Original Poster Banned

boothy;8839196

whip out the drive an try in a external case

:? it is in an external case

dj_urban;8839217

:? it is in an external case

I know...its likely the case is screwed but the drive is ok....happens all the time

Original Poster Banned

boothy;8839222

I know...its likely the case is screwed but the drive is ok....happens … I know...its likely the case is screwed but the drive is ok....happens all the time

where can i find a new case?

it still powers on etc but my pc or laptop/ ps3 cant find it anymore

wd5000c032-002

images.sabob.com/pro…peg

what i think Boothy is trying to say is open up the external case, remove the current hard drive and try a different hard drive in it, if it doesn't find the new hard drive then it is likely to be the case.

Original Poster Banned

I have no other hdd to try it in other than a 40gb 2.5" if that would work

if not and we shall presume it is the casing, where can i get new casing?

dj_urban;8853362

I have no other hdd to try it in other than a 40gb 2.5" if that would … I have no other hdd to try it in other than a 40gb 2.5" if that would work if not and we shall presume it is the casing, where can i get new casing?

it wouldnt work

go to amazon/ebay and get a cheap 3.5" one

Original Poster Banned

boothy;8853393

it wouldnt workgo to amazon/ebay and get a cheap 3.5" one

Would this one work fine with it

dj_urban;8853458

Would this one work fine with it 310222307618

yes

Errr, better idea is to take HDD out of case and connect it as internal drive to a desktop PC for testing. (you can do this immediately if you have a pc)

If you have no SATA cable, you can temporarily remove a cd/dvd drive one for testing with the HDD.

If it works in your PC, just buy a new usb/eSata caddy (Usb for a PS3)

Original Poster Banned

amzmalhotra;8853566

Errr, better idea is to take HDD out of case and connect it as internal … Errr, better idea is to take HDD out of case and connect it as internal drive to a desktop PC for testing. (you can do this immediately if you have a pc)If you have no SATA cable, you can temporarily remove a cd/dvd drive one for testing with the HDD.If it works in your PC, just buy a new usb/eSata caddy (Usb for a PS3)

:thumbsup: cheers will try jus now

Original Poster Banned

My pc is 8 yrs old i think different connections i can't do it that way

Which is the better option

Buy a new inclosure

or

buy a new EXT HDD

put back to fat or ntfs

Oh no, people recommending you buy something you don't need because they have no idea what exFAT is.

Nice one.

Original Poster Banned

dontasciime;8853880

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955704 or install w7

is there one that can work with vista?

Original Poster Banned

PhearFactor;8853923

Oh no, people recommending you buy something you don't need because they … Oh no, people recommending you buy something you don't need because they have no idea what exFAT is. Nice one.

I really don't know much on the technical side of pc/laptops only the basics changing chips hdd's etc

Plug the hard drive into your Vista laptop and see if you can locate the drive in Disk Management and re-format it to NTFS.

Tutorial for Disk Management here: windowsreference.com/win…ta/

oh sh*t! sorry, I didnt read the part about you switching from ntfs to exfat before.

(But tbh I didnt tell you to buy anything without testing first)

Reformat your drive as long as you don't mind losing what is on it; if anything.

If there is stuff on it, you can install this driver from microsoft ]http//su…704 for xp
in order to read the exfat file system.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Skateboarding advice (beginner) 25/yo213
    2. With or without cream?22
    3. Is it illegal to sell train tickets?33
    4. Sweet Sunday Codes11

See more discussions