Groups

Extend TV power cables?

Just had some trunking etc fitted to allow for a TV to go on the wall with wires hidden. I assumed it would be easy to get an extension for the tv power cable but it seems manufacturers do not follow any sort of standard.. Will I void my warranty if I don't use the cable it came with? And do manufacturers offer their own extended cables?

Cheers!

15 Comments

What connection is on the back of the TV?

Assuming it's a standard figure of 8 lead, you should just be able to any other longer one. Buy one off Amazon, but perhaps from a reputable brand rather than a cheap Chinese job. A longer lead would avoid the need for an extension

Original Poster

I haven't got the tv yet. Was going to get a Samsung (not yet decided), but currently have an LG. They don't all use a kettle lead like I expected/hoped
    Edited by: "delusion" 9th Dec 2016

most TV's use the figure 8 leads, I got a 3m one off Amazon for my wall mounted Sony.

The Chinese will make anything; when you have the new TV, have a look at the TV end and then search for longer cables that match
    I found one quite easily for the weird round 3 pin LG plug on Amazon.

Failing that, buy an inline connector, cut the main plug off and fit an extra length of cable with a new UK plug on the end.
    (Which is what I did until the above arrived from China)

Original Poster

Cheers all, I've seen you can get different leads by third parties but will it void warranty using one usually?

I've been told cutting the manufacturers plug and extending is cause to void warranty by a friend but surprised the manufacturers themselves don't offer them if that's the case.

delusion

Just had some trunking etc fitted to allow for a TV to go on the wall … Just had some trunking etc fitted to allow for a TV to go on the wall with wires hidden. I assumed it would be easy to get an extension for the tv power cable but it seems manufacturers do not follow any sort of standard.

delusion

I haven't got the tv yet... They don't all use a kettle lead like I … I haven't got the tv yet... They don't all use a kettle lead like I expected/hoped

If I interpret correctly, you currently have a kettle-type (C14) female in the trunking and you may need to convert to figure 8 (C7) male, in which case something like these including angled versions. You may be able to obtain same via a short cable.

delusion

Cheers all, I've seen you can get different leads by third parties but … Cheers all, I've seen you can get different leads by third parties but will it void warranty using one usually? I've been told cutting the manufacturers plug and extending is cause to void warranty by a friend but surprised the manufacturers themselves don't offer them if that's the case.

Just buy a decent longer cable. it won't void your warranty.
    I've done the same for my Samsung which needed about an extra 10cm to fit my setup

delusion

Cheers all, I've seen you can get different leads by third parties but … Cheers all, I've seen you can get different leads by third parties but will it void warranty using one usually? I've been told cutting the manufacturers plug and extending is cause to void warranty by a friend but surprised the manufacturers themselves don't offer them if that's the case.

If you have room at the rear of the TV, retain the originally-supplied TV mains cable and convert whatever comes out of your existing trunking into a standard mains socket. If your current cable in the trunking is kettle C14 female, consider something like ebay.co.uk/itm…929

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

If you have room at the rear of the TV, retain the originally-supplied TV … If you have room at the rear of the TV, retain the originally-supplied TV mains cable and convert whatever comes out of your existing trunking into a standard mains socket. If your current cable in the trunking is kettle C14 female, consider something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302139190929

Thanks, they haven't filled over the trunking yet so fully able to get a single full length cable. The consensus seems to be that it won't void warranty which is good to hear.

Still surprised all manufacturers don't follow a standard though!

Unless I'm missing something obvious why do you not just use a normal extension lead and plug the TV Mains lead into that?

most tvs now have the "kettle lead" like you do on a pc.
    You can buy that upto 10 meters

if the lead is screwed into the main back frame. Then you may have problems

Original Poster

Uridium

Unless I'm missing something obvious why do you not just use a normal … Unless I'm missing something obvious why do you not just use a normal extension lead and plug the TV Mains lead into that?

Wall mounted TV, no room for an extension lead behind the mounting, it needs a power lead for the tv long enough to travel through the trunking (about 4-5 meter cable required). The idea is that all wiring is hidden.

Original Poster

ccwjames

most tvs now have the "kettle lead" like you do on a pc.You can buy that … most tvs now have the "kettle lead" like you do on a pc.You can buy that upto 10 metersif the lead is screwed into the main back frame. Then you may have problems

Yeh I wish they were all kettle leads!

delusion

Wall mounted TV, no room for an extension lead behind the mounting, it … Wall mounted TV, no room for an extension lead behind the mounting, it needs a power lead for the tv long enough to travel through the trunking (about 4-5 meter cable required). The idea is that all wiring is hidden.

Just noticed you said you haven't bought TV yet. I think you need to get past that step first...the TV might even come with a long enough power cable.

If not then plenty of sellers on amazon/ebay etc have a large variety of assorted plug end or male to female exntion cables for
    Kettle (IEC C13)
    Fig 8 (IEC C7)
    Clover (IEC C5)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Samsung Galaxy S655
      2. How to get best deal on sky23
      3. HUKD new UI55
      4. Stream Showbox from Bluestacks?46

See more discussions